BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premiership Tv Deal

Iv just seen on the news that the premier league are looking at splitting the live tv matches up into 5 groups of 28 games, with 1 TV company only being allowed 4 of the 5 packages - therefore allowing rights to other channels.

Does anyone know what 28 games would be in eah category and how they are proposing a split of the TV money in future? Would the best 28 matches be split across the 5 groups?

unsure.gif

Edited by Hughesy

From what i understood the rule means sky can only show 1 in 5 games now and that either NTL, ITV or 5 will get the others. However if they gang up on sky an dbid for the games they could get signifcant amounts of games to spread between them.

Either way Sky won't have 100% of games which could be bad for clubs in that they might not get the same amounts of money that sky pay for exclusive deals and also for fans if NTL get it you cant watch it all through a sky or ntl system and have to have both to see all the live games!

As far as I've read, it will be reduced money than previous TV deals, which won't please the "bigger" clubs.

Although I'm hoping ITV will have improved their coverage, if they win it, especially after the last time they had it.

I think this is a bad thing.

The overall money for clubs is probably going to drop.

Chances are there will be even more matches with silly kick-off times.

Viewers will have to pay more (unless it's ITV or BBC) to watch the same number of matches.

from what i've read, sky's matches will be reduced from 160 to 138 and the other 22 games will be available to the highest bidder.

typical EU nonsense, but what do we expect from idiots who say we should sell straight bananas  huh.gif ?

Makes me wonder why the EU are picking on the EPL, as they apparently haven't mentioned the fact that the French top division football coverage has gone to one bidder (Canal+)

Makes me wonder why the EU are picking on the EPL, as they apparently haven't mentioned the fact that the French top division football coverage has gone to one bidder (Canal+)

354352[/snapback]

they have mentioned it.

They approved the contract! ohmy.gif

Then I can't see why the EU are bítching about with the Premiership / Sky contract  huh.gif

354369[/snapback]

I hope for 2 things.

1.) No of them make it to terestrial tv as that would only see more Rovers fans not going to games. Its bad enough when they can just walk 5 min down the road to the pub let alone, in their own front room!

2.) The amount of games on tv are reduced. Its no secrect that we get our best crowds for 3pm sat kick offs, anthing different from this only reduces crowds!

I would suspect that the Premier League committee will be heavily involved and it will be THEM that actually decide what the best deal is.

despite this I see Terrestrial TV benefiting big style.

If the PL committee cannot sort it then it will only lead to one thing

the break up of the Premiership and the forming of a Euro Super League ph34r.gif

Guest Kamy100

Just heard a report that the EU have made a ruling on the Premier League TV Deal. They have told the Premier League that they must give the rights to 2 broadcasters AND agree a deal by Monday.

• 6 months later...

The end result is a rise in TV money for the PL of 65% and Setanta winning two packages.

Whether all this is sustainable beyond this three year deal is anyone's guess but for the time being the PL puts more distance between itself and all other leagues.

I hope this doesn't reduce the pressure for a more even division of money between the 20 clubs. The EU pressure resulted in a doubling in the %age of money going into the grass roots of football but I don't think that much is being done re the Prem/gripe water Championship divide.

The Guardian's take is that the deal will end up being worth a massive £2.5bn.

1) I really hope that clubs do pass on the benefit in terms of reducing ticket prices although I seriously wonder now whether price is the problem compared with lifestyle issues.

2) With the advance of technology, I have no idea whether this is policeable. To paraphrase, I don't think it is capable of being managed. I have found a way of watching any live soccer on my PC and if clubs/FA/Prem cannot manage the problem of pubs showing live football, how are they going to handle this?

3) But above all, I hope the clubs find a way of limiting the spiraling players wages. THE AVERAGE WAGE OF PLAYERS IN PREMIERSHIP SQUADS IS £13,000 A WEEK. (or £676,000 a year)

Edited by philipl

Well done any of you guys know he are the biggest shareholders in Setanta Sport....BSkyB!!! I thought they said that it would be open bidding for the rights and instead BSkyB has used its extra clout to buy them with the Setanta Sport name.

But if it means more money in our coffers i am happy.

Edited by ihatethedingles

But if it means more money in our coffers i am happy.

405367[/snapback]

Nope it just means less money in the fans coffers and more to the players and their agents. The vulgar display of extreme wealth and even more extreme bad taste on the players car park will get increasingly er extreme.( blink.gif )

Everybody should take a look on the BBurn End car park down at the Riverside corner......... it's like a 'drug dealers meet black rappers' convention down there.

Can someone please help? Is the Rovers match with City on SKY Tv live, or is it just on Football First? Thanks.

405382[/snapback]

Sky are only showing the Arsenal v Wigan game, and Man U v Charlton game live. The rest will be on football first

Nope it just means less money in the fans coffers and more to the players and their agents.  The vulgar display of extreme wealth and even more extreme bad taste on the players car park will get increasingly er extreme.( blink.gif

Everybody should take a look on the BBurn End car park down at the Riverside corner......... it's like a 'drug dealers meet black rappers' convention down there.

405381[/snapback]

Are you a Puritan or something?

Can someone please help? Is the Rovers match with City on SKY Tv live, or is it just on Football First? Thanks.

405382[/snapback]

its on copverage for euro tv if you can find a pub

other than that a 325 return fare from the jocklands and a ticket will onyl set you back a day trip of around £80 - value for money me thinks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.