BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or has the academy now brought in more promising youngsters than usual?

New names coming up all the time, great news of course..

EDIT: Oh, and wasn't Kevin Pezzoni a big, goalscoring midfielder when he joined? smile.gif

Edited by herbergeehh

Is it just me, or has the academy now brought in more promising youngsters than usual?

345808[/snapback]

Fantastic news, yes, so long as they get their chance, of course.

Our youth facilities are outstanding. Some of the best in Europe and I think that Hughes has got this earmarked as a production line for quaility players. If your likes of Crewe can produce soo many good players, why not us? In fact with our facilities surely we can produce more? I think our the products of our youth system need to feature more and filter through more.

(I know this is a much discussed topic and I don't claim to be an expert on how and when to bring them through. I just think we should!)

I think it is more a case of with Hughes/Bowen/Eddie/Glyn etc taking a much greater interest of all levels of football at the club, a lot of players have moved up the ranks a lot quicker.

For instance four of our under 18 squad actually aren't based with the Academy any more (Garner, Treacy, Nolan, Hodge), they are based up at the senior training centre to help their progression.

Almost all of last season's Academy winning side are now reserve regulars, with the majority of Gary Bowyer's under 18 side now actually made up of players who are 17, 16 and 15.

Previously Rovers have taken advantage of the system that allows teams to field an overage player, but they won't be doing that as the staff want to keep pushing the youngsters forwards as opposed to backwards.

Off the top of my head, three players who played in the Academy 18's 4-1 win over Sunderland today are elgible to play for the under 16s. Two of them aren't even listed on the under 18s squad because of this (Bateson, Rogers).

Incidentally, Sunderland were coached by Kevin Ball, I found it quite amusing when he shouted "stay on your feet when you are tackling" to a young lad, oh yes just like you did against Dunny in December 2000?

Glyn Hodges was again down there keeping an eye on the lads whereas under the previous regime Souness's staff were rarely spotted at the Academy.

Talking of Hodges' reserves, they are in action on Monday night at Ewood Park, ko 7pm, when Sunderland are the visitors.

Edited by Lee

EDIT: Oh, and wasn't Kevin Pezzoni a big, goalscoring midfielder when he joined? smile.gif

345808[/snapback]

I've only seen Kevin play once and that was at centre half, but when I worked with Gary Bowyer on the player profiles he did say he can play in midfield, didn't mention goalscoring though, I assume he's injured as he was there today but didn't play.

Cheers, Lee, very interesting news!

Good to see Garner, Nolan, Treacy and Hodge take a step up, and especially considering their age. (Hodge is 18, the three others are 17, according to rovers.co.uk)

How far do you think these players are from making the senior squad, Lee?

When visiting the Academy last year, Michael (?) something showed us around, and when questioned about Joe Garner, he compared him to Alan Shearer in playing style and commitment.

But I guess Garner is still lightweight for the top league?

He doesn't strike me (from the roversworld footage, haven't seen him live!) as the type of player to bang in goals as a youth because he's big for his age. So I guess he has to have a lot of other qualities, which gives me hope for the future.

I mean, what would be better than to get through a new Duff (Treacy? wink.gif ) or a new Alan Shearer. I'd even settle for a new Chris Sutton.. biggrin.gif

Edited by herbergeehh

right now, I'd say the first to make the step-up would be Keith Treacy, based solely on the fact that he's already played for Mark Hughes this pre-season.

It would be cruel to compare Keith to Duff, the only similarities are that they are left footed, Irish and play left-midfield, but they are different types of players.

Keith beats players for pace, Duff beats them with trickery.

Michael Keir (I assume) might compare Joe Garner to Shearer, but I'd compare him to Alan Smith, he's more of that type of player.

Nolan is a cool composed central defender and Hodge is an all action midfielder.

Whilst its great that I can now cover the Academy side in great detail and have a good relationship with Gary Bowyer, I don't want to build up fans hopes about a player too soon as it could quite easily lead to disappointment if they are released without ever getting close to a first team appearance.

The Academy staff work with these players week-in week-out, I only see them once in a while.

Even so, I have to say Jamie Clarke was outstanding this afternoon, great pace, great technique and close control. The Sunderland defenders couldn't live with him.

Edited by Lee

The Academy staff work with these players week-in week-out, I only see them once in a while.

345980[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, Lee!

I'd appreciate it, and I'm sure many others on here too, if you might give us regular little updates like this on here. It'd provide an invaluable insight into the youth scene.

Also, of secondary importance, get that young Hungarian GK to a barber. He's never going to make it in English footy with a haircut like that! ;-)

Edited by DanLad

I'll settle for Alan Smith, Lee, it's all okay! biggrin.gif

I get your point, but thanks for the info anyway.

Don't agree with Dan on the goalkeeper's haircut though, every team needs an Abel Xavier imo..

EDIT: Yes, it was Michael Keir (checked the academy site) who talked to us.

Edited by herbergeehh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Garner played for England under 19s the other day (they lost 2-1 to Poland cool.gif thats certainly why he didn't play for the reserves last time out.

I'd already written an internationals update when I spotted that this game had taken place. So never got round to mentioning.

FA's match report

Incidentally, Tony Kane and Eddie Nolan will come head to head on Monday in a UEFA under 19s qualifying match. Keith Treacy is on standby for the Irish.

Edited by Lee

just lookin at the front page of the site which showed one De vita as scoring a few goals for the U18s we bought him a few seasons ago didnt we and there was even a topic dedicated to him......i think. any one who has seen him play if u could spread some light i would be most grateful.

Sky Sports have a short interview with defender Tony Ryan here. Can't say I've ever heard of him but he seems to be an under-19 international with Northern Ireland. Has he played for the reserves much or even at all?

Interestingly...

"Who is the most skilful player you have played with?

Sergio Peter"

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Sky Sports have a short interview with defender Tony Ryan here. Can't say I've ever heard of him but he seems to be an under-19 international with Northern Ireland. Has he played for the reserves much or even at all?

Interestingly...

"Who is the most skilful player you have played with?

Sergio Peter"

354525[/snapback]

Cant have played with many, as I said before, hes very very one dimensional

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.