BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Bruce

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

relegation fears wobbling through the midlands with bcfc losing two more players through injury

396537[/snapback]

First thought is good bolton are further behind but then i think of bruce and sullivan and they should be on the way down.

It's a big shame we have to beat pompey at the weekend because WBA aren't going to get ahead of brum, worst form team in the league.

I don`t give a damn about Brum, Baggies, Pompey.

As long as we make top 6.

Is it true if Arsenal win the championls league that 6th is not good enough?

396541[/snapback]

No. If Arsenal win the champions league then 4th spot is now a UEFA cup spot if they don't make the top 4. As long as they make the top 6, which they will, then 6th spot will certainly be a UEFA cup spot, it could only not be if they let's say finished 7th and won the champions league. Then 4th and 5th would be UEFA cup spots and 7th is now a champions league spot. I'm not sure how clear that it is now that you read it, but basically Arsenal winning the champions league will only matter to us if we finish fourth.

No. Manchester United winning the Champions League pushed UEFA cup qualification down to 6th. It's only when the FA Cup final is contested between two sides that have qualified for europe through the league that the top 7 all make europe.

I have to say the longer this goes on the more it starts to confuse me, but I'm pretty sure that is right.

So in theory England only get 3 UEFA cup places originally 1 league, 1 FA Cup & 1 Carling Cup? I thought it was more than that, but just looking at UEFA's qualification list, England do get 3 places, 2 of which are specified for the league but the Carling Cup winners are given one of these.

Edited by key76

Ok - we needed them to win but have to say my disgust for Brum is back again after just listening to David Gold on Sky.

Talking about their run in, he says what gives him hope is the run-in they have as they play none of the top teams.

England do get 3 places, 2 of which are specified for the league but the Carling Cup winners are given one of these.

396600[/snapback]

I thought that the carling cup runners up didn't get a place, but if wigan do then there should only be one league place? unless we get four huh.gif

As liverpool v chelski is an Fa Cup Semi and then the other semi will lead to that winner being in the Uefa Cup, will it not, Thinking back to Millwall.

Ps. David Gold is a Muppet!

But if Boro win the Uefa Cup and get to the F.A Cup Final then seventh place will get the Uefa Cup spot still won't it?

There is no way that 7th spot will see us qualify for the UEFA cup.

396614[/snapback]

Surely if we go on to the Intertoto? I was also under the impression that if Boro got the the FA Cup final and won the WAFA then the FA Cup final place would go to 7th. Unlikely, granted.

I'm not sure what happens in that scenario. I don't know for certain whether the UEFA cup winner is guaranteed their own seperate spot or if they take it from the league, if they take it from the league then Boro winning the UEFA cup would mean that they take 6th spot qualification away and then by making the Cup final they would effectively give it back, if you see what I mean. However, if there is a place put aside for the winner then yes, Boro winning the UEFA cup and making the final would see the top 7 qualify.

Yes, we would also be guaranteed of an intertoto place if we finished 7th but I was looking at the possibility for direct qualification for the UEFA cup, I very much doubt that we could mess up our remaining fixtures so much that we could not qualify for at least the intertoto, it would simply be a nice thing to avoid.

The wonderful world of Steve Bruce.....

Transfers:

Transfers fees paid: £38,650,000

Transfers fees received: £10,450,000

= - £28,200,000

Interesting Moves:

Out:

Andy Johnson, a mere £750,000 - scored 71 goals in 129 games and earned an England call up.

In:

Emile Heskey: £6,250,000

Martin 'Tiny' Taylor: £1,250,000

Luciano Figueroa: £3,000,000 - didnt play a single game

Robbie Blake: £1,250,000 - played 2 games, at a cost of £625,00 per game

Jesper Gronkjaer: £2,250,000 - played just 13 games, at a cost of £171,153 per game

Walter Pandiani: £3,000,000 - played just 20 games; at a cost £150,000 per game

''Success'':

2001/02: Promoted from 1st division via play offs.

2002/03 13th Prem

2003/04 10th Prem

2004/05 12th Prem

2005/06 18th Prem, going down.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.