BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage Bad Press

Here you are all you 'experts'. I'm sure that the words of our manager will tick you off big time. Listen guys I hope that your Christmas prezzy hush puppies and trilby's fit OK but mind you dont choke on your turkey when you read this. tongue.gif

From the LET.

Double delight for Hughes

MARK Hughes reckons two of his biggest signings are finally starting to hit their best form.

Robbie Savage and Shefki Kuqi have come in for special praise from the Blackburn boss as he prepares his side for a second meeting with Middlesbrough in the space of five days.

The first one, Wednesday's Carling Cup quarter-final victory, was inspired largely by the barnstorming performance of Kuqi, who proved too awkward for Boro to handle and laid on the last minute winner for Paul Dickov.

And Hughes has emphasised how much the qualities of the Finn, who arrived from Ipswich Town in the summer, have improved Rovers as an attacking force.

"He gives us that physical presence that we didn't have last year," the manager said.

"That was the reason he was brought to the club and we are delighted for him.

"He has a real desire to succeed and his work ethic is fantastic."

The way Kuqi performed will have Hughes licking his lips at the prospect of inflicting more misery on Middlesbrough on Boxing Day.

The sides meet in the Premiership with Boro looking for a vast improvement on the cup tie, when they were second best to Rovers in all departments

Hughes added: "Shefki and Paul Dickov really worked their socks off and they were given great support from the rest of the team.

"But on occasions I thought Middlesborough found it very difficult to handle the pair of them."

Paul Dickov is suspended but Craig Bellamy is on stand-by.

Meanwhile, Savage struggled to get his game together in a Rover shirt when he first joined in January and had a miserable second half of last season.

But with a campaign so far uninterrupted by injuries, Hughes thinks the Welshman is now ready to revel in his role as the midfield general.

And this was evident at the Riverside, as Savage's never-say-die attitude epitomised the way Blackburn stuck to their task to secure a semi-final spot.

Hughes said: "Robbie was excellent. It was arguably one of his best games since he came to the club because of his energy and his willingness to get the job done, and the impact that he had on the game.

"Since he's been here he hasn't had as much impact as he has in previous games in his career but that shows the level he needs to be at and hopefully he will continue in that vein."

Merry Christmas laugh.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you are all you 'experts'.  I'm sure that the words of our manager will tick you off big time.  Listen guys I hope that your Christmas prezzy hush puppies and trilby's fit OK but mind you dont choke on your turkey when you read this.  tongue.gif

From the LET.

Double delight for Hughes

MARK Hughes reckons two of his biggest signings are finally starting to hit their best form.

Robbie Savage and Shefki Kuqi have come in for special praise from the Blackburn boss as he prepares his side for a second meeting with Middlesbrough in the space of five days.

The first one, Wednesday's Carling Cup quarter-final victory, was inspired largely by the barnstorming performance of Kuqi, who proved too awkward for Boro to handle and laid on the last minute winner for Paul Dickov.

And Hughes has emphasised how much the qualities of the Finn, who arrived from Ipswich Town in the summer, have improved Rovers as an attacking force.

"He gives us that physical presence that we didn't have last year," the manager said.

"That was the reason he was brought to the club and we are delighted for him.

"He has a real desire to succeed and his work ethic is fantastic."

The way Kuqi performed will have Hughes licking his lips at the prospect of inflicting more misery on Middlesbrough on Boxing Day.

The sides meet in the Premiership with Boro looking for a vast improvement on the cup tie, when they were second best to Rovers in all departments

Hughes added: "Shefki and Paul Dickov really worked their socks off and they were given great support from the rest of the team.

"But on occasions I thought Middlesborough found it very difficult to handle the pair of them."

Paul Dickov is suspended but Craig Bellamy is on stand-by.

Meanwhile, Savage struggled to get his game together in a Rover shirt when he first joined in January and had a miserable second half of last season.

But with a campaign so far uninterrupted by injuries, Hughes thinks the Welshman is now ready to revel in his role as the midfield general.

And this was evident at the Riverside, as Savage's never-say-die attitude epitomised the way Blackburn stuck to their task to secure a semi-final spot.

Hughes said: "Robbie was excellent. It was arguably one of his best games since he came to the club because of his energy and his willingness to get the job done, and the impact that he had on the game.

"Since he's been here he hasn't had as much impact as he has in previous games in his career but that shows the level he needs to be at and hopefully he will continue in that vein."

Merry Christmas laugh.gif

368893[/snapback]

"So, Savage has been playing crap, I dropped him and he had a good game, so now I will start praising him"

Let's just say the Boro Radio commentary were saying the five man Boro midfield had no answer to Savage and Tugay. By all accounts Emo had the the Boro right side in his pocket all game, Thommo was utterly anonymous so by my reckoning Sav and Toogs not only neutralised four players (including Mendietta) between them but increasingly gave Rovers the platform from which they controlled and won the game.

Definitely sub-par if you are using a golfing analogy!

Edited by philipl

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately though, AinUK, noone who has seen the TV pics will care what Savage has said in the press since Wednesday.  Those pictures stick in the mind.

His reactions on the pitch at the Riverside were almost a carbon copy of his reactions on the pitch at Highbury.  So the pictures stick in the mind even more, because we see it from him too often.

Rovers have been portrayed very badly in recent times by a highly biased press.  Savage is simply giving them more bullets to shoot us with - and he really doesn't need to do that.

He's (finally) beginning to show what a valuable player he can be in the centre of midfield, but he's spoiling it by play acting - it's just wrong.  It's cheating.

When we see that sort of thing against us - or as neutrals - we deplore it.  Savage is adding to the bad press which means that we're now seen as a team for neutrals to hate rather than a team for neutrals to get behind.

368761[/snapback]

Another high profile TV game, another cringeworthy spell of acting from Savage.

Don't get me wrong - his game is getting better and better - he is a properly useful midfielder for us. Also, in this incident, he was the victim not the culprit, and Smith should probably have walked. As philipl has pointed out, Sav's own reaction probably ensured it was yellows all round.

What he didn't need to do was remain grounded for 4 minutes trying to pretend he'd taken a blow to the face, when he himself had raised his hands to Rooney in the form of a one handed strangle.

His profile means that the pundits and the public zoom right in on his behaviour, and as I keep saying, it is harming the image of our club.

While it makes one cringe to watch his antics, I'm not sure too much of it rubs off onto us since he's always done it ever since that infamous dive for Leicester at Wembley. I think the mud sticks to him rather than us.

I was more concerned at his going completely AWOl in the 2nd half. He hid.

I'm in two minds really, I thought he played well and Tugay was more to blame for the loss of control in the 2nd half, however I despise his antics on the floor. I would love it if he didn't do the play acting thing because it is truly an embarrasment. He deserved a booking for that alone for me. Have to agree with EiT though in that he has become such a pantomime figure that I don't think it really reflects on us too much.

I was more concerned at his going completely AWOl in the 2nd half. He hid.

373667[/snapback]

Rubbish EiT. the old RFW sussed us at half time and MU really came out of the traps well in the second half. They squeezed the pitch and closed Tugay down completely (as every team that plays against us should do). In the face of such a pressing game the defensive capabilities of Tugay, Bentley and to a lesser extent MGP who doubled up on Ronaldo time and again were found seriously wanting, which is nothing that we dont already know. Savage was getting swamped which makes Hughesy's late substitutions mystifying. Once Reid and Emerton came on our midfield stiffened up completely and the balance of play became much less one way traffic.

Nice to see your mug all over Sky again Manchester Blue. Every time they replayed Sparky celebrating you were there.... I hope you've got the royalties  sorted.

373700[/snapback]

Not sorted the royalties just yet but just the pleasure of knowing i'm enhancing your viewing gives me a warm feeling inside. biggrin.gif

What he didn't need to do was remain grounded for 4 minutes trying to pretend he'd taken a blow to the face, when he himself had raised his hands to Rooney in the form of a one handed strangle.

373665[/snapback]

The way I saw it he DID take a swift shot to the head from Rooney. You all blow it out of proportion. Look at the reactionfrom Crouch and Gerrard when Bowyer put in a hard challenge. It was a nasty malicious challenge by Smith with only one intent. I bet many a player would have acted the same way.

Also Sav was trying to let Rooney go but them ears of Waynes somehow wedged under Sav's armpit biggrin.gif

The way I saw it he DID take a swift shot to the head from Rooney.  You all blow it out of proportion.  Look at the reactionfrom Crouch and Gerrard when Bowyer put in a hard challenge.  It was a nasty malicious challenge by Smith with only one intent.  I bet many a player would have acted the same way.

Also Sav was trying to let Rooney go but them ears of Waynes somehow wedged under Sav's armpit biggrin.gif

373856[/snapback]

Sorry USA but I'm with the chimps. Seen that replay a few times now and I can't see any contact whatsoever. He was trying to avoid a card for the wrestling match with Rooney.

Our so called hard man acts like a poof sometimes.

I just can`t take the Savage hard man seriously. Especially when he keeps doing things like that

If you wany hard, Todd is your man.

Gary Neville next to him in the tunnel trying to do the Roy Keane stare every game is getting more comical each time. I just wanted Todd to squash him there and then.

Sorry USA but I'm with the chimps. Seen that replay a few times now and I can't see any contact whatsoever. He was trying to avoid a card for the wrestling match with Rooney.

Our so called hard man acts like a poof sometimes.

373861[/snapback]

Here then, have a banana. You have to see it from the right angle and it is amost at the point in time both him and Savage go to ground, a swift left to the head.

Perhaps I imagined it, perhaps I should be on the nana's. I don't like Savage's antics either and I likely would not have him in a team of mine JUST cos of that, I'll stick up for him on this one though.

Rubbish EiT.  the old RFW sussed us at half time and MU really came out of the traps well in the second half.  They squeezed the pitch and closed Tugay down completely (as every team that plays against us should do).  In the face of such a pressing game the defensive capabilities of Tugay, Bentley and to a lesser extent MGP who doubled up on Ronaldo time and again were found seriously wanting, which is nothing that we dont already know.  Savage was getting swamped which makes Hughesy's late substitutions mystifying.  Once Reid and Emerton came on our midfield stiffened up completely and the balance of play became much less one way traffic.

373720[/snapback]

I don't disagree with your analysis but for me it doesn't explain why Savage, whose game revolves around chasing down the ball and giving players absolutely no time to dwell e.g. Liverpool away, failed to continue at least trying to do that in the 2nd half. Smith was strolling around like he owned the place.

I don't disagree with your analysis but for me it doesn't explain why Savage, whose game revolves around chasing down the ball and giving players absolutely no time to dwell e.g. Liverpool away, failed to continue at least trying to do that in the 2nd half. Smith was strolling around like he owned the place.

374288[/snapback]

I suspect because Utd "did" him with that tackle, got him booked and he just drifted out of the game - physcologically

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.