BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the full list going to Germany. Only Amo is missiing due to his operation.

GK: Friedel*, Enckelman.

CB:f: Todd*, Nelsen*, Mokoena, McEveley, Harkins.

FB: Neill*, Matteo, Gresko, Taylor, Gray.

CM: Savage*, Reid,  Tugay, Flitcroft, Douglas.

WM: Pedersen*, Emerton, Thompson.

Att: Bellamy*, Dickov, Kuqi, Jansen, Johnson, Gallagher, Derbyshire.

And being a bit sad I have put them all in order of where they stand in the pecking order (in my estimation, but I think it is accurate based on what we know). And to further compound my geekiness I have placed a star next to 'definate starters if available'. I will get my coat.

ps. looking at it we certainly do look like we are in need of another central defender. Moko is awful there, although he would be good as a full back in the Matteo mould or  in his supreme DM position. We need to bring another player in.

Also there is no obvious partner for Savage. Reid is okay but I have a funny feeling he wont adjust to being in the middle of a 442 too well, if thats what happens.

333200[/snapback]

I believe Dickov will have a bit part role this season....would be nice to see Bellamy/Jansen partnership with extra steel from Kuqi!

CB:f: Todd*, Nelsen*, Mokoena, McEveley, Harkins.

333200[/snapback]

Correct me if i'm wrong - but isn't Gary Harkins a central midfielder and occasional right back rather than a cb?

I'm disappointed that Hughes has taken Harkins instead of an attacking player with flair like Welch or Peter. Surely we have enough combative but flair-deficient midfielders and Andy Taylor, Ryan Nelsen, John Douglas and Reidy are makeshift right backs to cover Neill.

Agree that I'd rather see a "flair player" making the breakthrough, but Harkins has played with the reserves for a while now, and I believe he captained the Academy side when he was younger (although I could be making that up).

If Harkins has worked harder and is more advanced at this stage, then he deserves the spot more so than Peter or Welch--seeing as none of them will probably get a look in this year anyway. However, I get the feeling that Harkins won't ultimately make the grade at the Premiership level.

• 4 weeks later...

Unleaded wrote a little bit about him here, in the preseason thread after he was introduced as a substitute against Grimsby. 16 years old still and sounds a very good prospect--profile here (thanks to den for that link).

I'm also interested to hear if anyone has seen him play. He's only just about to turn 17, and his involvement with the first team in preseason and his good form (so far at least) for the reserves can only bode well for the future.

I really hope Jay McEveley gets a chance at centre half some time because that is his natural position and it would be a shame to see him disappear having only made first team appearances out of position.

332595[/snapback]

McEverly looked pretty poor at centre back in pre season. Think he looked alot better and more confident at left back.

There`s a winger/striker by the name of Abdi Ahmed(Somalian) who should be playing for the Academy this year worth keeping an eye on.I remember him playing for Wales in the victory Sheild and leading them to the finals with his goals for the first time , since a certain Mark Hughes lead Wales to the finals.I think Rovers pinched him from Man U.

Here`s a link passed on by someone who`s seen him play this year and a certain Keith Treacy is in the opposing team.

Rovers starlet.

• 4 weeks later...

Rovers Academy beat Barnsley 2-0 today.

Rovers lined up:

1. Frank Fielding

2. Dean Winnard

3. Mark King

4. Josh O'Keefe

5. Adam Thomas

6. Stephen Thomson

7. Alan Judge

8. Abdi Ahmed

9. Jamie Clarke

10. Joe Garner

11. Keith Treacy

SUBS

12. Andrew Haworth

13. Zak Jones

14. Jonathan Bateson

15. Raffaele Devita

16. Junior Dadson

Rovers Academy beat Barnsley 2-0 today.

Rovers lined up:

1. Frank Fielding

2. Dean Winnard

3. Mark King

4. Josh O'Keefe

5. Adam Thomas

6. Stephen Thomson

7. Alan Judge

8. Abdi Ahmed

9. Jamie Clarke

10. Joe Garner

11. Keith Treacy

SUBS

12. Andrew Haworth

13. Zak Jones

14. Jonathan Bateson

15. Raffaele Devita

16. Junior Dadson

344580[/snapback]

Whats happend to Welch ?

12. Andrew Haworth

If you're after skillful players here's one. He was in the same team as my brother in the academy and he's a very good player. He has always been extremely tricky ever since he was 9/10, the only thing that used to let him down was his final selection. Sometime he'd pass when he could easily take someone on, or sometimes try and take someone on when he should pass. Bit like Emerton really in that sense. But hopefully he has developed that side of his game a bit now.

However he's only 16 and don't think he'd be ready for the first team just yet smile.gif

Edited by cn174

Matty Derbyshire scored a hat trick for Plymouth reserves tonight.

345160[/snapback]

I thought the idea of loaning him out was so he would get first team football. He might do after that hat-trick though.

Well Done Matt rover.gif

I think Sergio Peter is a good player and worth a new contract.Rovers have made good contacts in Germany and are increasing the amount of players from the German market.

They have just this season signed Kevin Pezzonni and Mamdia Keita, both German under 17 internationals.

Keita signed from FC Klone in particular is worth keeping an eye on and was chased by the big German Clubs before opting for the Rovers.

Keita

Edited by unleaded

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.