BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why?

cn174

If you look at the friendlies that have all included two teams from England, Holland, Germany, France and Argentina in the past year or two i would say England come out as having performed the best. Englands problem will be, as ever in major tournaments, against teams they underestimate. They are lucky the greeks, danes and norweigens are not there. Germany have to rely on the extra boost of home support and Jurgens jungs (Mertesacker, Huth, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Deisler) coming good as he has promised. We were the better side against France though, although Trezugeut should have beaten Lehmann (also known as liabilitymann)

Both the french and dutch teams seem to be full of amazing talent but show little in the way of end results. The dutch have some wonderful players in their squad (just who do you play up front???) and i can't understand whats going wrong - although they have had a sven-like approach to some recent friendlies.

I havent seen much of the italians, although they did look good in the highlights against the dutch, better than England or Germany did anyway (although Robben, who was the only reason they got the draw against Germany, didnt play against Italy, neither did horseface), again i havent seen much of the spaniards.

oh, and philip, i certainly wont be hoping for that draw in the last 16!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The result against argentina shows really that there is a two level system at international level.

England, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic all operate on one.

Brazil are on another entirely. Just thank the lord their defence is average otherwise no one would stand a chance.

Englands problem will be, as ever in major tournaments, against teams they underestimate

360752[/snapback]

I'm not sure where you have got that from, I can't recall the last time we went out to an 'inferior' side. Admittedly my memory only stretches back to '96, but since then it's been Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal. I can't remember a lot about 2000, did we go out in the group stage? I guess that's the worst.

Still, come major tournaments, we always seem to avoid potential banana skins.

Edited by LeChuck

I'm not sure where you have got that from, I can't recall the last time we went out to an 'inferior' side.  Admittedly my memory only stretches back to '96, but since then it's been Germany, Argentina, Brazil and Portugal.  I can't remember a lot about 2000, did we go out in the group stage?  I guess that's the worst.

Still, come major tournaments, we always seem to avoid potential banana skins.

360755[/snapback]

Portugal is actually one of the sides i thought of as an English underestimation, but other than that havent you had quite a few 'difficult' games in the first two matchs of those competitions, leaving a lot of catching up work?

The result against argentina shows really that there is a two level system at international level.

England, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Holland, Spain, Portugal, Czech Republic all operate on one.

Brazil are on another entirely. Just thank the lord their defence is average otherwise no one would stand a chance.

360754[/snapback]

Everyone always criticises Brazil's defence and I did to in the past. However, in Lucio and Edmilson, Brazil have two world class defenders. They also have Emerson, arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world. I don't see their defence as their weak spot, only the thing that nobody associates with Brazil.

Everyone always criticises Brazil's defence and I did to in the past. However, in Lucio and Edmilson, Brazil have two world class defenders. They also have Emerson, arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world. I don't see their defence as their weak spot, only the thing that nobody associates with Brazil.

360793[/snapback]

Well, okay, it's not weak. But its not outstanding either, certianly not in the same way that their attack is at present. Anybody else readily recall an attacking five as talented as Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano and Robinho?

I was actually quite gutted after watching the game. I watched both legs and thought England were brilliant and very unlucky. They came up gainst a decent French team and were beaten due because that French cheat won them a penalty. It was great to see an England side give it their all for their country and i was impressed with Tom Huddlestone who looked a different class playing defensive midfield and Anton Ferdinand looked quality as well. It's a shame that the penalty incident spoilt 2 great game of football.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.