BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crouch

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So are we discussing Crouch`s physical appearance or his football ability?

It would seem many are being influenced and discussing the former and let it sway their opinion on the latter.

I think he is a good player.

Ok so Crouch didn't have the greatest of games but it was hardly so bad that it deserves quite so much ridicule. The reaction on here seems typical of the herd mentality which means ridicule for players who deviate from the norm. Heskey was another, as was Waddle, Barnes, even when they played well on occasion they were complained about. Crouch might be a nightmare but let's give him more of a chance than this.

Although not great he did a few things of note. Not that I think he is good enough for the England team but his performance doesn't deserve such negative reactions.

Seems like he is just an easy target.

352732[/snapback]

He is an easy target because by any measure you choose he is not an England striker. He has scored no goals this season, nor did he score particularly many for Southampton and even fewer for Aston Villa. He has, in my mind, yet to do anything to convince that he is premiership class let alone international. People talk about his touch and his "good feet for a big man". Sorry, if you want good feet try Jermaine Defoe. If you want good feet and somebody who can jump, try Matt Jansen. If you want a battering ram used to being a lone striker and scoring from set-pieces try Kevin Davies. Crouch is only in the squad because Liverpool bought him for a lot of money, and if he played for us, or Bolton, or Charlton, he would be nowhere near it.

However, it isn't his fault and you wouldn't expect a player to turn down an opportunity to play for England so the boos were unfair. Perhaps they were for Eriksson for his selection?

How can we take the rest of your post seriously after that?

353091[/snapback]

The point I was trying to make, which has passed you by, is that you cannot take Peter Crouch seriously as an international player, and there is a long list of players who are better equipped then he is - of which Matt Jansen is near the bottom (but still better than Crouch)

What sort of footballing crowd boos one of it's own crowds. huh.gif

Perhaps Jim could enlighten us huh.gif

353047[/snapback]

rover.gif i was at old trafford last night and felt for crouch when he came on as sub,fans around the country know what crouch is about and think he is not worthy off the shirt,but for the lad to be booed was back to the days off john digger barnes,who was ridiculed for his colour not his skill tinykit.gif

Kevin Davies: I could do a better job as England target man than Peter Crouch!

Yeah in your dreams mate!  tongue.gif  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif

353102[/snapback]

Have you seen crouch play?

Both big wastes of money in there hay day.... biggrin.gif

Even though he is a muppet, i'd rather have davies in than crouch, but crouch just beats heskey!

rover.gif i was at old trafford last night and felt for crouch when he came on as sub,fans around the country know what crouch is about and think he is not worthy off the shirt,

353115[/snapback]

Was it not the case that the boos were for Ericsson's decision to bring off Wright Phillips rather than for bringing Crouch on as such ? (if you get my drift)

It's fair to say that Crouch shouldn't be near the squad but then again that's not his fault the manager picked him . It seems to me that if he's on the pitch the temptation will always to be to float the high ball up to him . Not good enogh at this level .

As for Wright- Phillips - I'm not sure he's the wonder people think he is ; a lot of good running but nothing like the required quality when it comes to the final ball . Pity he's at Chelsea , he may not the chance too often to improve to the high standard necessary for us to win the World Cup .

Perhaps there's a threshold beyong which extra height is of no benefit.

I've never seen him have to leap to head the ball, he's always crouching (sorry) down to meet it.

You can't get the same sort of power if you're doing that (I think).

If they stuck the ball higher in the air and he leaped for it, he's have to get over it to head it down, otherwise he'd put it into the nearest block of flat. laugh.gif

Was it not the case that the boos were for Ericsson's decision to bring off Wright Phillips rather than for bringing Crouch on as such ? (if you get my drift)

rover.gif i've heard a few people come up with this excuse,if you were in the ground everyone knew crouch was about to come on,taking off wright-phillips was roundly booed,but the worst booing was when couch entered the arena,a shame for the lad but international football is all about opinions tinykit.gif

It's ferk all to do with poor Peter Crouch and everything to do with "Swedehead" imo. I was'nt there so I'd like to think the booing was for the manager's actions.

1. Sven is nothing more than a yes man to the national press and media as verified by Heskeys demise and Crouch's meteoric rise to stardom since signing for Liverpool. It's a sick and shambolic way to manage a pub team never mind England.

2. His substitutions are both baffling and pointless. All Sven did v Poland was worsen the team in an important match by making substitutions simply imo for the sake of doing so! Nothing needed changing.

3. Crouch does represent tactical options to the team in times when tactical changes are necessary imo. OK he's not the greatest header of a ball despite his height but replacing Owen with Defoe doesn't offer much different does it? We could have won THAT game v Brazil (and possibly the World Cup) if we had had a Crouch (or similar) option once Brazil were down to 10 men and their centre halves's (who like all Brazilians were totally shytte in the air) apparently glued to the 18 yard line. The numpty still had his men trying to pass the ball down non-existant channels 'behind' the Brazilians ffs!

4. BUT.........Tactical options do NOT include putting on a 6'7" striker whilst taking off the only winger on the pitch do they? What a bloody charlatan Ericcson is eh? No forget that....he's just a twot! It's him that exposed Crouch to public ridicule by playing him with no natural supply lines.

It's ferk all to do with poor Peter Crouch and everything to do with "Swedehead" imo.  I was'nt there so I'd like to think the booing was for the manager's actions.

1.  Sven is nothing more than a yes man to the national press and media as verified by Heskeys demise and Crouch's meteoric rise to stardom since signing for Liverpool.  It's a sick and shambolic way to manage a pub team never mind England. 

2.  His substitutions are both baffling and pointless.  All Sven did v Poland was worsen the team in an important match by making substitutions simply imo for the sake of doing so!  Nothing needed changing.

3.  Crouch does represent tactical options to the team in times when tactical changes are necessary imo.  OK he's not the greatest header of a ball despite his height but replacing Owen with Defoe doesn't offer much different does it?  We could have won THAT game v Brazil (and possibly the World Cup) if we had had a Crouch (or similar) option once Brazil were down to 10 men and their centre halves's (who like all Brazilians were totally shytte in the air)  apparently glued to the 18 yard line.  The numpty still had his men trying to pass the ball down non-existant channels 'behind' the Brazilians ffs!

4.  BUT.........Tactical options do NOT include putting on a 6'7" striker whilst taking off the only winger on the pitch do they?  What a bloody charlatan Ericcson is eh?  No forget that....he's just a twot!  It's him that exposed Crouch to public ridicule by playing him with no natural supply lines.

353387[/snapback]

I could not have put it better TND.

Strange but I cannot figure the two pics of the cisse incident.  It's a long time since I did Physics but the only way those angles would concur is if the latter was a mirror image.  It's weird. blink.gif

353981[/snapback]

I agree. I can only assume they are different incidents from the game. Come to think of it, the bottom picture rather looks like Lucas, but I may be wrong.

I agree. I can only assume they are different incidents from the game. Come to think of it, the bottom picture rather looks like Lucas, but I may be wrong.

354053[/snapback]

Different boots so think you're right BB; prob Lucas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.