BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Taylor

He has played for England U19 and U20, so he must be a talented player, anyone seen him play, if so, do you think he can be a first team regular?

Just seen the interview on Rovers world, where they talked about us having many players who can play left back, and it would be hard for him to earn a 1st team place. They didn't mention anything about the fact that they are all crap though.. wink.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although left footed, he played right back in pre-season.

Handy skillful player, One for the future.

351953[/snapback]

Any chance he could play against Leeds? We should try using some of these younger players in the League Cup and such, give them some first team experience..

We should play our best team in the 'League' Cup and try and win it. A good run at least will give us some much needed excitement.

Taylor looks good and should make the breakthrough eventually.

We should play our best team in the 'League' Cup and try and win it. A good run at least will give us some much needed excitement.

351958[/snapback]

Agree, but surely picking Taylor over Gray won't make us much worse.

Although left footed, he played right back in pre-season.

Handy skillful player, One for the future.

351953[/snapback]

"One for the future" is often said of the younger players.

But Duff is at Chelsea, Dunn is at Birmingham as are Johnson and Tiny Taylor.

Paul Gallagher, Douglas and McEvely are out on season-long loans.

All these have been described as "one for the future"

Strikes me that at Rovers tomorrow never comes.

Man U brought a squad through the youth team with Beckham, Scholes etc.

Surely our first team should by now contain at least 3 or 4 developed youths.

give the guy a shot in the carling cup, some folks have said he can play anywhere in the back 4 too.

would like a good run this year, still remember 2002!!

wot a day!! biggrin.gif

351970[/snapback]

I've seen Taylor play versus Sunderland, and from what i saw, was mightly disappointed in his play, couldnt believe that hes played at international level.

He could possibly make a career in the lower leagues, though that might be a big ask .

"One for the future" is often said of the younger players.

But Duff is at Chelsea, Dunn is at Birmingham as are Johnson and Tiny Taylor.

All these have been described as "one for the future"

351968[/snapback]

We are not Man Utd. If a player is very talented they will move on (I hate that fact as much as the next person but its reality) what is important is the fee's that we have got for these "products" and the list you reel off up there is £20M+ which of course has helped stabilise the club long after the players departure.

So lets not kid ourselves "one for the future" now means the next big pay day (after a couple of years worth of entertainment obviously).

However I do agree the production rate and/or quality has gone down. Might be a factor that other clubs facilities have caught up and/or inability to attract the right calibre after our two year spell in the doldrums.

We are not Man Utd. If a player is very talented they will move on (I hate that fact as much as the next person but its reality) what is important is the fee's that we have got for these "products" and the list you reel off up there is £20M+ which of course has helped stabilise the club long after the players departure.

So lets not kid ourselves "one for the future" now means the next big pay day (after a couple of years worth of entertainment obviously).

However I do agree the production rate and/or quality has gone down. Might be a factor that other clubs facilities have caught up and/or inability to attract the right calibre after our two year spell in the doldrums.

351979[/snapback]

The Academy won the inaugural National Competition last season and are doing a Chelsea in the Northern Section so far this season- and that's with a few well under age players in the squad.

It seems that the calibre of youngster being brought to the club is not at fault based on that evidence- we are still gatting the cream.

Whether any are good enough to progress further is the $64,000 question.

After producing some gems- Dunn and Duff, it seems that we have generated a group of players good enough for League football but not the Prem in recent seasons.

Players like Barker and Garner are the ones I am hoping will burst through at the highest level in the near future.

Edited by philipl

Agree, but surely picking Taylor over Gray won't make us much worse.

351963[/snapback]

you can't be serious?? I've been to all the games Mickey has played this season, and he played, okay against huddersfield, exellent against man u, and good match against west brom! He is an attacking left back, witch gives great support for MGP on the left flank!

PS! but i agree to give Taylor a chance against leeds! we should pick some youngsters, but still pick a good side!

Edited by pks1984

Taylor might've already had a first team appearance this season as replacement right back for the suspended Lucas Neill but for some bad luck. Having featured throughout pre-season as Neill's under-study, there was a strong possibility that Taylor's league debut would've been out-of-position against Villa. However, I believe he was injured at the time and Steven Reid deputized.

Players like Barker and Garner are the ones I am hoping will burst through at the highest level in the near future.

351987[/snapback]

I agree that the current crop of youngsters is excellant and there are some good prospects in there now.... but out of Gallagher, Douglas and McEvely, Derbyshire, Peter and Johnson I dont think there is a Duff or Dunn equivelent on the verge of the first team... would absolutley love to be proved wrong....

Most likley to prove me wrong: Sergio Peter

But I definentley think we will have a gem in the next two seasons and your pick Garner could be the one, his career so far has been like reading fiction... not so sure about Barker lets see how he gets on...

Man U brought a squad through the youth team with Beckham, Scholes etc.

351968[/snapback]

That is not comparable to any academy in the country. It was just a complete but fortunate fluke that crop of star players all coming from one youth team......... borne out by the fact that MU have produced nothing like as good as even one of them since in the 12 years since they made their debuts.

Man United were extremely lucky when Beckham, Scholes, etc came through in so far as so many came through at once. It will never happen again. They were, by and large, able to stop at United for many years due to the size and stature of that club.

I used to watch both our youth teams around 1997/98. For cup games they were allowed to pick from both years and play a sort of merged team. Beattie and Thomas up front with Johnson and Duff the wide men - what a team! I even went to Bury away on the strength of watching Duffer play.

Dunn and Taylor emerged shortly after. On the whole our Academy has been almost second to none although it's fair to say it has "dried up" in recent seasons. Part of the problem is that all teams in the PL are sh!t scared of getting relegated and as such want instant success if they are seen to be struggling. Thus they buy established players, many from the continent, instead of bringing on home grown talent. In turn, the young, local, lads on PL teams' books get farmed out to lower league teams and have to work their way back up if they are good enough.

I still think and hope McEveley will be able to make the grade with Rovers. Let's hope that soon both Taylor and Jay are competing with each other for that left back spot.

give the guy a shot in the carling cup, some folks have said he can play anywhere in the back 4 too.

351970[/snapback]

I damn well hope they don't do that. Have you forgotten the Souness years when he treat every cup competition including Europe with disdain? It would just p1ss off the supporters even more to repeat that bolloxup. Besides this Leeds game is more of a banana skin than a gimme imo. Clubs should ALWAYS play their strongest team hoping to have the game 'safe' by the middle of the second half before blooding any kids.

I damn well hope they don't do that.  Have you forgotten the Souness years when he treat every cup competition including Europe with disdain?  It would just p1ss off the supporters even more to repeat that bolloxup.  Besides this Leeds game is more of a banana skin than a gimme imo.  Clubs should ALWAYS play their strongest team hoping to have the game 'safe' by the middle of the second half before blooding any kids.

352066[/snapback]

Playing one or two youngsters should not jeopardize our chances. If MGP had not played in that Cardiff FA cup tie (I think Emerton might've pulled out late) he might not have broken into the team until much laster.

The league cup should be a platform to introduce one or two of our top young players and see how they fare.

Man United were extremely lucky when Beckham, Scholes, etc came through in so far as so many came through at once. It will never happen again. They were, by and large, able to stop at United for many years due to the size and stature of that club.

I used to watch both our youth teams around 1997/98. For cup games they were allowed to pick from both years and play a sort of merged team. Beattie and Thomas up front with Johnson and Duff the wide men - what a team! I even went to Bury away on the strength of watching Duffer play.

Dunn and Taylor emerged shortly after. On the whole our Academy has been almost second to none although it's fair to say it has "dried up" in recent seasons. Part of the problem is that all teams in the PL are sh!t scared of getting relegated and as such want instant success if they are seen to be struggling. Thus they buy established players, many from the continent, instead of bringing on home grown talent. In turn, the young, local,  lads on PL teams' books get farmed out to lower league teams and have to work their way back up if they are good enough.

I still think and hope McEveley will be able to make the grade with Rovers. Let's hope that soon both Taylor and Jay are competing with each other for that left back spot.

352064[/snapback]

One of the few eminently sensible proposals to come out of FIFA in the last year or so was the one that clubs should be compelled to use a pecentage (can't remember what % off hand) of locally produced talent in their squads. Unfortunately this has been rejected out of hand by the money grubbers that call the shots in the Premiership.

Two questions.

1.) The title of the thread is 'Blackburn born', thats all well and good but more importantly, was he brought up in Blackburn? And....

2.) Is he a Blackburn fan?

352254[/snapback]

I played football with him for my church team. I used to see him at church and still see his mother and father who are extremely nice people. Hes from the Lammack area of Blackburn.

I'm pretty sure he was a Rovers fan too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.