BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Savage Bad Press

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They certainly "did" Bentley and MGP got some treatment as well.

I am sure the hard physical stuff handed out late in the first half contributed to the Mancs getting the upper hand in the second half.

374324[/snapback]

It's a good tactic when all else fails. In fact every top team that I can recall could dish it out when necessary. In fact I once saw W germany do it to Mexico in the WC finals in 98. They were 1-0 down, middle of the second half and going absolutely nowhere when they suddenly started kicking seven bells out of Mexico for about 5-10 mins. They picked up 3/4 bookings but Mexico capitulated like a set of poofs and were well beaten 2-1 at full time.

Smith was strolling around like he owned the place.

374288[/snapback]

Well he wouldn't have if Hughes had instructed Kuqi to 'do a Rooney' by dropping deep to harrass the midfield.........or if MH had sent Dickov on sooner with those instructions.

Savage may be improving but it doesn't stop him picking up stupid bookings and then being generally less effective for the rest of the match after. If there is any part of his game he needs to improve it is that. Being irritating to the other team is good but being too irritating to the ref will only result in a yellow card.

Savage may be improving but it doesn't stop him picking up stupid bookings and then being generally less effective for the rest of the match after. If there is any part of his game he needs to improve it is that. Being irritating to the other team is good but being too irritating to the ref will only result in a yellow card.

374384[/snapback]

I think that describes more accurately Bellamy's needless booking on Wed rather than Savs.

Edited by thenodrog

Stelios stirs it for Savage. Perhaps not the wisest interview to give to The Sun ahead of today's match?

374404[/snapback]

from that article........“He is a professional and he does the same job that we do, so why do that? Patrick Vieira stops players as well, just not in the same way as Savage."

No true Vierra (great player that he is) collects red cards at about the same rate as Sav collects yellows.

I think that describes more accurately Bellamy's needless booking on Wed rather than Savs.

374406[/snapback]

True but I was thinking more generally. If I recall correctly I think he has received nine yellow cards so far this season. That kind of rate is going to go hurt us by suspensions and more immediately by Savage having to be careful about his conduct in the rest of the match. Bookings are part of his game but some of them are needless and just silly.

I think if he had fewer yellow cards and more red cards to his name, he would have more impact on more games. Too many of his yellows are for arsing around, as opposed to crunching tackles, and the fact he has no reds to me demonstrates he dials back his game (and the arsing) to stay on the pitch. A player who tackles as much as he does should be in the Keane/Viera bracket for reds.

I'd rather he got sent off twice a year for a second cruncher than went missing fifteen times a year trying to avoid a red.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame a big club like Manure had to resort to bully boy tactics on Sav last night. How many games on the bounce now has Savage left the field black and blue. Fair play to the lad he keeps on going with barely a bad word but how daft are these teams managers. He's not exactly our playmaker now is he. We are very lucky that these idiots don't bother scouting us and seeing that Savage is our foil allowing the rest of the team to play football. laugh.gif

Savage has spent 10 years ensuring that refs will never give him anything.

The thing I realized in the 2 semis is that, while Savage makes a lot of tackles, gets booked a lot and irritates the opposition, he isn't a hard player. Smith, RVN and Ferdinand all took liberties with him because they knew they could without fear of a leg-breaker sometime in the future. He's plenty of bark and not much bite.

Personally I wish it was the other way around. Come back Killer Keeley and Jim Branagan

• Backroom
Comments are wanted - go lads and lasses!

378752[/snapback]

No help needed from us RM... At the moment the concensus of opinion seems to be Gary Neville is the most hated player in the prem biggrin.gif

So how can he be so unpopular elsewhere? He sat in his black Lamborghini yesterday, fuming at a hapless tradesman who had pinched his name-plated parking spot at Rovers' training ground.

"Hey," barked the blond mop. "Is your name Robbie Savage?" No chance, Robbie. There's only one.

I was driving behind Robbie on the way into the training ground yesterday, that was quite a funny incident.

Don't know if anyone has posted this, but an interesting take on Savage in today's times...

Robbies little linky

rolleyes.gif

378766[/snapback]

I saw that too Laurence. Interesting read. Is this a sign of the media slowly moving away from our bullies tag? Should the journo be corrected on the colour of Savage's Lamborghini. Or maybe the yellow one is just used as a little runaround.

Don't know about anyone else but I have been extremely impressed by the way Savage has conducted himself on the pitch over the last few games. Not to mention his heart and soul performance last night, I thought there was two of him on the pitch.

Don't know about anyone else but I have been extremely impressed by the way Savage has conducted himself on the pitch over the last few games.  Not to mention his heart and soul performance last night, I thought there was two of him on the pitch.

381198[/snapback]

well good point usablue mate!!!

no bookings lately either, has an engine like a ferrari!!! biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.