BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manchester City 0 Blackburn Rovers 0

Ricky

It sounds like this game was pretty dire. I would have settled for a point before the game, because City have been playing well this season. It would have been nice to bring the form we should against Charlton into this game, but it wasn't to be. At least we didn't lose and we are ahead of Newcastle. The day was made better by Celtic beating Rnagers 3-0. Some great goals, some dreadful defending and it was a pleasure to watch Japanese star Shunsuke Nakamura at his very best. He totally destroyed Rangers, with his passing and his ability to go round players. There's a player that we missed out on!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The highlight of the City game was the Rovers fans singing in the concourse at half time whilst the second half had began - lets all have a discothey sang, they obviously knew that a disco would have provided better entertainment than the football.

As for the football, Bellamy and Dickov should have been subbed twenty plus minutes before the end because the City defenders had them in their pockets.

Overall we've got to be pleased, Nelsen slotted back into the side with ease.

Reid even without a kicking a ball, again looked a total numpty when pearce came onto the pitch to get the ball, thank god emerton is back for the next match.

362154[/snapback]

I didn't see him look a numpty. As far as I can see he didn't even look at Pearce and his expression didn't change at all. He just threw the ball back, which is what every player does when they are doing a bit of time wasting just before the irate opponent gets to you.

I always find it amazing how the players that we have that _aren't_ playing are always considered to be better then the ones that are. It's always 'wait for such-a-body to get back he's great' The fact that they've been pretty poor for years goes out the window!

For the avoidance of doubt I'm not anti-Emerton or pro-Reid I just find some peoples opinions baffling.

There's one chap in the Riverside who slags off Reid for everything even when he's having a reasonable game. Everything that goes wrong is Reid's fault as far as he's concerned. It gets on my tits. Get behind the lads. Don't slag 'em off because you've already made your mind up about them.

Also, I didn't go to the game so maybe Reid was a numpty all game! Was he?

Pearce should have been red carded for his pitch invasions...

362177[/snapback]

If ALL the players on the pitch had shown the same passion and commitment as Pearce and sparky always do, we would have been treated to a FANTASTIC GAME OF FOOTBALL!

[

362214[/snapback]

I did go and he was.

To be fair to Reidy he was playing in a role that doesn't suit him and he couldn't be faulted for his effort - he gave 100%.

With a bit more ambition (oh for a fit Matt Jansen of 2002), we could have won it. Their central defence was ok but the midfield was ours.

A point was ok.

0-0 away to Citeh isn't a bad result even if either side couldn't muster one shot on target for the whole game...which is pretty pathetic. Then again it shows how defensively stable both sides are. Just a quick quaestion, will Todd the captain yesterday be dropped next weekend when Lucas is back? Surely Zura and Nelsen are our first two now?

Just seen the topicm on the messageboard!

Edited by Somerset Rover!

I was having a pint of Cystal in The Mitre yesterday, you know the one near Selfidges? Anyway, it turned out he was waiting for a train to Darwen to go and watch FC United! He used to go to Old Trafford but gave up acouple of years ago to watch the little team play instead.

I was having a pint of Cystal in  The Mitre yesterday, you know the one near Selfidges? Anyway, it turned out he was waiting for a train to Darwen to go and watch FC United! He used to go to Old Trafford but gave up acouple of years ago to watch the little team play instead.

362234[/snapback]

Who?

362214[/snapback]

No he wasn't. He played his part like everyone else did in a solid Rovers performance. True we didn't create anything but neither did City.

A good point for us against a team who have been pretty good in previous home games this season. We seem to be getting a bit of unfair criticism for spoiling the game - complete rubbish. We did a professional job.

For those who were fortunate enough to watch the match, how did Gray do? Was he stuck back alongside his central defenders for the full 90' or did he make any useful forward runs. I was glad and shocked when he was announced as a starter as I had already resigned myself to the fact that he'd be out for another week or two. Did his play look like his injury was lingering or did he look pretty solid?

Other than that, I'm glad for the point. A stolen win would have been better, but beggar's can't be choosers...

Mickey Gray was the only back four player who came under any real pressure. To be fair though, he got little protection from MGP, but he coped. He couldn't get forward enough because of that.

Kishi did ok for a centre half playing full back, but didn't have enough quality to cause problems going forward.

Nelsen was superb and Todd never put a foot wrong.

It sounds like this game was pretty dire. I would have settled for a point before the game, because City have been playing well this season. It would have been nice to bring the form we should against Charlton into this game, but it wasn't to be. At least we didn't lose and we are ahead of Newcastle. The day was made better by Celtic beating Rnagers 3-0. Some great goals, some dreadful defending and it was a pleasure to watch Japanese star Shunsuke Nakamura at his very best. He totally destroyed Rangers, with his passing and his ability to go round players. There's a player that we missed out on!

362192[/snapback]

Don't think Rovers or any Prem team went in for Nakamura and don't think we'd have got him if we had. Celtic really pulled out all the stops to get him, still, it would be nice to see him at Ewood.

Mickey Gray was the only back four player who came under any real pressure. To be fair though, he got little protection from MGP, but he coped. He couldn't get forward enough because of that.

Kishi did ok for a centre half playing full back, but didn't have enough quality to cause problems going forward.

362247[/snapback]

Thanks for that, Den. It's good to see our back four stand strong away from home. And now for next week we have defensive selection problems. But whenever you have selection problems with the defense (other than because of injuries or bad performances) it's the beginnings of a winning squad so I won't complain one bit.

Thanks for that, Den.  It's good to see our back four stand strong away from home.  And now for next week we have defensive selection problems.  But whenever you have selection problems with the defense (other than because of injuries or bad performances) it's the beginnings of a winning squad so I won't complain one bit.

362257[/snapback]

We are having a problem because we cant select 2 from Todd, Nelsen, and Zura. A far cry from the days when our choices were Johansson, Amoruso, Taylor and Matteo tongue.gif

362247[/snapback]

I beg to differ, I thought that MGP worked tirelessly in ensuring that Gray was never in any trouble, certainly in the first half when the play on the left was just in front of me. All of our back four were excellent once Nelsen got over his nervous spell at the beginning of the game.

Edited by Lee

The highlight of the City game was the Rovers fans singing in the concourse at half time whilst the second half had began - lets all have a discothey sang, they obviously knew that a disco would have provided better entertainment than the football.

362207[/snapback]

They also sang "we`re not really here!"

The Invisible Man got a mention too.

So it must have been Wez and his crew.

And they didn`t throw anything at anyone either.

I beg to differ, I thought that MGP worked tirelessly in ensuring that Gray was never in any trouble, certainly in the first half when the play on the left was just in front of me. All of our back four were excellent once Nelsen got over his nervous spell at the beginning of the game.

362274[/snapback]

MGP was poor but personally I'm putting that more down to Danny Mills being a damned difficult full back to play against rather than MGP's lack of desire. Many people dismiss Mills but imo he could come to Ewood anytime. Also MGP had 2 very draining games in the last fortnight so maybe appearing jaded had much to do with that.

MGP was poor but personally I'm putting that more down to Danny Mills being a damned difficult full back to play against rather than MGP's lack of desire.  Many people dismiss Mills but imo he could come to Ewood anytime.  Also MGP had 2 very draining games in the last fortnight so maybe appearing jaded had much to do with that.

362289[/snapback]

Good point on Mills. I've always rated him, basically on the strength that he used to keep Duffer quiet more often than he didn't. Not many fullbacks I can say that about. Gary Neville was another.

As has been said by many on here, MGP's all-round game is not that of a top Premiership player. Fortunately for us, he has an extraordinary goalscoring ability and, like Jansen, is better in the air than he looks. This is why he remains a very important player for us. We have to forgive his inconsistancy and drifting out of games because without him we would score far fewer goals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.