BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sick

sambo

Very impressive Oscar. Yet if you take away all the bluster all you're really saying is that you don't see what's wrong with what happened on Saturday. If that's the case then you must be very unintelligent.

It's just my opinion though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can imagine that if one of our players was the subject of this kind of abuse, for instance "don't forget your helmet" to Matt Jansen, the anger would be much more vocal. Whilst banter between opposing fans, and sometimes between fans and players, is a part of the game I think most fans would consider that the chants aimed at Cisse were out of order. Whether or not it provoked a better performance from Djibril Cisse is debatable, but I know if I were in his position I would be all the more determined to play well. For decency and the team's sake it's just not worth it.

Spot on Napoleon.

I watched the TV replay of the game. I couldn't hear the chanting. However, I do remember wondering "what's got into Cisse?" when during the second half he transformed himself from a dispirited doing not much runner into a highly focussed dangerous determined opponent.

Nothing has convinced me that our vocal minority didn't unwittingly connive with Halsey to deny the Rovers of a point or points which were there for us at Anfield.

Spot on Napoleon.

I watched the TV replay of the game. I couldn't hear the chanting. However, I do remember wondering "what's got into Cisse?" when during the second half he transformed himself from a dispirited doing not much runner into a highly focussed dangerous determined opponent.

Nothing has convinced me that our vocal minority didn't unwittingly connive with Halsey to deny the Rovers of a point or points which were there for us at Anfield.

353976[/snapback]

Prhaps but it's not 50:50, the ratio is about 10:90 in Halseys favour.

"Jansen, where`s your helmet?"

chants about Keegan getting batted in that lovers lane

Turkish players getting booed (tugay)

Argies getting booed

Songs about Flitcrofts extra-marital activities

Munich 58

Hillsborough

Heysel

Bradford fire

Jack Walker dying

Pineapple heads

....i could go on.

It`s football, it`s life. These type of un-PC chants have been around for years. It`s what they call banter. It`s designed to put players out of their stride/off their game/or just plain ripping the p1ss. Granted, the Cisse chant was in bad taste, but it`s no worse than a lot of things i`ve heard over the years. Blackburn fans don`t have a bad reputation......infact they don`t even register in most football fans minds, because we are seen as a small club, with a poor support.

get over the chant & move on...... thumbs-up.gif

"Jansen, where`s your helmet?"

chants about Keegan getting batted in that lovers lane

Turkish players getting booed (tugay)

Argies getting booed

Songs about Flitcrofts extra-marital activities

Munich 58

Hillsborough

Heysel

Bradford fire

Jack Walker dying

Pineapple heads

....i could go on.

It`s football, it`s life. These type of un-PC chants have been around for years. It`s what they call banter. It`s designed to put players out of their stride/off their game/or just plain ripping the p1ss. Granted, the Cisse chant was in bad taste, but it`s no worse than a lot of things i`ve heard over the years. Blackburn fans don`t have a bad reputation......infact they don`t even register in most football fans minds, because we are seen as a small club, with a poor support.

get over the chant & move on...... thumbs-up.gif

353996[/snapback]

Cue brfcs PC brigade biggrin.gif

Who cares? These type of chants are part and parcel of football, deal with it or wear earplugs.

353904[/snapback]

You ask who cares? That tells me everything that I have felt about some of the present generation is unfortunately and sadly true. No sense of morality or understanding of right and wrong, or caring for the feelings of other peopleat all. And the saddest part of all is that, as with the author of the above they obviously do not feel they have done anything wrong or even realise the effect their actions have on others. My advice to those who think this way is take a long hard look at yourself and get your head in order before it is too late.

I echo Fife Rover's comments that clearly the chants on Saturday made a lot of other Rovers supporters unhappy and gave two newspapers yet another chance to have a go at the Rovers and the fans.

Not forgetting, a highly paid talented footballer found it sufficiently motivating to give the Rovers the run around and score the winner when he heard the chants. I know his wages and manager should have been driving his performance but they weren't and the rest of us were glad of his increasing sulk until he got provoked.

You ask who cares? That tells me everything that I have felt about some of the present generation is unfortunately and sadly true. No sense of morality or understanding of right and wrong, or caring for the feelings of other peopleat all. And the saddest part of all is that, as with the author of the above they obviously do not feel they have done anything wrong or even realise the effect their actions have on others. My advice to those who think this way is take a long hard look at yourself and get your head in order before it is too late.

354013[/snapback]

The present generation? These types of chants have been around for years. Unless you're jim and count people of the last 50 years as "present generation" laugh.gif

What a sorry state this messageboard is in.  This thread just serves to highlight the complete lack of intelligence and morality that seems to have infected the board over the last year or so.

Apparently, because I object to our fans singing songs about breaking players' legs I'm soft.  Apparently, because other fans sing other moronic songs there's no problem if our fans do.  And apparently, because you couldn't hear it on the commentary in America there's not a problem.

I regularly go to away games and I don't want to get associated with numpties who think it's cool to sing songs about broken legs, and then make monkey noises if the player in question has the cheek to score.  Unfortunately though it seems I don't have a choice, as most of our fans can't even see the problem.  Well, I guess I do have a choice - the choice is that I don't have to go, but why should I be put off by a bunch of d!ckheads who haven't got an ounce of common sense.

Sadly, we all get tarred with the same brush.  Anyone who was at the game doesn't just think a few Rovers fans are sick @#/?s - they think we all are.  And no doubt there'll be a different chant at the next away game, and the next one, because nobody seems that arsed.  Eventually the whole country will start to think that Rovers fans are scum. 

Saturday wasn't an isolated incident.  It's the same bunch of arsewipes who turn up at every away game who cause these sort of problems.  They probably revel in the attention the chants are getting and would like nothing better than for Rovers fans to gain a reputation.  In the meantime, a lot of the decent fans will just stop going.

But of course I'm over-reacting.  There isn't a problem.

353972[/snapback]

My feelings exactly with regard to the football side of things, but I worry much more about the state of peoples minds that can either create these kind of situations in the first place, or that can passively accept it as something that "just happens". All decent people should be screaming at these morons to shut up and behave like human beings. Unfortunately they (the chanters) would not understand what was required of them anyway.

I regularly go to away games and I don't want to get associated with numpties who think it's cool to sing songs about broken legs

353972[/snapback]

Why not stay in the bar with us and drink warm cans of Carlsberg at £2.60 a shot sad.gif

The only reason we went back to our seats:

The safety officer told us to drink up as we were causing a fire hazard?

laugh.giflaugh.gif

The present generation? These types of chants have been around for years. Unless you're jim and count people of the last 50 years as "present generation"  laugh.gif

354018[/snapback]

Exactly, except that they have been around for at most 40 years. Late 60's early 70's was when it all started to get unpleasant. It was about 1971 that I got ejected from the ground by Police for physically attacking a group of young hooligans that were causing great consternation amongst most of the supporters on the Riverside by their incessant and loud obscene language, which as most people who were around in those days will know was just not acceptable in public in those days.

The simple thing is though, if you don't like it DO something about it.

I wasn't there on Saturday so can't really comment but if affected that many people surely there were enough in numbers to get something done.

Personally I feel this was out of order - there is banter but there is also a line and I feel this was crossed by a section of fans but now it has gone - so as others have said get over it unless you are prepared to do something about it.

FYI - a Rovers fan phoned in to Century FM last night to apologise on behalf of the Rovers fans for the chants.

As per many things in life - some people will understand others won't and similar issue will always be around regardless.

The simple thing is though, if you don't like it DO something about it.

I wasn't there on Saturday so can't really comment but if affected that many people surely there were enough in numbers to get something done.

Personally I feel this was out of order - there is banter but there is also a line and I feel this was crossed by a section of fans but now it has gone  - so as others have said get over it unless you are prepared to do something about it.

FYI  - a Rovers fan phoned in to Century FM last night to apologise on behalf of the Rovers fans for the chants.

As per many things in life - some people will understand  others won't and similar issue will always be around regardless.

354029[/snapback]

Yes OK as far as it goes, but people have to think about these things and not just passively accept them with an "Oh well, thats life ; I cant change it" attitude. That is exactly what happened in Germany in the 1930's and how Hitler came to power.

When you see or hear something that is totally unacceptable you have to ACT on it there and then as I did in 1971 ( see earlier post) you have to make these yobs see that their behaviour is unacceptable. Even if it costs you in the process, don't hesitate DO IT!

Yes OK as far as it goes, but people have to think about these things and not just passively accept them with an "Oh well,  thats life ; I cant change it" attitude. That is exactly what happened in Germany in the 1930's and how Hitler came to power.

When you see or hear something that is totally unacceptable you have to ACT on it there and then as I did in 1971 ( see earlier post) you have to make these yobs see that their behaviour is unacceptable. Even if it costs you in the process, don't hesitate DO IT!

354034[/snapback]

QUOTE(CAPT KAYOS @ Oct 18 2005, 09:45 )

I wasn't there on Saturday so can't really comment but if affected that many people surely there were enough in numbers to get something done

Hence this bit FR

Really can't see what all the fuss is about. In light of recent discussions about falling attendances and losing atmosphere at matches we've now got the PC brigade implying that only certain chants are acceptable. It's a bloody football match, not a tea party. The suggestions that these chants were counterproductive because they encouraged the player to play harder are farcical - if he wasnt playing his best to start with then he deserves to have the mickey taken out of him all the more.

Players are mollicoddled enough as it is. And Rovers fans are frequently slammed on this board for lack of support. When a highly vocal away crowd do their damnedest to get behind their team (including the traditional bating of the opposition's players) and try to make up for the loss of Zurab to a homer ref's myopic decision, they get slagged off by their own fans.

Shall we all sit there in silence in case we risk offending anyone?

I'm more offended by so-called fans who never get behind their team. No-one else is criticising Rovers fans for this chant so why make such a big deal about it.

p.s. I'm crying because someone booed that nice Richard Chaplow the other week for being an ex-Burnley player. Better not do that in case you upset him and then people might not like Rovers any more. Grow up!

It was a bit of a sick chant but I don't think we should really go quite so far as comparing it to appeasing Hitler! tongue.gif

It does make some of our support look really like they are awful people and unfeeling but we should remember that it is only a few people and not the whole of the Rovers fanbase by any means. I'd expect that some of those singing it didn't realise that Cisse actually came close to having his leg amputated, at least I hope they didn't.

We shouldn't let anti-Rovers rags like The Mirror cast all Rovers fans in the same negative light. They tried doing it with the Yorke incident and it's just not on. mad.gif

So...the chants weren't that big a deal...as long as our support learns from this and stops trying to act like animals (if there were really were monkey noises which I hope isn't true). There are better (and certainly cleverer) ways to goad the opposition then laughing at a career-threatening injury. thumbs-up.gif

Oh by the way - disagreeing with chants about an accident that almost left a man without a leg is not being 'PC', it's about behaving with a bit of decency.

What is most annoying about this incident is that it gives toilet paper publications like The Mirror another chance to bash our club and our support. Talk about hanging ourselves with our own rope...

Edited by FourLaneBlue

My two pennoth:

Having been at the game I was a little shocked at first hearing the chant and whilst I thought it was as a bit sick it was something which was probably sung in a light hearted sort of way. A wind up yes, but probably nothing more than that.

After all, most Rovers fans clapped him when he was stretchered off at Ewood.

Unfortunately whether or not it was sung in a light hearted way, it provoked exactly the opposite reaction, to our cost!

What concerns me more is the fact that the gloves are off when it comes to abusing the opposition. It doesn't seem to matter whether you offend them (or your own fans). Foul and abusive language and chanting seems to be the norm when included within the confines of a travelling Rovers support.

Question is, are we happy that anything we sing or say is acceptable when considered in the context of a football match atmosphere? Does anyone care?

rover.gif i cannot believe fans on here are saying it did not urge cisse on,i read a article in a paper yesterday were he said as much,it's not pc it's just the stupitity of footie fans,who in there right mind would pay £30+ to watch football tinykit.gif

Surely as fans we are not trying to spur the opposition.

The Cisse chants were bound to be counter-productive

whilst the Crouch activity was just funny.

And why are we chanting about Burnley at Anfield?

Brought back Lyons away in EUFA Cup and look where

they are now.

I was close to the cerfuffle when Cisse scored and I just

hope the Rovers Dad plus two very upset kids forgive

the fans in Rows 9 to 12.If the Stewards hadn't been so thick

you would have been sorted out.

And now we definitely know we were right and might have won

with all 11 on pitch.Too bleeding late.

This thread is taking the same sort of course as the one with Wez and the Invisible man after the Villa game.

If you find that sort of chant unpleasant or if you find idiotic behaviour from people who can't handle their drink a pain in the arse or if you don't actually want to sit behind someone stood up for the whole 90 minutes you're imaginatively labelled a "boring old fart" by the more intellectually challenged.

By all means take the **** out of Cisse or indeed any other opposition player because he's crap, hasn't scored since 1829, his stupid appearance, he's "done a Flitcroft" or is Lord Ponsonby Smythe of Lower Tittingmarsh etc.

But not because he suffered an injury which could have resulted in his leg being amputated. I'm amazed a lot of people obviously can't appreciate the distinction.

Funny thing is that a lot of people seem to think that this is ok but if there's the merest suggestion that anything was racially motivated the same people are absolutely horrified. "That type of offensive chant is ok but that type is definitely not"

A sign of the weird politically correct driven times we live in.

This thread is taking the same sort of course as the one with Wez and the Invisible man after the Villa game.

If you find that sort of chant unpleasant or if you find idiotic behaviour from people who can't handle their drink a pain in the arse or if you don't actually want to sit behind someone stood up for the whole 90 minutes you're imaginatively labelled  a "boring old fart" by the more intellectually challenged.

By all means take the **** out of Cisse or indeed any other opposition player because he's crap, hasn't scored since 1829, his stupid appearance, he's "done a Flitcroft"  or is Lord Ponsonby Smythe of Lower Tittingmarsh etc.

But not because he suffered an injury which could have resulted in his leg being amputated. I'm amazed a lot of people obviously can't appreciate the distinction.

Funny thing is that a lot of people seem to think that this is ok but if there's the merest suggestion that anything was racially motivated the same people are absolutely horrified. "That type of offensive chant is ok but that type is definitely not"

A sign of the weird politically correct driven times we live in.

354072[/snapback]

Summed up perfectly for me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.