BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay - Who Next?

Tugay has been one of my favourite players to watch at Ewood - even including the championship winning team and when he went through his "invisible friend" spell! But he's getting on and we need a replacement creative midfielder. Unfortunately, I think we sold his natural successor - not Wee Barry but Dunny. Who would you like to see at Rovers in the role of creative midfielder (that we could afford and would come here). That new fella at West Ham looks decent - but they don't look like they're going down anytime yet!

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm...the role Tugay is playing for us now, which is the sole reason both a midfield four and Robbie Savage and proving effective, is a holding role, not an advanced creative role like everyone else mentioned in here.

He's sitting back, picking up the pieces and distributing the ball effectively. Savage knows that Tugay isn't going to be bombing forward so he's left to perform his headless chicken routine...a combination which is proving very effective. The problem with Reid and Savage was that niether was willing just to sit back and let the other do the chasing, Tugay (maybe because of age, maybe because of tactical awareness) is willing to do so.

So...the point of that rambling is...we don't need a forward running creative player to replace Tugay. I've even seen talk of Gallagher doing so, which is so far wide of the mark it's untrue. We need a disciplined yet skillful player to replace him, unfortunately those sort of players are rare in England so we'll probably be looking abroad. Scott Parker and Michael Carrick are the only English players I can think of who do a similar job, but they're way out of our league.

I've already pointed out that Tomas Graveson would be absolutely ideal......unless he's been spoilt with the amount of money that Real must be paying him. He is strong in the tackle, plays with authority, needs a Savage type player to buzz around him like Carsley used to do and is not really a gamble as he is well proven in the Prem. He was certainly playing a starring role at Everton until he left them. Talk is that Everton want him back as he is not figuring much for Real, but if my memory serves me correctly he had had a big fall out with Moyes before he left.

The obvious place to look is at Spurs where they are over loaded with midfielders. Carrick would be ideal, but may be too highly rated by the club to be allowed to leave. Apart from him both Sean Davis and Mendes are more than decent players and should both be allowed to leave if a good bid come in. I would imagine 2 million at the very most.

Those two are plausible targets who can pass and perform at premiership level. In fact, apart from Graveson (must be on mega money, surely?) and Dunn (too injury prone), I cannot think of anyone we could realistically get with a comparable level of raw talent. And they have experience at this level, which is invaluable.

However the gaffer has shown his stuff in getting in Axe, Nelsen and Zurab so maybe he can do it with more creative players who are relatively unkown on these shores.

ps. We must be in a position where we have to offload. We have TEN midfielders at the moment. Flitcroft and Douglas need to go at the very least with Thompson, presumably, the next in line if he does not show some good form.

undoubtedly at the seasons end there will be players that are sold or realeased.......and depending on how much money the boss has to play with and also dpending on how much progress the club is making, then i can't see why we can't put in a bid for dunny....cause hell knows he would love to come home and play for rovers again. apart from him, bentley is a central midfielder and lets not get on his case for his quiet performances as he aint a right midfielders asshole.

My ideal summer signing would be Steed Malbranque(sp) but we would have to have a good season to win the battle that will take place for him.

355792[/snapback]

beat me to it Shilito

Sidwell (Reading) would still be somebody worth taking a look at.

Who says we need to spend big - i'm sure there must be others in the Championship who could probably step up the level -question is are we bold enough to take the step?

In addition there is are always others knocking around just waiting for a chance - problem is finding them dry.gif

We aren't going to replace Tugay with a player similar to him - there aren't any. We're trying to think of a holding midfielder that doesn't go forward too much, can pick killer passes, but can't tackle. Rocking horse sh*t, my friends.

Sean Davis doesn't have the creativity, neither do Gravesen, or Mendes. Steed Malbranaque is the closest thing - and there would be a list as long as your arm of more attractive destinations for him.

We need to find a different way of playing once Tugay goes. A midfield of Savage and Gravesen doesn't offer much alternative to going out wide. I hate to say it, but Ferguson was the perfect guy for the job - Souness knew that when he signed him. If he was still here, we'd be looking at the next 5 or so years without too many centre midfield worries.

I'd like to think Hughes is monitoring Koumas' progress at Cardiff - if he can keep his temperament in check, he's a Premiership star waiting to shine.

I've already pointed out that Tomas Graveson would be absolutely ideal......unless he's been spoilt with the amount of money that Real must be paying him.  He is strong in the tackle, plays with authority, needs a Savage type player to buzz around him like Carsley used to do and is not really a gamble as he is well proven in the Prem.  He was certainly playing a starring role at Everton until he left them.  Talk is that Everton want him back as he is not figuring much for Real, but if my memory serves me correctly he had had a big fall out with Moyes before he left.

355759[/snapback]

Have seen it quoted on various websites that Gravesen is on 95k a week at Real, and is about to be released by them too. But with the money he's on, if he doesn't take a serious pay cut I doubt anyone but Chelsea and Man U will pick him up. He would be ideal for us though, but don't see it happening. And I seriously doubt he'll go back to Everton, especially with their current league position, even though they have a first option buy back clause.

Tugay's fairly creative but to me he has nothing on Pedersen, who creates a lot more, i think there are allot better players then Tugay out there, but on his day which was sometimes rare, he was brilliant at passing, retaining and switching play.

I think all previous suggestions of Gravesen, Koumas, Malbranque and Sidwell are all plausable and very sound.

Agree with T4E here, I would like to see Koumas at Rovers in the January window.. ( Hopefully with Flitcroft going the other way)

On the other three;

Gravesen - I believe will go back to Everton (Isn't there a first option buy-back clause to Everton, in his contract with Real Madrid?)

Malbranque - will go to Liverpool (IMO the most talented out of the four mentioned above, but will command too much of a fee for us!)

Sidwell - Not too sure... will be picked up probably by West Brom

Edited by AussieinUk

Koumas- if we were going to get him, Sparky would have signed him by now. Of all the Prem managers, he is the one who will have watched Koumas the longest.

Gravesen- £95K a week wages; there is only one place he is going and that's on a knock down transfer fee to Man U to replace Keane, Scholes, Beckham and Butt. Otherwise, he's happy on the bench at Real Madrid watching Beckham collect red cards- unlike Owen he's not sweating on World Cup selection.

Malbranque- would be great to see at Ewood (even though he is more than a bit inconsistent) but he might end up at the Mancs to help out Gravesen with Saha going back. Liverpool another possibility but also the sort of player Celtic or another foreign club might go for.

Sidwell will be proven or otherwise when he is playing in the Prem with Reading next season. Coppel won't blow it at the death a second time.

PS Chris, you are not being serious??? Tugay's outfield play is simply a different class to anything we've seen at Ewood since the '60s- only Bohinen when he could be bothered came anywhere close to his flair/genius.

TDI (below) is right about Benayoun but he's not going to be leaving Upton Park for anything less than £10m and Champs League football.

Edited by philipl

There's a guy playing here in portugal (not portuguese) called Benachour in V. Guimaraes.

he is on loan from PSG.

Might be a good substitute for Tugay.

You could see him when he plays Bolton for Uefa Cup.

Another player that is on loan in V.Guimaraes is Svard, on loan from Arsenal. He is doing a good season.

Edited by Oklahoma

Not too sure who would be ideal, however we could do with finding a gem like West Ham have with their new Midfielder.

I also like the look of Theo Walcott (I think thats his name) from Southampton - he's young and could be a great player, although i dont think he's a midfielder is he? Apparently Chelsea offered £2 million for him in summer. If we could get him for say £3 or £4 million then im sure he would be a great signing and we could sell him on for alot more!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.