Man Utd Yth 14 8 3 3 37 17 20 27

Blackburn Yth 14 8 3 3 27 17 10 27

Man City Yth 14 7 4 3 27 19 8 25

Stoke Yth 15 6 5 4 24 21 3 23

Bolton Yth 15 5 7 3 20 16 4 22

Everton Yth 14 5 5 4 15 14 1 20

Crewe Yth 15 5 5 5 22 25 -3 20

West Brom Yth 14 3 5 6 20 29 -9 14

That league table isn't up-to-date, it doesn't include the Rovers game from what I can see as Saturday was the 4th time we've lost and I'd already noted that if City defeat us then they'd go above us.

Lee IMHO this current position truely reflects this current Academy team`s rightful place, when they were top and you went and watched them you had to say that it was a bad reflection on the National Academy system.The likes of Thompson( this guy is so fat and yet the Academy staff are not doing anything about it),Barr,Thomsom,king,Howarth are never going to make it in the game(IMHO)and they should be let go asap for there sake and for Rovers`s aswell.

My tips for the Top are:

Ralph Welch

Sergio Peter

Frank Fielding-excellent Young player.Big hopes

Dark Horses with a bit of hard work:

Junior Dadson

Ryan Woods

Abdi Ahmed

P.s Lee was the Man City striker who scored the hattrick for them by any chance Daniel Sturridge?Do you see any similaraties in Junior Dadson and Sturridge?

Edited by unleaded

You've seen them once yet base all those opinions on one game?

I'm glad the coaches don't!

The Manchester City player who scored a hat-trick was a centre forward who was about 6' 5" nothing like Dadson, regardless of them playing in different positions.

I didn't catch his name but it certainly wasn't that.

I certainly have no recollections about slating the National Academy system.

Edited by Lee

Yes Lee you can tell a good player straight away.

When Rovers signed Nelsen, Mark Hughes said that you could tell in the first half hour that we had to sign him!The players that come over mostly have 1 match to show the manager what they can do or what they can`t. It does not take a genius to figure out that the above mentioned players especially the academy defence will be found out this season(6-1 anda 4-3 )he best Players in theire Opionions.This bloke Thomson and Tompson are not very good defenders and i am sure they have been with the Rovers set up for a long time now and if the coaches still can`t tell if they are good defenders then we do have a problem. know the scouts pick them but then they have to play in trial matche in front of these so called coaches so really they have`nt seen them just onece.

Also, Thompson has played two times for the reserves this season. Maybe the coaches who see the players day in, day out has seen something that you've missed, Unleaded?

Oh, and saying "this guy is so fat and the academy is doing nothing about it" is both very rude to a 17 year old boy you've seen once (?) and (unless you have very good contacts within the academy) at best speculative.

Does he just look big next to other 17 year olds?

Rooney looks 'fat' compared to some players, but he isn't and I wouldn't kick him out of the team, if we had him.

I find some things baffling. Some players are 'too lightweight', but if you're just a little bit bigger your classed at the other end of the spectrum. You've got a bit of brawn so your 'fat'

That said I've not seen the players involved. Just a general comment smile.gif

The point with youngsters, is that they sometimes excell against other, not so big players, simply because of their size.

When others catch up with them physically, then unless they are something special, they don't come through.

Oh, and saying "this guy is so fat and the academy is doing nothing about it" is both very rude to a 17 year old boy you've seen once (?) and (unless you have very good contacts within the academy) at best speculative.

366513[/snapback]

If he wants to be a footballer he's going to have to learn to take abuse from both home and away fans. ph34r.gif

Lee, what i am trying to say is that the academy has got a very poor defence this year apart from the goali(Feilding).The likes of Thomas,Thomson,King are very poor/average players and it does`nt matter that they are 17 or 27, lately the results have showed that(last 3 games:6-1(lost),4-3,(lost)drew2-2(drew).This team(Academy) with these players in defence will not do well(IMHO) this year.If the coaches cannot see that then it is very sad for BRFC.

What is worrying about the Academy is the style of football they play-which is I am told a hoofing of the ball to the strikers and cuts out any potential skilful play -as well as a total failure to produce any Premiership quality players since the Uunn era. I wonder if a big shake-up is called for.

Man City played their strongest side possible, most of the lads were 18 and they had their couple of overage players in there too.

Most of the Academy side that played saturday (and most saturdays) were first year lads, some that had only just turned sixteen.

I don't have time to look through the reserve side that played tonight, but I'd say that more than half would still be eligible to feature for the Academy, in fact all of the bench except Garner played on Saturday for Gary Bowyer's side.

Which means that the current crop of Academy players have actually been doing very well as they've been coming up against players that are a couple of years older.

92er, in the four or five Academy games I've seen this season I'd say it isn't hit and hope stuff, it can be hit forward early looking for the pace of our frontmen (sound familiar?) but generally it is played out to the wingers.

The Academy isn't there to produce under 18 league winning sides, it is there to provide players for the first team, and a lot of them have already made the step up to the next level which is the reserves.

I have no doubt that at some point the likes of Peter, Taylor, Nolan and Treacy will be knocking heavily on that first team door.

Edited by Lee

The standard of youth team football, especially at Ewood is far better under the academy system, than it ever was previously. That's true of youth football at all clubs I think.

I've watched rovers youth for quite a few years now, not as much as some people admittedly, but the academy teams have always tried to play it to feet when I've watched them. There are some physical sides around in that league, but rovers have never been one of them.

you are right Den

after all, all those years ago they let me slip the net and I only turned out for Wheelton Rovers, Chorley second team then the Royal Navy Command Team !

and for the record

in 1982/83 I scored 6 hatricks in 6 consecutive matches, including a 4 haul agaisnt the then mighty Eagle and Child

oh the memories biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.