[Archived] Background Story On Nelsen

jkritchey

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hows his departure affected DC United?

347395[/snapback]

Brutally early on. Mostly in the leadership area. They were extremely fortunate to find a youngster who has filled in well at CB, and the keeper has played well, so the defense has been better than average. Since Mid Summer, DC has climbed back up the table and for a period was the classiest side in MLS IMHO.

But the difference between DC at the end of last season, when they won the Cup, and the beginning of this year, was huge. Struggled to find an identity and a leader IMHO.

Blessed with the best coach in MLS though, and they are looking better for a final run.

Thanks for asking....

Good grief - what on earth was all that stuff about the draft?  How's that all work then?

347418[/snapback]

I think it's something to do with the worst team in the league gets to pick the most promising new players first. In an attempt to keep things fair..or equal or something.

I dunno.

Nice! smile.gif

Hughes obviously did his homework thoroughly on Nelsen.

347394[/snapback]

And last night he won his home town's Sportsperson of the Year award, unheard of for a footballer in this part of the world, given that other nominees included the All Black vice-captain and scourge of Woodward's Lions, Richie McCaw. Also picked up the supreme award, ahead of the rugby Super 12 champions. Story here

I think it's something to do with the worst team in the league gets to pick the most promising new players first. In an attempt to keep things fair..or equal or something.

I dunno.

347460[/snapback]

Close enough. There's a pool of players that the teams choose from, including College players ready to move on. It goes worst to first for 2 or three rounds. Anyone not selected is free to sign with anyone. It is possible to arrange a 'trade' of your draft positions.

The CB DC United is using in Nelsen's stead was undrafted and until last weekend, played every minute of every game, including a scoring header against Chelsea in a friendly. Shows great promise. But in true DC United style, they have just brought in a stylish defender from Argentina to compete for Nelsen's old slot.

Edited by jkritchey

Or he got lucky after an agent's recommendation. I don't even Hughes would boast about doing a lot of 'homework' on Nelsen.

347584[/snapback]

What a pathetic thing to say! The Defence was a shambles before nelsen arrived so Im sure hughes didnt do much homework on looking for a new defender did he!

What a pathetic thing to say! The Defence was a shambles before nelsen arrived so Im sure hughes didnt do much homework on looking for a new defender did he!

347586[/snapback]

You do injustice to the word shambles biggrin.gifunsure.gif

As for Nelsen, I'm not sure how much homework Hughes and his boys had to do. They probably just saw him play for DC United a few times, brought him in on trial for a week and offered him a contract. He's clearly a talent, no matter what level he was playing when they first spotted him. Mokoena is the one I'm most impressed with; he looks absolutely pants at the back, yet he's sublime in the defensive midfield role. Excellent scouting thumbs-up.gif

You do injustice to the word shambles biggrin.gif  unsure.gif

As for Nelsen, I'm not sure how much homework Hughes and his boys had to do. They probably just saw him play for DC United a few times, brought him in on trial for a week and offered him a contract. He's clearly a talent, no matter what level he was playing when they first spotted him. Mokoena is the one I'm most impressed with; he looks absolutely pants at the back, yet he's sublime in the defensive midfield role. Excellent scouting thumbs-up.gif

347590[/snapback]

That's pretty much how I remember the Nelsen story, Exiled. Did he have a week of 'trials' though or longer? Either way, bit of a contrast to how things were done with good old Ciccio.

As to Axe, I can't say I follow world football, but hadn't (and doesn't he now) play exclusively at centre back for S Africa? Was it the same for Genk so a change to midfield for us was the first time he'd played there?

Anyway, the point of all this smile.gif (that's probably been made before) - it's good to see that MH is not willing to splash the cash (even if it's 'only' wages) on someone he hasn't had chance to run the rule over. Let's hope this is all true for Savage and the 3 mill turns out to be well spent smile.gif

Exactly Mum- rover6 should go round for tea one day to learn something about football.

Sparky had been an international manager for five years so the chances are he'd analysed most of the world's international sides. After all as Welsh manager, there's not a lot you're going to learn from going to watch Cefn Newydd Druids and their ilk in the Welsh League and you've got to fill in your time between internationals....

Exactly Mum- rover6 should go round for tea one day to learn something about football.

Sparky had been an international manager for five years so the chances are he'd analysed most of the world's international sides. After all as Welsh manager, there's not a lot you're going to learn from going to watch Cefn Newydd Druids and their ilk in the Welsh League and you've got to fill in your time between internationals....

347595[/snapback]

Actually, I was fully expecting him to sign up a couple of players from the lower leagues. As international manager of a team that draws a lot of its squad from outside the Prem, plus he was free on Saturdays, I thought he must have seen more lower league games than the rest of the Prem managers put together. Apparently not - or there's no Keegan's at Scunthorpe these days.

347595[/snapback]

Okay! Hughes was quoted as saying that he was very surprised that Nelsen was snapped up by someone else, which indicated to me that he didn't know too much about him before he came on trial. Maybe I've interpreted that wrong, however, both the Nelsen and Mokoena signings started off, as far as I have heard, with agents contacting Hughes.

BTW: It's okay r'mum, I'm not coming around for tea - you can come out of your wardrobe now. smile.gif

Edited by rover6

I think he should be the permanent captain. I'm sure he wouldn't go headbutting people and costing us.

347837[/snapback]

On the contrary I think him getting suspended has been "good". It has given Zurab the chance to play in the first XI, and he has demonstrated his ability at this level, and given Todd a challenge to win his place back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.