BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Crouch

Different boots so think you're right BB; prob Lucas.

354061[/snapback]

It is Lucas and if I remember rightly what you see there was a perfectly timed crucial tackle but the picture suggests otherwise. A great example of how pictures can be used to make something look a lot worse than it was.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

Heskey or Crouch.

I'd go for the Birmingham man. Both are pretty similar in their goal threat (as in poor) but Heskey will win headers.

oooops a copuple of hours ago you had the complete opposite view.....

To a certain extent it doesn't matter whether you rate Crouch or not (and I don't). The fact is that when he plays England are sh*te and the reason is that we change our game to suit him (a la Everton with a certain Mr Ferguson). I don't know if it is pyschological or deliberate but whenever he plays we don't bother with that passing malarkey, we just lump it and look for knock-downs.

I totalyy agree with Roverthehill, I was saying it today - you can't fault crouch's individual performances over the last 4/5 england games hes prob been the most consistent player, but when he plays England never play good football, we always end up lumping it forward, when owen/roo play it brings joe cole and lamps into it a lot more.

I think crouch should be sacrificed for the greater good.

You can't argue with Crouch's scoring record since he entered the side, its been nothing short of excellent. However being honest about his footballing ability, he is no Micheal Owen and certainly no Wayne Rooney. Against the better sides we will need to stop hoofing the long balls and get these 2 on the ball and in scoring positions.

Would this be the same Peter Crouch who has scored six goals in his last five games in an England shirt?

Sounds like an OK player to me.

Just pretend he is under 2metres tall, stop all the stuff about "For a big fellow he's got good feet,"

I know a few people who are 2m tall who can manage to walk without tripping over every other step. Some of them can even manage to climb stairs without stumbling and having to be rushed to hospital with head wounds.

And he's got twinkly little toes too. Anyone else notice his tricks next to the corner flag over the past few games?

And as for blaming him for the England team playing the long ball game because he's on the pitch (if anyone did) ..........I don't think that's his fault.

Doesn't matter if it's his fault or not - it's true. The results have all gone our way but name a match where England have played well with Crouch in from the start. There isn't one. And against the decent teams we'll get taken apart unless we play our absolute best

Crouch is in the England side because of his height, similar to Kuqi being in the rovers squad because he gives us something different. The strange thing is, that having said that, he can't head the ball well.

Take away his height and he'd be nowhere the England squad.

It might well be the case that he is only in the England squad because of his height, but that does not make him a bad player. He has shown what a good player he is in his last 5 ;6 England games and has scored a fair few good goals, few of them headers. Just because he is tall, this doesn't mean that his all round game is lacking. far from it, in fact. I agree with Colin, all this crap about "he's got good control for a big man is rubbish. Who cares if he is big, he scores and plays consistently well. Oh, and I disagree with Den when you say he can't head the ball particularly well. I think he does just fine.

I also think that being included in ateam because you offer something different is no shame at all. Kuqi is in the Blackbu8rtn team because he was cheap, Sven could choose a number of players with power and height, but he chooses Crouch. I think having a side to your game that can make an impact is a very good attribute.

Crouch is a very good player. I just wish some could get over the prejudices and realise this.

I think Crouch is a very average player who only gets near the England squad because he plays for Liverpool. Sven would try to pass Shefki off as English and pick him if he played for Liverpool!

Crouch hasn't done badly by his own limited standards recently but the problem England have when playing him is that when he is playing any decent football goes out of the window in favour of launching an aimless high ball in his direction. For someone who is six feet seven he is also relatively poor in the air, despite his height he somehow manages to get underneath the ball most of the time!

But if Rooney and Owen are only half fit and Sven declined to bring along Defoe and Bent ahead of a 17 year old he's no intention whatsoever of playing, we're obviously stuck with him.

Rooney and Owen, if fit, would be contenders to play in any England side in the last 50 years.

All other English-born forwards currently available would not only fail to get into any of the last dozen England World Cup squads (including the years we did not qualify), they would not even be contenders for inclusion.

That is the problem in a nut shell. At least Crouch got the first decent header in his life onto the cross from Beckham to avert a T&T embarassment and for that we should be grateful.

Personally I reckon Crouch has done decently and offers something entirely different to the side which we need. Of course Rooney and Owen are first choice but Crouch has shown he can change games. His link up play I would actually say is better than Owen's. he lays off some nice balls while Owen just doesn't get involved until the ball is in the box. Shame about the big guy's finishing though...

Anyhow my tip is that Ashton will displace him next season. A much better all round player. Crouch's only advantage over him is four inches I think and Ashton has the strength, vision and finishing to make up for that.

Anyhow my tip is that Ashton will displace him next season. A much better all round player. Crouch's only advantage over him is four inches I think and Ashton has the strength, vision and finishing to make up for that.

Hopefully Ashton might get a chance under McClaren.

Under Sven he would have had to play for Liverpool/Chelski/Spuds/ManUre/Arsenal or as an outside bet Newcastle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.