SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Brom At Home

cn174

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never sided with the Savage out brigade, but at the same time I've never been entirely convinced that he's played his best stuff for Rovers...

... Although, the fact that I'm struggling to pick someone to adequately replace him tomorrow must mean he's doing something right.

The candidates: (to partner Tugay)

Mokoena: Can break things up in midfield and is good protection for the back 4, although is nowhere near as mobile as Savage who seems to get everywhere. Yes, Savage's range of passing is questionable but when Mokoena is about to try a square ball across the midfield I shudder with fear at the thought of it being intercepted. I actually prefer him to launch it into the far corner.

Bentley: I rate Bentley, although only playing alongside Savage, not with Toogs, he doesn't have the necessary defensive skills to play in a line up without Savage/Mokoena except perhaps if played wide on the right.

Reid: After a brilliant pre-season we've not really seen the best of Reid recently... Mostly played in a wide or central attacking midfield role, but I do think he has the defensive capabilities (played RB a few times) to protect the back 4, allowing Tugay to venture further forward and supply Bellamy with the service he needs... the Tugay/Bellamy partnership showed glimpses of being very effective in the first half at OT last week.

Some folk have mentioned trying Emerton in the middle. NO!

I'd be very surprised if Filtcroft forced his way back in, although the fact that he's played alongside Tugay many times and knows exactly what's required of him in that partnership means it may be no bad thing.

Zurab has played that position for Rangers a good few times too.

I say play the same team as last week, except Savage and let Sparky decide who replaces him.

2-0 Rovers tinykit.gif

Bellamy 17

Savage replacement 81 tongue.gif

Att. 21,046

Im going for Rovers to win 2-0 with Bellamy grabbing one of them.

After the nightmare of the last home game and then winning away to ManUre I think the players will be determined to put on a good show for the fans...We look more solid at the back and with certain players finding form / full fitness we actually look like posing a threat up front...

I would go for Bentley on the right with Reid in the midle and Emerton in the car park selling programmes...Kuqi up front with Bellamy.

No Jemal Johnson in the "likely squad" on rovers.co.uk?

Should get a win here, will be interesting to see whether Sparky changes the formation without Savage. Could get Reid in though..

Could also put Lucas at right midfield, push Zura to right back and allow Todd to partner Nelsen. Bentley alongside Tugay should be a little lightweight though sad.gif

Prefer Emerton on the right with Reid next to Toogs. More defensive solidity than Bentley. Keep him on the bench if inspiration needed later - his best performance was from off the bench at Bolton.

Pretty sure he'll keep the same front two after last week. Can't decide if I'd prefer Kuqi - he is Dickov on speed, but then I just can't forget Dickov's vital goal contribution last year.

I can't understand the debate on here - it has to be Reid in the centre. The problem with him early season was that he and Savage are too similar - both being members of the headless chicken brigade. However, pairing him with Tugay is ideal as he has the althetisim to make up for Tugay's ageing legs, and Tugay has the class to make up for Reids (at times) limited passing.

Though it may seem harsh - I would drop Dickov for Kuqi. I think WBA will be play defensive which won't give Bellamy the room to exploit his pace (unless we score early). In this situation a bit of height may help to ruffle a few feathers and leave Bellamy with a few knock-downs to feed off. Also - realistically - Kuqi is no worse a finisher than Dickov.

Also - realistically - Kuqi is no worse a finisher than Dickov.

350403[/snapback]

There is no proof in the world what so ever to back this statement up.

Dickov is a much better player than Kuqi, which is the reason why Dickov scored more last season than Kuqi will EVER score for Rovers.

squads for the match....

Blackburn's Robbie Savage is suspended having already collected five yellow cards this season.

Steven Reid or Aaron Mokoena will fill in, while captain Andy Todd is available after missing the last four matches through suspension and illness.

Striker Kanu (hamstring) is West Brom's only injury doubt as they bid to improve on a record of one point from the last 15 available.

Martin Albrechtsen is back after being suspended for the Charlton game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Neill, Khizanishvili, Nelsen, Gray, Bentley, Emerton, Tugay, Mokoena, Pedersen, Dickov, Reid, Bellamy, Kuqi, Jansen, Gresko, Todd, Enckelman.

West Brom (from): Kirkland, Watson, Davies, Clement, Robinson, Gera, Wallwork, Johnson, Greening, Campbell, Earnshaw, Kamara, Moore, Ellington, Horsfield, Kuszczak, Albrechtsen, Kanu.

some good media at last biggrin.gif

Skysports.com prediction: 3-1

Blackburn's attacking formation will prove the difference on Saturday.

odds on the game.....

Blackburn 5/4 Draw 9/4 West Brom 10/3

stats for the people who like this sort of thing huh.gif

Team Blackburn Rovers West Bromwich Albion

Games Played 7 7

Goal Attempts

Goals 5 7

Ave Goals per game 0.71 1.00

Shots (excl blocked shots) 71 64

% Shots on Target 42% 34%

% Goals to Shots 7% 11%

Passing

Short Passes 1,707 1,521

Long Passes 792 766

Overall Pass Completion % 72% 72%

Crossing

Total Crosses 166 180

Cross Completion % 23% 26%

Defending

Goals Conceded 9 13

Ave goals conceded per game 1.29 1.86

Tackles 249 218

Tackles Won % 74% 69%

Blocks, Clearances & Interceptions 295 319

Discipline

Fouls 120 94

Yellow Cards 13 15

Red Cards 2 0

Shillito 15 - that flashing red thingy on your signature is doing my head in 

I`m with Roversmum on this one. Any chance of kicking it into touch?

It would be appreciated smile.gif

i don`t want to have to disable my signatures, cos i enjoy seeing what people do to customise their posts.....but that`s got to be the worst, most annoying one ever!

....Sorry for being a grumpy old f@rt unsure.gif

Was Neill a midfielder when we bought him? I seem to recall he played right mid for Millwall.

I think we should...bring Todd back in, put Zura at RB, push Lucas to RM and bring in the Axe to play DMC. Tugay can't play DMC any more. I'd much prefer to see him playing 10 yards inside the opposition half rather than ours.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.