BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tugay - Who Next?

Dunn is out for another six weeks.

Makes him even more of an unknown quantity but makes Brum's relegation even more certain.

There certainly isn't going to be a queue of clubs in for him with his injury record.

Amongst our own resources, Tugay can still do it if we can stop the opposition from doing a West Brom on us. To a certain extent, Saturday could be extremely useful- the Baggies were text book in showing how to beat the Rovers. Hughes and the players will be learning from the experience.

Second half of the Manc game at Ewood showed that a Pedersen, Savage, Reid, Emerton midfield can do the business and that we can survive without the creative genius that is Tugay.

Any good young central midfielders coming through the Academy?

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of our current squad only Bentley has enough vision and passing ability to fill the creative midfield spot in place of Tugay. Here's hoping for another Hughes transfer bargain like Ryan Nelsen if there's not enough cash to buy a proven replacement. Tugay is worthy of another year but he's become too inconsistent with age to rely on him to produce regularly.

382161[/snapback]

I agree that Bentley could be a good creative midfielder as demonstrated with his superb 30+ yards pass over the top of the WBA midfield to drop exactly right for Kuqi. But guess what happened next? Yes, you've got it; his first touch let him down as the pundits like to put it, and a golden opportunity went amiss again.

By the way, for those of you that can remember him, the pass I referred to above was distinctly reminiscent of a typical Quigley pass to the front runners. If Bentley is capable of becoming half as good a midfield player as Quigley was we are on to a winner!

Does Bentley have the defensive discipline and strength to play in midfield? I'm not convinced. I think that he could be brilliant in a diamond formation in midfield, with Bentley at the top of it. However, for this to work we would need a top defensive midfielder and we haven't got one.

It changes season by season.

Tugay won't be replaced by a carbon copy, but the system will change to suit the team once his long term successor is in place.

We could have a thread about who's next after Lucas Neill, or Craig Bellamy, as neither will be replaced with exact like for like replacements.

What was next at Utd after Beckham? Ronaldo.

The system changed, as did results. Likewise with Arsenal when Wright left, then Anelka, like it did when Adams left, like it has now Vieira has left.

Getting it right isn't easy, but that's why you try and employ the correct manager for the job.

i think we do need to replace Tugay this summer i don't think he has much left in the tank. He has been a great player for us but all great players cum to an end unfortuntaly

I think Hughes will be on a look out now but i don't know many players that are capable to replace Tugay at this minute of time which is quite a worry

petrov signed a new deal at celtic last month i think?

he was my first choice too, hleb from arsenal seems to be unhappy at the moment, could maybe get him on board for a decent price.

very unlikely though blink.gif

382187[/snapback]

backed up with evidence. germany looks more likely it though blink.gif

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=36...ts+frustrations

I feel that Hughes still has not found a player to fill Tugays boots hence offering another extension to the turk.  But do not FEAR WHEN HUGHES IS ERE

382636[/snapback]

Just thinking further but will Hughes want to replace a 'Tugay'? Tugay is an enigma. He is a creative playmaking midfielder of real quality but one that does not score many goals. imo Hughes in a perfect world may want a more attacking midfield playmaker and look to Sav and Reid to play deep.

Just thinking further but will Hughes want to replace a 'Tugay'?  Tugay is an enigma.  He is a creative playmaking midfielder of real quality but one that does not score many goals.  imo Hughes in a perfect world may want a more attacking midfield playmaker and look to Sav and Reid to play deep.

382735[/snapback]

Well then I think thats pretty much what Bentley is. The big proble with that is that you cant play 442 with an attacking playmaker, you have to shift to a 4411 or a 4312.

I just wish Dunn had been born maybe four years later. If he was coming through the ranks now he could slide into one of those formations with ease. And Hughes would provide so much better guidance and his fitness regeime could help curb those inuries.

Oh well, you might as well wish Ronaldinho grew up in Darwen I suppose.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Will he sign permanently for a Championship side?

Seven points and goal difference to be bridged when you have recently been stuffed 5-0 by the team you have got to get ahead of BEFORE you start trying to overhaul teams in the safety zone.

My feeling about 'Arry's January transfers is that he went native in the Championship. He's signed a side to get promoted from the lower division, not one to stay in the Prem.

WBA know how to scrap as we found out to our cost.

And I wouldn't take Pompey's post-January squad in preference to the squads of Boro, Fulham, Villa or Newcastle given the choice even if they were all starting on level points, which they are not.

So we (and the rest of the Prem) can see how D'Alessandro takes to life in a Prem relegation struggle before looking in the summer piggy bank.

Edited by philipl

Andres D'Allesandro is alright but he's more of a continental league player, well good ability and skill on the ball but at a height of 5ft 4 or something, can an argi hack the physical side of the prem, zola could but he was class.

i'll will be keeping an eye out on how he preforms unsure.gif

Andres D'Allesandro is alright but he's more of a continental league player, well good ability and skill on the ball but at a height of 5ft 4 or something, can an argi hack the physical side of the prem, zola could but he was class.

i'll will be keeping an eye out on how he preforms  unsure.gif

382788[/snapback]

Um, Zola was Italian.

As far as Argenitinans go Crespo is making a good fist of it but I can'tthinkof too many who have been a success in England.

Oh, Ardilles of course! And his mate.

I don't understand why everyone is so suprised about D'Allesandro going to Pompey. How many of you watch his team Wolfsburg on a regular basic? Very few if any I would imagine.

I'm pretty sure its because he was awsome in Football Manager...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.