BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Academy - Young Guns

How else are we going to get a Dunn or a Duff in their pomp playing for Rovers? We certainly can't afford to bring them in when they are delivering the goods at the top level. Not so long ago we were linked with Stuart Downing but what would he cost in a transfer? Young English winger - £5million?

The Academy is just a modernised version of the old youth system that produced Duff and Dunn. If we scrap the Academy then what do we replace it with? We've just got to hope that the young players coming through now will do better than those over the last few seasons. I'd suggest though that the example of Danns and Beattie shows that just because we let them go early doesn't mean they aren't necessarily good enough and may still have a future. We got £1million off the Kevin Davies fee for Beattie. Even including the sell-on clause...we wuz robbed. mad.gif

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure exactly how talented this young Gunning is, but it does show what a good academy can bring us. If Chelsea, Man Utd etc. were after him, and he has the potential to become a good Premiership player, then a great academy (with it's facilities and good coaches) to show and a reputation for giving youth a chance is our best chance to pick up the next Walcott, the next Rooney, the next Duff.

Wouldn't it be nice to come up with players of this standard again- the best full back ever to play for Rovers ( since Bob Crompton anyway ), the best centre half I've ever seen , and a centre forward second only to Shearer in my opinion.

Funnily enough none of these players started off in the position they later made their own, is there a case for experimenting with players in different positions, Andy Mc Evoy also started as a pretty average midfielder but became a goal scoring machine when he was moved up front.

How else are we going to get a Dunn or a Duff in their pomp playing for Rovers? We certainly can't afford to bring them in when they are delivering the goods at the top level. Not so long ago we were linked with Stuart Downing but what would he cost in a transfer? Young English winger - £5million.

383573[/snapback]

I am totally in favour of having an Academy-Uncle Jack saw it as one of his major legacies.

What I am questioning is how effective it is at the moment and what can be done to improve it. I have been watching Youth teams for 35+ years and one of the problems is watching lads who have the potential to make it. You hope they will make it but very few can do so.Even in very good years, you will be lucky if more than 1 makes it at the top level.

Wouldn't it be nice to come up with players of this standard again- the best full back ever to play for Rovers ( since Bob Crompton anyway ), the best centre half I've ever seen , and a centre forward second only to Shearer in my opinion.

Funnily enough none of these players started off in the position they later made their own, is there a case for experimenting with players in different positions, Andy Mc Evoy also started as a pretty average midfielder but became a goal scoring machine when he was moved up front.

383614[/snapback]

Good post!

Just seen that Rob Kelly has just been made manager of Leicester. He was hotly tipped to take over as academy director at Rovers when Bobby Downes retires, but moved to Leicester in Nov 04. He was in charge of the youth team when we were in the final in 98 v Everton and the one against Arsenal and he brought through players such as Dunn, Taylor, Gallagher

• 1 month later...
i think garner will have a good future and hopefully Mcevely will be given a chance along side tayor and gallagher. wasnt alex bruce from our acadamy

383498[/snapback]

My Ipswich supporting and season ticket holding mate has absolutely nothing positive to say about McEveley. He thinks he is useless in central defense and well as full back. I know that Jay has been haunted by injuries but I never felt comfortable when seeing him play, except for when he first broke in to the team.

Edited by tcj_jones

• 2 weeks later...

They went out at the semi final stage last time they were there. It was a young squad that time as Rovers were battling in the latter stages of the Youth Cup at the time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.