SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roy Keane

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also:

"Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink robbed Ferdinand for the second goal... I have seen that happen to Rio before. It is poor defending2

Analysing the first goal United condeded against Middlesbrough, when Edwin Van der Sar let slip a 30-yard shot... "He should have saved that. That was saveable"

"The players have been asked questions and they are just not coming up with the answers.

"I am sick of having to say it and they are sick of listening to me."

"These guys thought getting new contracts was the best day of their careers."

"They think they have made it. They haven't."

On the penalty Richardson gave away.... "He is a lazy defender who deserved to get punished.. he wasn't doing his job"

Whether he is right or not, sounding off about it in the press is not the right way to do something about it. How does he expect his team mates to pull together now and work for each other when he has told them that they are not good enough?

He's hardly Claude Makele himself anymore is he?

The 29-year-old Holland striker is wary of any surprise tactics, telling MUTV: "Middlesbrough played in a system we did not expect and we were not able to deal with that until after the break when it was too late.

Looks to be the way to beat Man.U, considering we "surprised" them with the 4-4-2 system at OT. Looks like ol' RFW tactics are slow in reacting to any surprise changes. Would be extremely funny if they missed out on Champs League at end of the season. biggrin.gif

This all smells of Keane manipulating his early exit from MU and probable pay-out.  He will no doubt have been advised to do so by his agent who will already have another lucrative deal lined up for him at Celtic where any move would be closely linked to merchandising and shirt deals etc which would nett him an absloute fortune from the pockets of their worldwide fan base.

357877[/snapback]

.....and in the eyes of many mancs he'll leave as a martyr . Only to return in triumph a couple of years later as manager when Ferguson's reign finally fizzles out .

Mark my words cool.gif

laugh.gif

that's spot on.  the begining of the end was bringing in queiroz.... what has this man done since Portugal's U-21 cup run?  For heavens' sake, he even failed miserably here in the states with nyc's silly franchise.

358008[/snapback]

He was assisstant manager when Utd last won the title, when they went unbeaten from December to the end of the season (i think). Stuffing us, deservedly (once their keeper hadnt been sent off) 3-1 at mould trafford

Doesn't the gagging of Keane's interview make a mockery of MUTV's claim in the summer that they were journalistically independent?

The managing director of MUTV, Peter Brookes, said three months ago: "If we were just a PR arm of Manchester United, I'm not sure how attractive we would be. The important thing is that players aren't told what to say - they do their own thing."

The reality is the powers that be at Manchester United want MUTV to be as sycophantic and fawning towards the club as possible - not daring to ask any awkward questions.

Around 100,000 UK subscribers to MUTV pay £6 a month for "the latest exclusive interviews with players." Obviously that doesn't extend to interviews which don't toe the party line.....

These are the thoughts of Roy Keane which Alex Ferguson and the club didn't want us to hear:

On Rio Ferdinand: "Just because you are paid £120,000 a week and play well for 20 minutes against Spurs, it doesn't mean that you're a superstar. Hasselbaink robbed Ferdinand for the second goal. That's happened to Rio before. It is poor defending. It seems to be in this club you have to play badly to be rewarded."

On John O'Shea: "He's just strolling around when he should have been busting a gut to get back."

On Darren Fletcher: "I can't understand why people in Scotland rave about Darren Fletcher."

On Alan Smith: "What is he doing there? He is wandering around as if he is lost. He doesn't know what he is doing."

On Kieran Richardson: "He is a lazy defender who deserved to get punished. He wasn't doing his job."

On Edwin Van der Sar: "He should have saved that shot. It was saveable."

Keane went on to say: "There is talk about putting this right in January and bringing players in. We should be doing the opposite - we should be getting rid of people in January."

Keane criticised the young generation of United players who put money above trophies and fail to justify their inflated wages. "These guys thought that getting new contracts was the best day of their careers," he said.

As Radio 5's Alan Green, in his book 'Green Line' said: "Alex Ferguson is paranoid about any criticism. TV and radio interviewers have to bow to his demands and ask sycophantic questions or else they are ostracised."

In his new autobiography, Des Lynam recalled how Ferguson blew a fuse after a match against Middlesbrough in 1995, when John Motson dared to ask if he would be disciplining Roy Keane for an elbow on a 'Boro player.

When Motty asked if Keane would face disciplinary action for his third sending off in 14 games, Ferguson ranted: "You've no f*****g right to ask that question John. That's the f*****g interview finished. I'm going to cancel the interview, the whole f*****g lot of it. Cancel it, right? You f*****g well make sure that does not go out, John."

Motson tentatively said that he was told by his Match of the Day producer to ask the question, but Ferguson shouted: "You're not getting in again, right - you know the f*****g rules here."

Ferguson has refused to speak to the BBC for the last 18 months after a BBC3 documentary revealed that his agent son Jason broke FIFA rules on transfers. Jason's agency was paid hundreds of pounds to sell Jaap Stam and was also paid at the other end by Lazio.

That was a good article by Rob Smyth in the Guardian, Philip. I missed it. Thanks for the link.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

He was assistant manager when Utd last won the title, when they went unbeaten from December to the end of the season (i think). Stuffing us, deservedly (once their keeper hadnt been sent off) 3-1 at mould trafford

I know that flop, i wasn't considering it because he was brought in late (if I recall) and hadn't had time to gum up the Manure works. the man isn't a complete waster, it's just that he gets the keys to some sleeks wheels and usually flatters to deceive.

Give it ten years and people will talk of Chelsea like they do now of Man Utd ... time was when Man Utd were looked upon charitably as the talented team that just couldn't quite lose the albatross of 20+ years without a trophy.

Keane is finished as a player.

The three biggest villains of the piece in Man Utd's decline are Ferguson for signing such wretched players over the last three years (Veron for 30 mill stands out, Barthez cost almost 10 mill), and also for letting Beckham go because of an ego clash, the board for not having the nuts to sack him; and Rio Ferdinand for being the leading prat and picking up mammoth wages for not very little.

It's a club in crisis, of that there is no doubt. A manager who has lost the plot totally, boardroom shenanigans undermining whatever successes there are on the pitch, the rest of the teams no longer fear them, and an expensively assembled squad whose transfer fees are more relevant to their reputations than any actual talent.

As Glenn Keeley noted in the LET, we should be worried as they'll coming for Hughes once they get the guts to sack Fergie.

Good take on it at the Manchester Buccanneers site HERE Jono Shea and Liam Miller are my favorite parts.

"Keano slams Manchester team-mates

I've been a Manchester fan for ages and Roy Keano has always been my favorite kicker. After what he said today, I only like him more!

Keano ripped into part of the franchise's roster, claiming that they are not good enough at kicking to play for Manchester. It's not entirely surprising he said this though. Let's not forget this is the man who admitted deliberately hurting a team-mate - a member of Manchester's minor league side - during an exhibition game.

His comments have been criticised and the interview was cut from the Official TV station MUTV (which stands for Manchester's Uber-Truth Vehicle). But have a look at who he criticises and I defy you to argue with him.

Alan Smith

This is the kicker that is supposed to replace Keano in the "holding" middleman position. The only things he has in common with the great man are a 50-year-old's name and a love of knee-high tackles.

Jono Shea

Pop says Shea burst on to the scene three years ago and looked like Denis Irwin. He still looks like Irwin now, but unfortunately, Irwin is 40.

Keiran Richardson

Keano reckons Richardson should have been sold to the Western Bromwiches when we had the chance and this is the one thing I don't agree with him on. Richardson played brilliantly for Britain as they beat Team USA. It's just that the useless Sir Fergie is playing him as a defenseman, whereas a good and popular coach like Sven Eriksson lists him as an offensive middleman.

Liam Miller

Remind me which one he is again.

Darren Fletcher

Sir Fergie loves him, constantly going on about how Fletcher is going to lead the new Manchester Empire. I can only assume it means he is going to be the manager of a concert venue.

So it looks like Keano is only saying what long-term fans like me knows and Sir Fergie doesn't. Let's get the dream team of Keano and Sir Phelan to replace our ageing hairdresser head coach."

Give it ten years and people will talk of Chelsea like they do now of Man Utd ... time was when Man Utd were looked upon charitably as the talented team that just couldn't quite lose the albatross of 20+ years without a trophy.

Keane is finished as a player.

The three biggest villains of the piece in Man Utd's decline are Ferguson for signing such wretched players over the last three years (Veron for 30 mill stands out, Barthez cost almost 10 mill), and also for letting Beckham go because of an ego clash, the board for not having the nuts to sack him; and Rio Ferdinand for being the leading prat and picking up mammoth wages for not very little.

It's a club in crisis, of that there is no doubt. A manager who has lost the plot totally, boardroom shenanigans undermining whatever successes there are on the pitch, the rest of the teams no longer fear them, and an expensively assembled squad whose transfer fees are more relevant to their reputations than any actual talent.

As Glenn Keeley noted in the LET, we should be worried as they'll coming for Hughes once they get the guts to sack Fergie.

358541[/snapback]

To be fair what goes up must come down, they cannot win everhing forever. We need these teams to decline to inject some interest into football, and all major sides have bad seasons.

Ferguson is arguably the greatest British manager of all time (although I would put Cloughie amongst others ahead of him) and the 'crisis' consists of not being in the top four. The fans just need to buckle down and accept that sometimes things don't work out, the baiting of him is unfair.

If the next few seasons are affiars whereyou actually cannot predict who will be in the top four before a football is kicked that will be only good for the sport.

On current form it does seem that Chelsea are in a league of their own, while Arsenal still have a bit more class than everyone else and you suspect they should take second. Apart from that it is much of a muchness. Who knows who will grab third and fourth by the end of the season? It will be interesting!

For the first time since i started watching football (12 years back), I will be supporting Man U in a game, albeit grudgingly.

What I find most appalling is that Chelsea as a team expect referees to blatantly favor them, and when they dont, they throw tantrums over the fact that the referee was neutral!

Plus, "hard men" like Terry collapse after being touched while they can go and kick and shove who they want.

A full strength Arsenal team is still a match for Chelsea.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.