BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tough Fixtures Ahead

I would take four wins and two losses out of those. I think it is unlikely that we will win all four at home, we will slip up here or there.

30 points going into the new year (and one game over halfway) would be excellent.

60 points as a target for the season, equalling our 2002-2003 season, is something to persue. 50 Points would be acceptable. Anything less would be disappointing in light of the quality in the side compared to last year or the year before.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would go out on a limb and say that November has been a good month for us, not cause we only got 4 out of 12 points, but we went toe to toe with the big boys and if we keep Bellers fit, other teams like us will be a bit worried.

We attacked Chelsea and Arsenal away from home and not just by speed but by good passing and good football.

Im a happy Rover. Lets just not throw it away against lesser teams over our next few games. December could make or break this season.

Man City apart, we've played excellent football in all our recent games from what I've seen and read so now there is no reason why we shouldn't give it a really good go in all the games coming up from now to the end of 2005 (add Wigan away and Pompey home on Jan 2 becomes a bonus- the way Wigan have started their run of fixtures against top half teams suggests they will not be looking anything special by the time we go there 31 December).

This period is the one that will define our season as Rog has pointed out. The overhang of away games played gets evened out by a run of more home than away games so this is also a big challenge to the Rovers supporters who do turn up to forget the empty spaces and generate a great atmosphere at Ewood.

In my view, West Ham is going to be the litmus test to see how far we have improved since that totally unexpected embarassment in the second half at Upton Park. Everton is a tricky one- local derby against a good team on paper that is badly misfiring is a one-off game which could go wrong without being a pointer for either side.

Feeling optimistic so I am not going to suggest how many points we will get from this run. However, if we have designs on European qualification through our league position, par for the course to 31 December has to be set at 12 points- 3 wins and 3 draws- defeats against Boro, West Ham and Wigan have to be avoided.

Opening the Transfer Deadline period on 30 points would hopefully give the Trustees sufficient confidence of a decent pay out from Sky with relegation a sufficiently remote possibility this season to be willing to back Sparky with a bit of investment in the transfer market if he finds some amenable targets.

Edited by philipl

Philip

But, re transfers and purse strings, what other incentive do the trustees have re BRFC?

tinykit.gif   cool.gif

363389[/snapback]

I have no idea and doubt BRISA will get an answer either as these sorts of documents are quite rightly kept very private.

There is the capital sum and annuity we all know about plus the ability to distribute surplus funds made by Walker Trust businesses to beneficiaries which include Rovers- the proportions seems to be a tightly kept secret.

We have seen that the Trustees are allowed to make loans and convert those into

capital contributions as they have done that. Whether the Trustees are allowed to increase the share capital (Rovers have very nearly issued all the shares they are authorised to) or make part or total disposal of the club is completely hidden.

If there is a clause in there requiring "Rovers to wash its face" as Jack had said on occasions, we are in trouble. On the other hand Jack might have inserted words telling the trustees to cough up if the Manager asks but that seems unlikely remembering Souness weeing with the willy he's got but I suspect such leeway would also be conditioned by the level of confidence the Rovers' Board had in its Manager's judgement. Of course, there maybe limits in Jack's Trust document- ratios and absolute numbers beyond which the Trustees cannot go in funding the Rovers in which case we could be stuffed already.

The most likely scenario is that there is some broaqd directional wish to support the Rovers which is subject to interpretation by the Trustees. As such they are bound to listen to the opinions of the family in deciding how to interpret the document Jack left.

If I were the family, I would have been much better pre-disposed to saying positive things about the Rovers if average attendances at Ewood hadn't fallen by 7,000 in a little under four years. But the ultimate decisions are made by the Trustees and the family can only offer their views and wishes.

John Williams is probably mounting a massive charm offensive right now with the Trust, his fellow-board members and the family arguing that we've got a gem in Mark Hughes. Trustees should back Sparky with cash as Rovers have a fantastic opportunity to move up to a higher level right now both financially and in football success at a cost which is far less than would likely be needed in the future.

To that extent, it is enormously beneficial to have a Chairman and a Managing Director who are so highly regarded and have the credibility to argue the case for the Trust advancing money to the Rovers. On the other hand, the Trust has not liquidated any assets to the best of my knowledge so whilst not hard up, it might not have the odd few million lying around looking for a home.

But that is all pure guesswork. Jack would have been balancing his instructions between the interests of his two great loves- the future of his family (for generations to come) and the Rovers.

What would you write into your Will if you had been Jack?

Edited by philipl

But, re transfers and purse strings, what other incentive do the trustees have re BRFC?

tinykit.gif   cool.gif

363389[/snapback]

The only incentive that I can see is that the Rovers become less of a drain on the Trust.

I agree entirely with philipl, the Trust is private and anyone outside of the Trustees is privvy to nothing.

Edited by dave birch

Pl and DB

I agree with both your constructive posts, however, the point I am alluding to is this, have the trustees any sporting interest in BRFC or is their interest merely financial (or are the two inecstricably connected)?

tinykit.gifcool.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

Their interest in Rovers is whatever Jack told them it should be. They are acting in trust to execute the wishes of Jack Walker.

I think its therefore fair to say they are exercising both a financial and a sporting interest- the track record since 2000 would support that not least the way they released the best part of £20m to keep Rovers in the Prem the season we came up.

That is the reason why I am allowing myself a hint of optimism about the transfer window but whether funds are available I am certain will be crucially dependent on the next six/seven league games.

Lose the lot and they might dig deep to buy someone to keep us out of relegation trouble. Win enough of them and they might dig deep to secure a decent shot at Champs League qualification. A middling performance and I think they will be very careful.

Does that bring us back on topic? rover.gifwink.gif

Edited by philipl

Everton (h)

West Ham (h)

Fulham (a)

Middlesboro (a)

Sunderland (h)

Pompey (h)

With our players in good form, there's no reason we can't win any of them, although as people have stated the away games look the toughest. With our best players fully fit I'd fancy us to win all the home games. But lets say there's a few key injuries, say to Bellamy and Tugs for these games (give or taken Sunderland) and the chances of winning these looks a lot trickier.

I reckon we'll gain 10/11 points loosing to Boro, drawing with West Ham and Fulham possibly slipping up in one and beating the rest.

Has gray's inclusion over the last two months only been a result of Matteo' absence?

Personally, despite him having a torrid time yesterday, I think Gray's re-emergence as a first team starter has been key to us sorting out our attcking game.

Defensively solid as he is I would think Matteo coming in at left back would be a backward step.

I'd hope that Gray keeps his place over Matteo. Although Matteo is quite defensively sound, he offers very little in us going forward. I think Grey works well with Pedersen also, and they do provide good little link ups.

In the last 4 games, we had to play the only two teams with perfect home records, as well as the only team with a perfect away record (before we played them).

We attacked in all 3 games, scored 6 goals, and are the only team to have scored twice against Chelsea this season.

I would say we did very very well. smile.gif

Good point, but I don't think many on this board would have been happy with the prospect of conceding 8 goals in those four games had that eventuality been floated beforehand. Not many teams will concede 7 or more on their visits to Stamford Bridge and Highbury this season.

Losing attractively is a lot better than being tubbed and even in my view better than winning boringly, if only for the hope it offers of good times around the corner; but we consistently fail to score in too many games and leak too many at the back.

Still, Rome wasn't built in a day, and we've come a long way under Mr Hughes.

for my 2 pence worth

Blackburn 2-1 Everton nail biter 2 up half time early goal in second half silences Ewood for annother 45 minutes

Blackburn 2-2 West Ham last ten minute come back for deserved draw

Fulham 1-0 Blackburn Another disapointing trip to the big smoke -better team could not score (again)

Middlesboro 1-1 Blackburn well deserved point after very harsh red card in 37th minute

Blackburn 3-1 Sunderland resergent Blackburn show their intentions for Europe next season

Blackburn 2-0 Pompey And the beat goes on.....

11 points of a possible 18

wink.gif

...which makes our defending 29.6% worse than average

363688[/snapback]

biggrin.gif:D:D

Seriously, I think we were extremely unlucky to concede what we did at Arsenal and Chelsea. Look at Joe Cole's goal for example. And van Persie won't do that again all season.

We always seem to have a goal up our sleeve. That makes us so much more heartneing to watch than last season when we relied on either Dickov or MGP to come up with a moment of magic.

In theory we should win all of these, but football does not work that way.

Everton (h) Last season a crap Rovers did the double over a Champs League Toffees, and before that they beat us. I reckon this season is their turn. Loss.

West Ham (h) Easy win in revenge for them tubbing us on opening day. Win.

Fulham (a) We normally do well at Fulham. They are the streakiest team around though. Win.

Middlesbrough (a) Why do we always play them around Christmas, even dating back to our old Division 2 days? I view this fixture as I did back then when we used to get turned over at Ayresome Park. Loss.

Sunderland (h) If we don't win this one it's time to give up. Under Souness we would lose, but not now. Win.

Wigan (a) The kind fixture list has again given Rovers fans a chance to go to a close Christmas away game. THe joy will show on the pitch. Win.

Pompey (h) We should beat this lot easily. Draw.

I'm not one for predictions but procrastination does wonders for the soul.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.