BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bbe Top Tier Shut

Elland Rd has probably the best and worst concourses i've seen premiership football at -  The family stand is magnificent, the away corner is like a concrete car park stairwell.

356265[/snapback]

Good grief how did I not mention the `Concrete Burger Van` that is the away bit at Elland Road.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was interesting to note that the top tier of the JW stand was fairly full last night - with a decent atmosphere for a change to go with the superb view . This was entirely down to the pricing policy which let the kids in for a fiver and did not restrict them to the corners of the JW or some other part of the ground .

To me , this policy must be extended to all games , ie the same sensible price for all parts of the ground for kids . Let's face it that area of the JW is usually empty because the pice is ridiculously high , so let's fill it .

I'm sure also that kids will have their attention grabbed more if they get a decent view of the game - rather than stuck in the present family stand . For that reason alone the family stand should be in the top tier of either side of the JW UPPER .

This could be item No 2 on the agenda of BRISA . Item No 1 , of course , must be the call for immediate expulsion of the drummers who continue to heap untold embarrassment on us ...

Does the location of things like the strikers lounge (if its still called that) have any significance with the location of the fs?

I have long said that essentially kids should be free. Or perhaps a token payment, a quid maybe? I dunno. Just musing like.

I'm guessing here........and thinking back ten years or more

1. Couldn't put it in the JW as these are the prime seats, highest prices etc.

2. Couldn't go in the Riverside - no facilities, old stand

3. Couldn't go in the Darwen End - away support problem

4. Couldn't go in the BBE - for obviouis reasons  biggrin.gif

5. Wanted to give families nice, new stand to help sell tickets

Solution - upper tier BBE

356245[/snapback]

I think the location of 'Strikers' was a major factor. I don't even know if it is still there and used now, but it used to be very popular before matches.

Edited by Kiwiwannabe

I think the location of 'Strikers' was a major factor.  I don't even know if it is still there and used now, but it used to be very popular before matches.

356329[/snapback]

Didnt Thatcher want Strikers banned when she became honourary president wink.gif

I think the location of 'Strikers' was a major factor.  I don't even know if it is still there and used now, but it used to be very popular before matches.

356329[/snapback]

I'd always assummed Strikers was there because it was the FS rather than the other way round.

I would like to see the layout at Ewood changed, to make it look to the cameras that the ground is more full. Personally i dont give a s**t how full/empty Ewood is (although of course in an ideal world it would be full every week), but i think we would get a more postitive views if we make the ground look full. What i would to do is:-

1.) Make the Darwen end lower the area for away fans. Obviously it would look rather sparse when charlton or fulham come, but when the tv camera's pick it up, we can blame it on the away fans. As the majority of clubs bring about 3k, that will leave the darwen lower looking pretty full. The relocation of these fans to other parts of the ground will help pack out those parts also.

2.) Close the bbe upper which wont be seen by tv of course. That will again pack out the rest of the ground.

3.) Change the outer parts of the Jack walker upper (on either side) to family areas which should help fill the quite ridiculus gaping whole's in there on normal match day.

4.) This should all lead to even say a 20K crowd making the ground look full, as the bbe lower, riverside and j walker stands will be almost full to capasity. The bbe upper can be opened for demand as can the darwen upper to away fans when needed.

Any thoughts? tinykit.gif

Sorry but i'm in the Riverside, but you get the picture all that grey interior can be transformed into blue and white, plus anything else like the nationality flags of every player representing Rovers - surely that would look good to the overseas viewer.

Anything other than that dull uninspiring interior grey paint, Ewood should be a gallery of colour linked to the club and other nationalities.

356174[/snapback]

JAL you've made two excellent suggenations, the atmosphere would improve for sure and the flags idea is innovative and unique.

Ewood would sound and look better for your suggestions.

I hope you take these suggestions to BRISA, good work. biggrin.gif

I would like to see the layout at Ewood changed, to make it look to the cameras that the ground is more full. Personally i dont give a s**t how full/empty Ewood is (although of course in an ideal world it would be full every week), but i think we would get a more postitive views if we make the ground look full. What i would to do is:-

1.) Make the Darwen end lower the area for away fans. Obviously it would look rather sparse when charlton or fulham come, but when the tv camera's pick it up, we can blame it on the away fans. As the majority of clubs bring about 3k, that will leave the darwen lower looking pretty full. The relocation of these fans to other parts of the ground will help pack out those parts also.

2.) Close the bbe upper which wont be seen by tv of course. That will again pack out the rest of the ground.

3.) Change the outer parts of the Jack walker upper (on either side) to family areas which should help fill the quite ridiculus gaping whole's in there on normal match day.

4.) This should all lead to even say a 20K crowd making the ground look full, as the bbe lower, riverside and j walker stands will be almost full to capasity. The bbe upper can be opened for demand as can the darwen upper to away fans when needed.

Any thoughts? tinykit.gif

356511[/snapback]

Fully agree with that. You basically echo what i was getting at when starting the thread. By keeping the DE and BBE uppre stand shut, we are (sort of) reducing out capacity to 25000. if our crowds are hovering around 20000, the ground feels more full. in my opinion the atmos would be better. i know lots of people who don't go to rovers anymore (even some diehards from 80s) for many reasons, but one being lack of atmosphere.

Also, backing up a previous post about the drummer. We will never have any songs if the drummer orchestrates everything. Even when a song starts the drummer drowns it out and everyone gives up. Think the drummer should be used in (very) small doses and for starting a chant and then shutting up. It's time we got back to being proper football fans again!

It's time we got back to being proper football fans again!

356533[/snapback]

In my opinion the lack of atmosphere can be attributed to the changing demographic of the fans coming through the turnstile. You simply cant afford to come anymore if you earn minimum wage (i.e. a lot of the young lads in Blackburn) and the family atmosphere that now predominates around the ground means that tanked up "die hard singers" effect has been somewhat diluted.

Now it’s a case of the team motivating the crowd rather than the other way around.

Packing the affluent young families closer together won’t create more atmosphere if nothing is happening on the pitch. My opinion is low ticket prices against a reasonably high profile team were the motivators around the improved atmosphere not BBE upper been closed.

However once again I must state for the sensitive types this is only an opinion.

Not worth a comment smile.gif

356557[/snapback]

Good lord. blink.gif

EDIT: Quoted the wrong thing there. Was referring to Hughesey wanting to pen the "ethnics" into a stand, like some sort of farm.

Edited by bellamy11

Interested to learn last night that a seperate stand/area was something Asian fans have discussed with the club. This was the Asian community's request not the club's suggestion. Have to say I was shocked by that.....and can we please keep the integration debate in ICBINF

Im just trying to think of ways to entice the ethnics. Some might not feel safe with all other fans so maybe a dedicated area would help that fear and make them realise its not all bad. Then once they feel comfortable they can move to wherever they want.

There are far too many ethnics in and around Blackburn that we are not attracting! Surely some of them must be interested in football

And how would you police who gets in to the "Ethnic End"? Make them show their passports on the turnstile? Turn away people who can't prove their ethnicity?

Can of worms Hughesy, our stewards are already on occasion accused of Hitler-esque tendencies!

Edited by Tugay4England

Interested to learn last night that a seperate stand/area was something Asian fans have discussed with the club. This was the Asian community's request not the club's suggestion. Have to say I was shocked by that.....and can we please keep the integration debate in ICBINF

356675[/snapback]

Can I point out, for those that didn't attend last night, that this information came from the floor and not from anyone involved with orgainising the meeting.

I don't want it on record as "BRISA said ......". That said, I trust the source and have no doubts it's true (although I believe pertanent details such as WHEN this discussion happend and WHO WITH weren't gievn).

And how would you police who gets in to the "Ethnic End"? Make them show their passports on the turnstile? Turn away people who can't prove their ethnicity?

356705[/snapback]

Separate ethnic end? Glad too see the Asian community pushing those cultural integration messages.... as for the frightened comments.... the kids to seem to be ok - you see babies in the BBE now for god’s sake.

A lot of people fought long and hard to end the segregation of people based on the colour of their skin (note the death of one such lady this week) this is the most stupid suggestion I have ever heard and quite frankly I'm shocked and dismayed if the story of the Asian community leaders approaching the club asking for a segregated stand is true.

Separate ethnic end? Glad too see the Asian community pushing those cultural integration messages.... as for the frightened comments.... the kids to seem to be ok - you see babies in the BBE now for god’s sake.

A lot of people fought long and hard to end the segregation of people based on the colour of their skin (note the death of one such lady this week) this is the most stupid suggestion I have ever heard and quite frankly I'm shocked and dismayed if the story of the Asian community leaders approaching the club asking for a segregated stand is true.

356737[/snapback]

Well said oscar, this is the biggest loada nonsence ive seen for a long time. A segreated stand for Asian supporters, in a English and therefore majority white town/football club? Jim Crow laws anybody ohmy.gif

I dunno about anyone else, but i saw more asians at Ewood for the b'ham game then ive ever seen before. Whole families dressed up in the blue and white were at the match, which shows that the club is progressing on that front, but obviously we gota long way to go. Further development from this is needed, not a seperate stand!

Its a fact that some Asians will not attend games because they feel they will be the victim of whatever racial act.

Therefore the seperate stand/ area was only a suggestion. As i said for those who are worried, this is a good way to get the to games and also show their is nothing to fear. Sometimes you have to take 1 step back to go 2 steps forward! tongue.gif

Edited by Hughesy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.