BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Our Loaned Players In Action

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rover.gif WAS WATCHING THE CHAMPIONSHIP at the weekend and sheff wed have a burton o,brian is it our old trianee tinykit.gif

362338[/snapback]

Yes although he wasn't just a trainee...we bought him and David Mcnamee. Mcnamee is back in Scotland with Livingston and did well enough to be called up to the full Scotland squad last season.

The decision to slim down the academy scene to clubs fielding one U18 side is definitely a positive step imo. The chances of a player slipping through, perhaps, is increased but that is off-set by the fact less expense goes on players who will clearly not make it.

I think the youth international scene could do with something similar - although obviously not reducing to just one youth side per country but what is the point of U17s, U18s, U19s and U20s? How many of these players even make it to the U21s?

362071[/snapback]

I'd disagree. Its made the reserve league a lot weaker with far more young players in it. Granted this gives more youngsters a chance at this level but it was not the level it was. IMO the step up from reserve level to premiership level is far greater these days which may be one of the reasons that contribute to why less players are breaking into the first team, the jump in quality is much higher they are far less prepared.

Serious attitude problems! What a cupid stunt eh?

Yep and I think that could be seen when for the reserves. Can't remember which game it was but he was captaining the reserves and was getting a hard time from the opposing centre forward. Rather than role up his sleves like the Admiral or Todd would do he proceeded to have a paddy on the floor. You can also see it when he made runs which weren't singled out, many again resulted in him having a winge.

If he could sort out his attitude problems I think he could make it. IMO his success came far too soon. His speed needs to improve most of all, but that's the duller aspect of training, and I'd be worried that he wouldn't sort his attitude out to deal with it.

Didn't Gally play wide midfield roles for us a couple of times? He did OK, if memory serves.

362440[/snapback]

He played wide but suffered from a lack of pace and dribbling ability. Also he alway wanted to drift inside. His crossing was good though!

If Gally is going to make it as a player it will be in the mold of Sheringham. All his strengths mirror big teds- good short passing, good movement, good finishing. THe problem for Gally is that to convince a manager to play you in that role you need to be bloody good at it, and I am not sure he really is.

Two things will infinately increase his chances- putting on some muscle, and putting in a 100% every match. Whether he wants to do that is the big question.

Nonetheless I cant see him making a career on the wing.

One thing Gallagher definitely has in his favour is fantastic technique when it comes to kicking a football. His crossing is decent and long range shooting, including the dead ball, is also generally good.

It sounds like he's refinding the form at Stoke that he was showing for the reserves before making the step up to the Rovers firsts.

Any updates on Matty Derbyshire

Bit of an MGP/Souey/Hughes situation with Matty. The manager who signed him departed soon after he arrived and the new man, Tony Pulis (that aesthete of fine football wink.gif ), has his own preferences - namely, 6ft plus beasts to play up front to get their heads on the long ball. He does make the odd late sub appearance, I think.

Edited by rover6

I went on North End on Saturday and Jemal looked out of his depth at that level. :s He didn't seem to have any understanding with the players on his team - going into spaces but his teammates didn't once play him in with a good ball. Perhaps he's used to playing with better players who can spot his runs and that's why he looked useless?!?

I think he would have been better off staying at Rovers than going out on loan.

I must admit it's a bit disappointing that non of our young home-grown players have made some sort of impact since Hughes became our manager. I remember how good it felt when McEveley was having a great game at OT, when Gallagher got the winner at St.James' and of course when Stead (not home grown, but young and exciting) saved us from relegation. Jonathan Douglas also made some decent performances the same season.

When I as an Norwegian feels the "buzz" having a homegrown player involved, then there must be at least as exciting for a Blackburn born supporter to experience the same thing!

If we could get some of our young players more involved, and of course they have to bring something to the party, then I'm sure that in itself would making the trip down to Ewood more tempting.

I think its very important for a local, small town club like blackburn to have at least one or two home-grown players involved with the first team. I hope to see at least one "unknown" youngster on the bench in our game against Charlton in the Carling Cup!

I think its very important for a local, small town club like blackburn to have at least one or two home-grown players involved with the first team. I hope to see at least one "unknown" youngster on the bench in our game against Charlton in the Carling Cup!

362490[/snapback]

I agree but our squad is so big that youngsters are going to have to do something exceptional to even get on the bench. That's not saying fringe players like Gresko, Flitcroft, Mokoena, Jansen etc are exceptional but Hughes will nearly opt for their experience to fill gaps.

That's not saying fringe players like Gresko, Flitcroft, Mokoena, Jansen etc are exceptional but Hughes will nearly opt for their experience to fill gaps.

362497[/snapback]

I would rather see Joe Garner on the bench at Charlton than Matt Jansen, he surely can not do much worse, and he at least knows where the goal stands!

Loan Players tonight:

McEveley- full 90 in Ipswich's 3-0 defeat at home to Reading

Johnson- Unused not even on subs bench

Derbyshire- Unused sub

Gallagher- started but subbed after 76 mins in Stoke's 2-1 defeat vs. Derby

Douglas- Time wasting substitute as Leeds beat Dingles 2-0

Loan Players tonight:

McEveley- full 90 in Ipswich's 3-0 defeat at home to Reading

Johnson- Unused not even on subs bench

Derbyshire- Unused sub

Gallagher- started but subbed after 76 mins in Stoke's 2-1 defeat vs. Derby

Douglas- Time wasting substitute as Leeds beat Dingles 2-0

362597[/snapback]

And you wonder why Hughes even bothers wink.gifunsure.gif

Well Harkness scored for Blackpool in their LDV defeat at Carlisle last night and I think he is one of our's.

The only one of our loan players in the Pepsi Challenge who is enhancing his chances at the moment is Matt Derbyshire by virtue of not being picked by one of football management's neanderthals....

At least we know we can safely flog the rest if anyone will offer anything more than discarded ring pulls for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.