BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taylor is left footed, he plays predominantly at left back or left centre half, but Hughes was that short of full backs that he has featured as right back pre-season.

Garner has probably played for England's youth teams this season, whilst he's featured seven times for the reserves, scoring twice. He's still young and is in his first year with the reserves.

Ciaran Donnelly is in his second season with Blackpool, he moved to the seasiders when his contract ended with Rovers.

rover.gif went to the youth match,2-0 flattered us,as it was a very even game.the defence played well.jamie clarke was the pick off the forwards,scored a brilliant 2nd goal in injury time,garner was quiet after a decent 1st half.but i reckon spurs would give most teams a run for there money tinykit.gif

Agreed, Tottenham matched Rovers but never looked threatening, Mark King had a good game at left back, and Jamie Clarke took his goal well but my man of the match would have to be right winger Alan Judge.

Roll on Round 4, hopefully against the Dingles who beat Hull 2-3.

One of the favourites, Arsenal, knocked out on penalties.

Man Utd, Man City, Newcastle, Bolton, Liverpool all through.

West Ham who beat Rovers last year = through

The big club = out

3rd Round Results

STOP PRESS. Rovers drawn at home to Derby Co. Dingles home to Fulham.

4th Round Draw

Edited by rog of the rovers

I won't go into a big match report, but overall it wasn't a brilliant game, but the moment where the ball got stuck up a Spurs player's shirt was worth the free entrance fee alone.

I thought Clarke was our best player. he was rapid and strong, though perhaps not as selfish as he should have been. Garner was quiet really - Spurs seemed to do a good job with him. I thought everybody played pretty well and Frankie didn't have many saves to make, though when he did he did comfortably.

I'm guessing Woods was playing left wing (didn't get a team sheet and I've not seen the guy recently) but he looks OK enough, if unspectacular. When the guy was playing schools football he looked absolutely magical on the ball but truth be told he looks no better or worse than most of the 22 on the pitch last night.

My Raings

Fielding-6

Bateson-6

Thompson-7

Nolan-6

King-7

Judge-8

Hodge-6

Pezzoni-5

Woods-6

Clarke-7

Garner-6

O'Keefe (for Hodge)-5

367954[/snapback]

Wouldnt disagree with those marks very accurate, the top two picks for me were Jamie Clarke how much pace as this lad got, and Alan Judge a similar looking player to David Thompson.

Definitely going to keep an eye on Jamie Clarke and see how he progresses, to me he has the biggest potential of all the lads out there to make it but at what level we will have to see.

rover.gif following on from last night i would say these young players have a long way to go,but lets hope a decent cup run will spur them on.

my rainings tongue.gif

1, feilding 7 dropped one cross and was beaten once to which a defender came to his aid.

2 bateson 7 very young looking but tigerish in the challenge,and one superb cross.

3 king 8 motm imo strong,tough tackling and read the came well.

4 hodge 7 my best midfielder,but got took off.

5 thomson 8 ran king close for the motm,a defenders defender.

6 nolan 7 expected more after the guy behind me told me how we stole him off mufc,with fergie going ape.

7 judge 7 in and out like most wingers,one brilliant run in the 2nd half.

8 pezzoni 5 built like a giant,tackles like a fairy,and can't head.

9 clarke 7 to say he just back from injury,he improved all game and scored a cracker.

10 garner 6 fantastic with the head for a small chap,but seemed to believe he has made it.

11 woods 7 ditto to judge

sub o'keffe 6 had more shots in 15 mins than the rest off the midfield. tinykit.gif

Lee, seeing as you were at the Youth match last night, can yoy give us your marks out 10 for each player and a breif discription of how each player played IYHO.Thanks.How did woods play?

367927[/snapback]

I'd rather not put marks of ten as the players know me!...

Fielding: very little to do, marshalled his defence well, dropped one catch under pressure but thats about.

Bateson: Only his second start at this level and his first at Ewood Park, nervy to start with but grew in confidence as the game wore on.

Nolan: A calming influence at the back, comfortable on the ball, but this confidence almost saw him caught out on occasions

Thomson: Excellent, he'd get my MOM, saved Rovers on at least two occasions with blocks and tackles, strong in the air, forceful in the tackle

King: Ran his socks off, worked well with his mate Woods down the win, always eager to support going forward, but often the first back to mop up.

Judge: The Irish version of Paul Dickov, he never gives up and but for a little bit of luck could have grabbed a couple of goals, does well on the right wing despite him preferring to play up front.

Hodge: Ran the midfield, broke up play, won important tackles, and good distribution, everything you'd want a midfielder to do.

Pezzoni: Struggled on his Ewood debut

Woods: Created everything in the first 15 minutes, a busy midfielder who can play pretty much everywhere and this versatility means he is comfortable in many situations.

Garner: Old head on young shoulders, people my have thought he didn't have a good game, but he rarely lost the ball, almost always found a team-mate, won numerous headers against much taller markers, had a hand in the opening goal.

Clarke: Anyone who reads my Academy match reports will know that this guy is fast, I would like to see Jamie and Bellamy in a head to head because there is no doubt he's quick, but he is also quick with the ball at his feet and his persistence got him the goal he deserved.

O'Keefe: Impressed in a 15 minute performance, almost grabbed a rare goal, lots of forward running.

If Jamie Clarke is that fast then how soon before he makes the first team with that kind of pace.

Clarke definitely blows Jemal Johnson and Keith Barker out of the water as potential first team attackers if he can maintain that kind of pace.

Thankyou Lee, we don`t know what we`d do without your "insight".I have said it before and am not ashmed to say it again, we Rovers fans are very lucky to have Lee working on the "Senior" site.We must have the best Academy site on the PTV Brand. Thankyou.

• 5 weeks later...

That explains it, well you are right, he put in some good incisive passes in our best moves last night and broke up the play well. Must have been told to get stuck in a bit more and that he did.

Clarke looked lucky with both his finishes, especially the second, but he is damn pacey!!

• 3 weeks later...

Blackburn Rovers Academy beat Liverpool Youth 1-0 on saturday to go back to top of the league.Rovers winner was scored by Abdi Ahmed(pictured below), a midfeilder signed from Man U.

user posted image

Edited by unleaded

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.