BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Bruce

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best bit of the same article on the bbc and appears in form in pip's link is:

"We've spent all our money and done a pile on wages this season, so we'd be in a dire mess financially if we went down this season. We'd go bankrupt."

biggrin.gif lets send them down tongue.gif

Like him or loathe him Sullivan is usually not too far wide of the mark with his comments.

His criticism of Dwight Yorke was bang on the money. And whilst the link above doesn't work for me, if they're the same comments as in this morning's papers, it's about how Heskey, Forssell and Pandiani cost them 12 million, are costing 90k p.w. in wages, and have contributed 3 goals betyween them.

Probably exactly what the average bluenose is thinking. Although Bruce probably wishes Sullivan was less outspoken.

What a shame.  smile.gif

357758[/snapback]

Sullivan (rentagob) has had a pop at the three forwards and Nicky Butt. He should also have a look at 4.75M for Clinton Morrison (with Andrew Johnson going the other way) and the countless other millions Bruce has spent. My guess is that he won't, because ultimately he's sanctioned these moves and is therefore culpable, although not as culpable as Bernard Cribbins biggrin.gif

He's blamed Maik for the goal in the post match interview... I think it's poor to go about singling out players for blame in defeat.

358792[/snapback]

To be fair to Bruce, that's three games that Taylor has cost them now with stupid mistakes (Arsenal, Newcastle and whoever they played before that...Everton?). He's a quality 'keeper but he keeps making these huge mistakes, and after not criticising him for the first two games I'm not suprised Bruce has decided to say something now.

Having recently described the first three years of his tenure at St Andrew's as "plain sailing", he now looks like being blown off course. His experiences at Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan and Crystal Palace were not always positive, though Bruce never stayed long enough to show he is capable of confronting a challenge and coming out the other side.

Says it all to me really.

looking at those next set of fixtures doesnt guarantee them many points does it ?

both fulham and wham are playing steady football, especially away form

sunderland away is not a foregone conlcusion, especially ith the ultra cold weather breaking up in the neast

then its the big guns coming up

If brum get anywhere near 7 points out of their next 7 games they will do well to stay up huh.gif

big club?????? going down I am afraid laugh.gif

It sure looks like the biggest club in England have it in for BRFC - they ar enow comparing their like to us when they cant even beat winkers reserves !!!!

FootyMAD > Singing The Blues > Latest > Blues News

Blues Res 0 Bolton Res 0

Story by IPFreely 8 November 2005

Match abandoned at half time..............

On a dreadful night at Solihull, the cold rain was driving down out of the pitch black night sky, drifts of water visible against the floodlights. A couple of hundred hardy souls shivered against the wind in the bleak concrete stands, huddled together for warmth in pathetic little scattered blobs of humanity. It was like a Premiership match at Blackburn.

Blues lined up with a very youthful team, with Carl Motteram making a very welcome return from major knee surgery. Alex Bruce (Steve’s son) lined up as a left-sided central defender alongside Sam Oji. Up front Oliver Allen (Clive’s son) lined up alongside Njazi Kuqi (Shefti’s brother). Despite this line-up, Blues had declined to play a game of Happy Families with Bolton before kick-off, Instead they had played Player’s Name Scrabble and Blues were handsomely beaten by a Bolton team which included high points scorers such as Martin Djetou, Jaroslaw Fojut, Ricardo Vazte and Fabrice Fernandes.

No Brucie Watch tonight – never saw him. In fact, no Bertschin watch either, the team being marshalled from the touchline by the sylph-like figure of Nigel Spink, standing in the pouring rain wearing shorts! They’re dead hard, them ‘keepers. It’s a pity Bertschin wasn’t there because, as regular readers will know, I’ve become an aficionado of his perceptive insights from the Technical Area. I have no doubt that tonight we’d have been treated to “Ref! It’s raining!”.

Both teams made a decent fist of trying to play football on a pitch that was becoming more dangerous by the minute as the rain drove down, great puddles formed, the ball stuck and players slid into each other with great crunches audible from the stand. Blues’ Nick Wright was making some searingly fast runs down the right wing, although the final ball was often a bit slack. For Bolton, Johann Smith on the left flank showed loads of pace but too many step-overs and tricks for my jaded old palette. Bolton also had a big strong centre forward called Bedi Buval who battled gamely against Bruce and Oji and came off at half time completely covered in mud, looking like something from a 1970s Match of the Day!

Blues had the best of the 45 minutes played, with David Howland twice going close, once with a header from a corner and shortly afterwards with a rasping 25-yarder which shaved the post with the goalie beaten. Bolton almost scored when Buval had an unmarked header which he plonked straight into Doyle’s arms in the Blues goal. Blues also strung together the best move of the game, when Bruce carried the ball out to halfway in the Bolton half, slid a pass inside the defender for Motteram to drive a low cross which Kuqi sidefooted just past the post. Bloton’s best moments were all coming from the pace and flair of Smith who was doing very well, considering he was playing on a pitch which was somewhat akin to a mangrove swamp.

Motty had a reasonable game. He’s adopted a Jon McCarthy haircut (the footballer, not the hostage) and tried hard to get things going down the left wing. he didn’t look like a bloke who’d spent nearly a year out and returned to play in a monsoon. Bolton had clearly worked hard on their dead ball situations and I liked their corner routine, where every single player waits outside the box and then come storming in like the Light Brigade as the corner comes over. There are bodies flying everywhere – impossible to referee and most effective. I’d recommend a look at Bolton Reserves if only to witness this spectacle. Also, a special word is due to Bolton’s phsyio, a dead ringer for Sylvester Stallone. All entertaining stuff, exactly what you’d expect of Big Sam’s Lads.

Anyhow, late in the first half the ref could be heard joking with both bedraggled benches about his wanting to sit in the dugout whilst they got soaked instead. The Blues subs retreated to sit in the stand in order to keep out of the rain. Mat Sadler was covered in mud splashes, just from having warmed up. An abandonment was inevitable and was declared at half time. I went into the clubhouse for a wee, won a tenner on the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? machine, caught the end of Eastenders, ran back to the car and went home.

That’s All Folks!

If you can get that for Bruce's "tactics" it makes you wonder what some of the other manager's alleged tactics would be worth.

Doesn't look good for Rovers professionalism if it turns out to be true.

360997[/snapback]

If it was that confidencial why didnt Brum remove it.

Cant blame Rovers if Birmingham leave their rubbish behind.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.