BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

rover.gif i see sergio peter notched a double for the stiffs last night,how far is this lad off a 1st team call-up?surely he must be rewarded with a call-up soon.with both 1st team wingers stuggling to show any sort off form lately let's hope it's soon tinykit.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lee thankyou for your insight on the youth side.Talking of Keith Treacy where is the young lad these days? Is he injured or something?will he be playing in the youth cup V Spurs?

Knee injury, expected to be out for a month or so I've heard.

Sergio has been part of the 20 man squad for quite some time now. If he keeps this up it won't be long before he makes the 16.

I can certainly see him making a first team appearance before the season ends.

Edited by Lee

right now, I'd say the first to make the step-up would be Keith Treacy, based solely on the fact that he's already played for Mark Hughes this pre-season.

It would be cruel to compare Keith to Duff, the only similarities are that they are left footed, Irish and play left-midfield, but they are different types of players.

Keith beats players for pace, Duff beats them with trickery.

Michael Keir (I assume) might compare Joe Garner to Shearer, but I'd compare him to Alan Smith, he's more of that type of player.

Nolan is a cool composed central defender and Hodge is an all action midfielder.

Whilst its great that I can now cover the Academy side in great detail and have a good relationship with Gary Bowyer, I don't want to build up fans hopes about a player too soon as it could quite easily lead to disappointment if they are released without ever getting close to a first team appearance.

The Academy staff work with these players week-in week-out, I only see them once in a while.

Even so, I have to say Jamie Clarke was outstanding this afternoon, great pace, great technique and close control. The Sunderland defenders couldn't live with him.

345980[/snapback]

It would be nice to shout Garner again. Chances of him getting the no 10 shirt?

This is the first time that I have visited this topic and very interesting it is too. Thank you Lee for your up-dates on the young players - it seems as if we have some good prospects in the pipeline. Please continue to keep us informed.

Happy to help where I can.

Can I remind everyone that next Monday Rovers take on Tottenham Hotspur at Ewood Park in the 3rd round of the FA Youth Cup.

Free entry for Season Ticket Holders, £3 Adults, £1 concessions for those who aren't.

With the reserves not having a game until the new year, the likes of Hodge, Garner, and Nolan will all likely play (and all internationals at their age levels too), adding some much needed experience to the young side.

I hope Sergio gets a taste of the action sometime soon. It may do MGP some good too, to be rested or dropped. He hasnt been firing on all cylinders, maybe gotten a little complacent cause he knows there isnt anyone to challenge him for his spot right now.

367144[/snapback]

Seems like I mentioned this about MGP a few weeks ago and got a right ticking off.

I hope Sergio gets a taste of the action sometime soon. It may do MGP some good too, to be rested or dropped. He hasnt been firing on all cylinders, maybe gotten a little complacent cause he knows there isnt anyone to challenge him for his spot right now.

367144[/snapback]

What about Keith Treacy? Wouldn't he be the obvious choice to step into MGP's shoes, at least for part of a game?

I would love to see Sergio given a game this weekend against Fulham as they aren't exactly the worlds greatest team and it might give MGP a kick up the arse that he needs right now. We all know how good MGP is when he can be bothered, i just cannot understand why he isn't playing at his best right now.

Very happy to hear though that our young guns are doing well, might just bring home the youth cup for us.

Sergio Peter has been in red hot form lately for the researves and now is the right time to give him a quick dip in the first team waters and see how he shapes up,Come on Sparky put him on the bench to send MGP a wake up message.

Interesting article, Philip. Rovers scouting system's probably nowhere near as structured as the big boys but during the Souey regime we did snap up young, relatively obscure players from the continent, particularly Germany - Sergio Peter, David Yelldell, Marc Sebastian Pelzer, Kevin Pezzoni.

I don't know if the German scout/s has buggered off to assist Newcastle now (not a bad thing considering the high failure rate of our German signings).

Edited by rover6

Apart from Bellamy, our team lacks attacking players who can make direct runs at the opposition and cause damage. Sergio Peter has done that for the reserves so surely he should be an option for the firsts, especially with Pedersen, Emerton and Bentley not exactly performing brilliantly.

BTW Good luck to the Youth Team. A win over the Spuds (who seem to have the belief that they have the greatest youth players around - one of their many delusions) would be fab.

Apart from Bellamy, our team lacks attacking players who can make direct runs at the opposition and cause damage. Sergio Peter has done that for the reserves so surely he should be an option for the firsts, especially with Pedersen, Emerton and Bentley not exactly performing brilliantly.

BTW Good luck to the Youth Team. A win over the Spuds (who seem to have the belief that they have the greatest youth players around - one of their many delusions) would be fab.

367774[/snapback]

Because you have seen Sergio peter play, and you've also seen Pedersen,Emerton and Bentley not performing???

I see Gary Harkins has opted not to play for Blackpool another month, and is heading back to Blackburn..

Also, their player Ciaran Donnelly has returned from a 3 match ban. When did he sign for them exactly? 4 goals in a u20 match, 'the next homegrown midfield star', anyone know how he's been doing in the Championship?

Garner is still just 17, but would you say his progress has stopped, Lee? (or others)

As for Taylor, if we can get him or McEveley in as our new leftback come next season, I'd be delighted.

Edited by herbergeehh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.