BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 0 Newcastle 3

American

Lee Bowyer, Lee Clark, Amdy Faye and Charles N'Zogbia.

That's only a soft/easy midfield to play against if someone shouts "Lee's ball" and they both go for it.

Otherwise, it shows the strength in depth up at St James's. It could easily pass muster as a decent mid-table Prem midfield line-up with a less neurotic manager in charge.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to God we play 4-4-2 on Sunday. Newcastle are dodgy at the back so we need to get at them. If we pack the midfield I can see a 0-1 defeat with Owen getting his first goal. If we go for it we can beat them confortably. Please don't give that arrogant git an excuse to gloat Rovers.

I hope to God we play 4-4-2 on Sunday. Newcastle are dodgy at the back so we need to get at them. If we pack the midfield I can see a 0-1 defeat with Owen getting his first goal. If we go for it we can beat them confortably. Please don't give that arrogant git an excuse to gloat Rovers.

346752[/snapback]

When was Owen ever arrogant ? Always struck me as pretty unassuming.

I agree with putting Bentley on the right but if we do play a 4 I think we need Mokoena in there - he's the only player we have who can regularly break down opposition attacks and with Reid and Sav both prone to making forward runs I think his calming influence in the middle is essential.

Friedel

Neill

Nelsen

Zurab

Matteo

Bentley

Savage

Mokoena

MGP

Bellamy/Kuqi

Jansen

Enckelman

Gresko

Emerton

Tugay

Bellamy/Kuqi/JJ

346631[/snapback]

definately bentley on for emerton but id say bellamy and kuqi and jansen as a sub!!! playin bentley for emerton maybe will make emerton imrpove a little!!

I'd stick Emerton in right midfield and have Savage and Bentley/Reid centre with MGP on left

346648[/snapback]

ya i guess if wanna use 5 mids, and 1 striker, get rid of moekena for bentley for sure!!! but moekana does a job that they wouldnt ( as in they more attacking) plus i want 2 strikers for once dammit!! if not then go back to 5 mids!!

Have always loved this match, and it always seems to have added signifcance, usually with Rovers coming out on top. Winning the Prem, getting into Europe, Shearer's first return since his move to Newcastle - all were cracking occassions with Rovers taking home the spoils. All were settled by some pretty cracking goals as well - from Shearer Gally and Sutton. Added to which we've had a few exciting draws as well in recent years so expectations of a good game are definately high.

Interestingly both teams have grudges to settle, most of the Rovers team over Souness, who I suspect isn't going to get a good reception, whilst Souey & Shearer will want to get one back on a certain new signing of ours. It's a pity that Todd isn't able to play and that Neill won't get a chance to pay back Robert for a nasty wack a few years back to crank it up an extra few notches. Nevertheless I still think that it's going to be a pretty intense occasion.

Rovers should feel optimistic. Anyone who watched match of the day last weekend saw Newcastle put in one of the most shambolic defensive displays ever against Fulham, who must be wondering how they didn't win. Even Rovers and our lack of goals must be thinking this is the way to finish off our scoring problems.

Rovers have every chance of outfighting Newcastle especially with Emre and Parker absent, and Jenas no longer there. Hence a 4-4-2 and our combatative nature should be enough to  out fight the barcodes, the 4-5-1 would be an overkill in this situation, and wouldn't really take advantage of the rabbit-in-the headlights defending that Newcastle seem so fond of producing. 

My team therefore would be:

Friedel - automatic

Neill - been performing very well

Matteo - Souness seems not to believe in wingers, and as Carr played right mid last week I don't see Matteo having too much trouble with regards to pace, unless Owen uses the channels. Added to which his utter lack of offensive capabilities will not be as important a factor in a 4-4-2 formation.

Nelsen - immense and instructed to mark Owen

Mokoena/Zurab - I'd be tempted to go for Moko, as he seems a bit more physical and better in the air, which will be needed against Shearer. With Nelsen to partner him maybe he'll be less impetuous and more disciplined. Zurab seemed to have a hard time against Davies.

Reid - combatative, can get stuck in and dominate the Newcs midfield, as well as being able to get forward and terrorise the barcodes defence.

Savage - ditto

Emerton - played well in the 2nd half, added to which Emerton is more defense minded than Bentley which could be all important in a 4 man midfield.

MGP - if he whips those crosses into the Newcastle box there'll be havoc.

Bellamy - point to prove and will pounce on any defensive lapses.

Jansen - whilst not a sphysically robust as he once was, all Jansen's goals last season seemed instinctive and opportunistic. The barcodes are more then likely to help jog Matty's predatory instincts and the lad is far more likely to snap up any mistakes and chances then Kuqi with his touch of a fairy elephant.

subs; Enks, Tugs, Zurab, Bentley, Kuqi.

The biggest worry for me is Owen but I reckon the best way to stop him is to deny him service. With our combatative approach hopefully this'll limit the service to Owen and dominate the midfield. Having said that I wouldn't be suprised if Hughes stuck with the 4-5-1 returning Tugay to the starting line up.

Souness' last game with the barcodes - quite possibly.

346671[/snapback]

ya, only thing robert is at portsmouth now

basically!!! this is a game we have to b up for!! for the souness effect and for bellamy!!! now with it all going wrong for them at the mo and none of their first midfield available, and the fact that they play bramble in defence!! we really should b favourates!!!

if we loose this, or draw a lame game!! ill b soooo dissapointed!!

good luck boys

ya, only thing robert is at portsmouth now

346814[/snapback]

Hmmm...can you please not quote entire posts when you're referring to only a small part of it? It just makes it hard to read for everyone else.

You can reply to more than one than one person in a single post as well you know...

Merci.

Hmmm...can you please not quote entire posts when you're referring to only a small part of it?  It just makes it hard to read for everyone else.

You can reply to more than one than one person in a single post as well you know...

Merci.

346822[/snapback]

sorry why?? who are u?? do u work here?? well sorry for annoying u!! what do i need to push then?? i push reply quote!! and to reply to many in 1 is very hard considering they are all dispersed!!

sorry i do not know the etiquette!!! pfff

This has all the hallmarks of a classic for many reasons....

1. The return of the "SAS" - Chop Souey (a dish both sets of fans will be craving) & Big Al, ambling his way to retirement on his old stomping ground

2. Michael "still not match fit but good enough to displace J. Cole for England?" Owen coming up against the Admiral in only his 2nd game for the barcodes

3. Bellamy will be wound up like a petrol pump attendant, out to prove a point to Souness & Shearer

Having said that, I'm predicting a nil-nil scoreline with both teams reduced to 10 men.

This has all the hallmarks of a classic for many reasons....

1. The return of the "SAS" - Chop Souey (a dish both sets of fans will be craving)  & Big Al, ambling his way to retirement on his old stomping ground

2. Michael "still not match fit but good enough to displace J. Cole for England?" Owen coming up against the Admiral in only his 2nd game for the barcodes

3. Bellamy will be wound up like a petrol pump attendant, out to prove a point to Souness & Shearer

Having said that, I'm predicting a nil-nil scoreline with both teams reduced to 10 men.

346848[/snapback]

with Bellamy and shearer the men sent off

Lee Bowyer, Lee Clark, Amdy Faye and Charles N'Zogbia.

That's only a soft/easy midfield to play against if someone shouts "Lee's ball" and they both go for it.

Otherwise, it shows the strength in depth up at St James's. It could easily pass muster as a decent mid-table Prem midfield line-up with a less neurotic manager in charge.

346744[/snapback]

Precisely. Reserves usually have lots to prove, and these are reserves of quality.

Whatever system we play we need to negate the threat of Bowyer who imo is in their first choice midfield anyway.

Quality players (like Spurs at the start of last season) must be underachieving simply through poor leadership.

3. Bellamy will be wound up like a petrol pump attendant,

346848[/snapback]

I'm struggling with that one.

Looking forward to this, it always seems to be a good game with Newcastle. Rovers to win 2-1.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.