BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Roy Keane

natbags

I cant see why anyone would want Keane. Disruptive, a minimum of 50k a week (90k if he gets his way) and, I can guarantee you, he will only play half your games.

And he is not even that good anymore and will get worse (and more injury prone) as the years pass by.

Edited by joey_big_nose

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Celtic's current holding midfielder (the job Keane would do) is Neil Lennon. The attacking midfielder (not Keane in a million years) is Stan Petrov who's in the middle of negotiating a new contract but has said repeatedly he wants to stay there- and who is actually better on the right side of midfield.

Midfield has been a weak are for as long as I remember (always been short 1 excellent central midfielder), so the answer is no.

Yes, but at least Celtic had a good excuse. It was in July, there were 7 new players and a new manager in the team, and they'd barely met by the time the qualifying rounds came along.

They'd destroy Artmedia now. UNfortunately they don't have the chance.

22 days (and that includes weekends). They didn't gel until September since when they've been pretty good. Remember the previous group of players had been together for the best part of 5 years with little change.

Yes, but at least Celtic had a good excuse.  It was in July, there were 7 new players and a new manager in the team, and they'd barely met by the time the qualifying rounds came along.

They'd destroy Artmedia now.  UNfortunately they don't have the chance.

367154[/snapback]

Artmedia won 5-0. There isn't really a "good excuse" for that kind of performance. You are also being a little unfair on the Slovaks. They were also a little unlucky not to win through to the knockout stages like Rangers. They were only 'murdered' in one of their games, 4-0 at Internazionale.

Maybe Celtic could play 3 central midfielders as in a 4-5-1 or 3-5-2 formation. Regarding Petrov saying he wants to stay at Celtic...with footballers it is best to wait until they sign. It may be that he will wait and see if there are any tasty offers in the transfer window before putting pen to paper.

It remains to be seen whether the gulf between the EPL and SPL is big enough for a player who hadn't played a decent game for the Mancs for the past 18 months can be a superstar north of the border.

With regards to Petrov, the Keane signing probably makes his exit more likely.

Desmond has dipped into his own pocket to pay £40K per week for Keane.

Celtic's upper wage limit before Keane was something under £20K per week.

The average wage of Premiership first team squads (that's all 25 of them at all 20 clubs) is £17K a week.

The odds are pretty heavy that Petrov would get £30K a week at Rovers and £50K a week at Newcastle.

So is Mr Desmond going to dip into his pocket for Stan having set a precedent and then the next one... until Celtic have doubled their wage bill?

Putting the finances of the EPL and SPL into context, the bottom two clubs will collect as much cash from Sky this season as Setanta are paying to the whole of the SPL.

Edited by philipl

With regards to Petrov, the Keane signing probably makes his exit more likely.

The odds are pretty heavy that Petrov would get £30K a week at Rovers and £50K a week at Newcastle.

367263[/snapback]

does anyone know how much money petrov is on now?? i think the new deal celtic will offer him will be around the 15-20k mark p/w!!

Desmond has dipped into his own pocket to pay £40K per week for Keane.

Celtic's upper wage limit before Keane was something under £20K per week.

367263[/snapback]

I assume a deal must be in place to get Desmond his money back, and some, from shirt sales and sponsorship. Timed nicely before Christmas, roman catholics the world over will be buying Celtic shirts with "Keane" emblazoned on the back for their kids. All somewhat in conflict with the second commandment imo. Does anybody else find a huge irony in there somewhere?

Big exageration there.

It is an Irish/Scottish and Irish/Scottish ex-patriate thing. Catholics on the European mainland are totally unmoved by the Rangers/Celtic thing and try getting any interest in it in the Phillipines or Latin America!

If it were a worldwide phenomenon, do you think the SPL TV rights would only be worth £35m for the whole league? About the same as Real Madrid's income for three months.

Edited by philipl

Big exageration there.

It is an Irish/Scottish and Irish/Scottish ex-patriate thing. Catholics on the European mainland are totally unmoved by the Rangers/Celtic thing and try getting any interest in it in the Phillipines or Latin America!

If it were a worldwide phenomenon, do you think the SPL TV rights would only be worth £35m for the whole league? About the same as Real Madrid's income for three months.

367284[/snapback]

I take your point but I did read somewhere that celtic have the 4th (or 8th im not sure) highest worldwide support. And given the profit of shirts thats a lot of prospective income.

In the early 80's the £3000 per week that KK was paid to sign for the Mags by them and S&N was condemned as ridiculous but it proved a superb bit of business in increased gate receipts alone. Desmond is no fool.

Edited by Yorick

You cannot compare Bazza and Petrov. One is talented and has skills to die for, and the other is Barry Ferguson. One is already living thousands of miles from home and has assiliated. The other is a wee mammy's boy who couldn't live 300 miles away.

And as Radaghast has said, Keane is fitting in Celtic's current wage structure- no extra payments or anything.

Also, on my recent Far eastern tour- there were 5 British shirts on sale in all the markets. Arsenal, Chelsea, Red Scum, Liverpool and Celtic. Maybe not conclusive proof of drawing power, but at least some evidence

I agree that shirt sales will go a long way towards the Keane deal paying for itself....maybe not entirely, but a big chunk of it.

Alot of people around the world have Scottish/Irish links & they do tend to support one of the old firm.....or rather buy their merchandise. How many Celtic shirts do you see around Blackburn.....there`s a fair few of them.

Footballwise.....this move should give Keane the extra 18months in the game he wants. He was a great player in his prime (i hate to say), but his prime is way behind him now & isn`t as effective in the EPL as he used to be. If he can stay away from injuries, he`ll do well in the SPL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.