BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 3 West Ham 2

Well it does sound a little stupid but with amount of neutral support for todd's case (pundits and even some of the opposition fans thought it certainly wasn't a sending off) it seems bizarre we are not appealing it.

The only reason I can think of is that Hughes is not that worried about it, and when you drop your captain it can be useful to do it indirectly as it would otherwise seem like an undermining of authority.

Just a suggestion.

365239[/snapback]

Its very simple- if Todd deliberately handled the ball, it was a sending off offence. As someone else has pointed out, there is a camera angle which shows Todd flicked his hand towards the ball. You could argue that was the ultimate in cynical foul play as he tried to disguise his real intent and almost got away with it.

In an appeal to the FA, you have to show that the decision by the referee was wrong- not that there is a basis for doubt. The considerable basis of doubt is where the neutrals saying it was harsh are coming from- that is comforting but not going to get Todd off the red card.

The Rovers have a good track record in appeals (Todd when cited against van Persie, Zura's sending off) but twice this season have decided against challenging decisions against Todd- when he nutted Reid and now this hand ball.

With a hefty fine hanging over the club if we are in disciplinary trouble at the season end, it is very much in the interest of the club to challenge every red card but I guess Hughes has decided that he prefers to go to Soho Square with a reputation of doing so when he has strong cases and winning them rather than risk his track record when there is a camera shot which has caught Todd bang to rights.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In an appeal to the FA, you have to show that the decision by the referee was wrong

365289[/snapback]

The annoyance is that the referee never saw it, the handball although intentional was minimal and there should have been some benefit of doubt given as in most other cases. Beattie would still have had a hell of a lot to do to score from there. Was Heskeys attempt last night at conning for the goal not far worse? Yet he simply got a yellow.

Remember this is not a court of law with definite rights and wrongs, this is a spectator sport which was ruined to varying degrees for 22000 paying punters. Given the price of attending football matches in this country and even the cost of pay per view, widespread declining attendances sendings off are a marketing disaster and should be avoided at all costs.

Rovers 4 Wham 1

Kuqi (2), Nelsen (header) Sheringham (og)

Kuqi Bellamy

Reid Emerton

Savage Tugay

Gray Zurab Nelsen Neil

Friedel

Ticket number 4036 wins half time draw

Traditional swift half before the start of the game doesn't taste like alka seltzer for a change and half time pie served by troll wearing father christmas hat but with a smile for a change instead of a look designed to bring on indigestion.

Loud woman in family stand gets ejected for shouting B####cks! so loudly that several children faint from perforated eardrums (please please show her the door)..

C'mon YOO BLUUUUUUUUUEEEESSSS!!

We need a win to steady the ship so i'm going to go with a 3-2 victory, we will definatly not keep a clean sheet as we have not won for a while without conceding in the league if i am correct. Maybe we might break our duct of not winning after going behind on saturday, isn't it something ridiculous like 49 games.

Scorers

BRFC- Bellamy/MGP/Nelsen(That would be great if he got the winner)

WHFC-Zamora/Sherringham(Always scores against us at Ewood)

I haven't actually seen the hand ball, just the goals. I was under the impression from what everybody said that it was almost certainly not deliberate.

365292[/snapback]

You'd be right joey. But as several others have said, if we were to appeal I would guess the onus is on us to prove it wasn't deliberate (ie prove the ref's decision was wrong). Suppose it's a bit like a court case where guilt is assumed till innocence is proven. I had a nasty feeling that a straight red was a three match ban? So I suppose given it is only a one match ban, Jimmy Khizanishvili is waiting in the wings, the one match is against a team where Toddy was hardly outstanding earlier this season, and for the sake of future appeals and having a good track record on appeals, the club decided to save on the expense of an appeal.

Meanwhile, back on topic.......... is Sheringham (out last night for WHam) likely to be out for Sat?

This was the match where I should come on the spot Ewood Park. I was planning come to thursday and leave to sunday. But now I travel to Thailand tomorrow.

Maybe I come to Ewood Park in the spring, but not later than next autumn.

Sorry off-topic...

By the way, we win saturday 3-1. tinykit.gif

Bellamy, MGP, Zurab

13th August 2005

- Rovers recorded our highest ever premiership victory over West Ham, winning 7-1 on Sunday, 14 October, 2001.

365118[/snapback]

Highest win's been sorted, but that game was bloody brilliant - and Grabbi was superb, he set up the first three goals and got a yellow card for being punched in the chest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.