[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 3 West Ham 2

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tugay was awesome.

Sore throat, bye bye.

366241[/snapback]

His pass threaded between two West Ham players, with the ball at waist height, early in the build up to the third goal was sublime.

Awesome player indeed - and will be sorely missed and pretty much irreplaceable when he's gone.

Hardly surprising that our defending was awful, a complete new back 4 which have never played together.

As for dickov - he certainly earns his pay. His work ethic alone is fantastic plus the fact he seems to get goals. Of course though, some of the t*ts on here will never give him the credit he deserves.

Edited by John

well said John.

How underrated is Paul Dickov. He was one of the main reasons why we stayed up last season and has scored some vital goals for us this. He's also always got the bottle to take a pen for us and never gives up.

No he's not a natural goalscorer (although his second was a great finish), but he's also got decent skill with the ball which goes unnoticed a lot of the time.

All this for just 150k

1 PAUL DICKOV! THERES ONLY 1 PAUL DICKOV!

It was always going to be hard with a completely new central defencsive partnership against 2 big, strong and fast forwards. Lucas does not get the credit he deserves and neither does Mickey Gray - I thought he was excellent yesterday. Reid on the other hand was appalling. I still think our best central pairing is Nelson and Zurab. Bentley has some nice skills and touches but he looks a bit lightweight yet - needs to get on the steak and guinness! Tugay is just pure class - what on earth are we going to do when he retires? Maybe have that Israeli fella from the Hammers? And Shefki is well on his way to becoming a folk hero. I had a row with a Scouser at work about who I'd rather have in my side - Crouch or Kuqi. Amazingly he couldn't believe I'd pick Shefki. Just because you've paid 7 mill for someone doesn't mean they're good - who better to know that than a Rovers fan tongue.gif

I think Dickov and kuqi have both shown how good value for money purchases they were. Their work rate alone has been well worth the outlay and between them they have turned arouind some vital matches recently.

However, we cannot expect them to keep it up. Both are very useful coming off the bench and I hope they can keep up their form while Bellamy is out, but I do not think they are permanent solutions.

We still badly need a striker.

You're right about the unpredictability, Mr Simpson. I wouldn't be too suprised if we do something daft like lost at home to Sunderland (it's happened before) but win at somewhere we shouldn't like Spurs. We'd be a top 6 side if we were consistent, but where's the excitement in that wink.gif ?

In the same camp as mum on Neill - think he's doing well this year, and looked sharp, composed, and determined yesterday. Yep he didn't win as much in the air as the Admiral probably would have but for a full back thought he did a good job at CH yesterday.

Fair point about Kuqi and Dickov being value for money tcj. I think I said a while ago they're not worldbeaters but are good enough to keep us clear of relegation. Bellamy looks like making sure we'll be mid-table, if we were to get McCarthy in Jan (I can't see it) it should be worth another couple of places. I'd like to see Shefki get more starts cos he does add that physical side to our attack but maybe MH thinks along the same lines as Oz (or vice versa wink.gif ) and thinks he's worth more to us in small doses.

Onwards and upwards.

Edit - and a PS : well done to WH and that advertising board. WH perhaps realised with Dailly coming on that it was no good relying on defending, the only way they were going to get anything from the game was to attack. Made for a thoroughly exciting 2nd half. Anyone heard if there is any lasting damage to Gabbidon or the hoarding? Remember how Savage disappearing over a hoarding with the help of a WH player down at Upton Park caused much hilarity amongst 'ammers fans? What goes around comes around.

Edited by Neil Weaver

Good result for us when we needed it the most! Patched up and limping after the gift we gave to Everton and two KEY members of our squad out I figured we'd have struggled to win much less put up a 3 spot. But we squeaked through and we're back knocking on the Top 10's door. I wish Savage could have gotten at least one of the post clangers to go in, but I guess t was not to be. I'm glad that Big Brad didn't have a momentary lapse of reason like last weekend either. I love Big Brad, but oi vay that McFadden goal last week was atrocious. Forgive and forget.

While I am happy I also think that we had to have won this game whether we were banged up or not. West Ham is a club we should have beaten twice or at least gotten 4 points out of. We have to start beating up on the teams we are supposed to be beating up on like many of our opponents in the weeks to come. 12-15 points going into the New Year is indeed quite possible, but more so 12-15 points is quite necessary. If we cannot get these points out of the opponents we have in the stretch to come (injuries or no injuries, compressed schedule or not) then we are doomed to talk of relegation battles going into every season.

The good news is we have shown that we can not only beat the cellar dwellers, but also some in form top draw opponents as well. If we can add in a dash of consistency we should be alright, but until then, Rovers Nation will be bricking it like our sponsor was Acme.

On to Fulham and on to another 3 points!!! I hope our result is alot like our first meeting. I want a win and I want a McBride goal in their losing effort...4-1 would be nice, but I'm looking at more of a 2-1 affair (Dickov, Gamst, McBride in that order).

I'm with Savage but it looked like he should choose his words more carefully.  Brad needs to shout and become more dominating.  Sav clearly heard a shout and left the ball and Brad failed to collect.

366240[/snapback]

What? Savage was NOT in the right.

If you lunge at the ball like he did then you have to take charge of the situation and clear the ball, you can't make it look like you're putting in every effort to stretch for the ball then pull away at the last second. It's a basic rule of defending.

It also does depend on the call he got. I'm sorry, but if as a defender you go to lunge and then get a call from the keeper, you have to pull out. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know in this case, but if he's gone and then Friedel has called and he's stopped then that is fair. If he's gone after a call, or if there is no call, then it is his fault.

A good game that we win however a couple of points.

We were luck with the pen, his hands were down and the ball hit him so a luckly pen, do we will take each of every one of them.

As for sav and brad, if has a defender you go for a ball in the box then you go for it, even if the kepper shouts you clear your lines and talk about it later after the match.

The first half after watching it on match of the day we should of been two or three up, still three points will do nicely. rolleyes.gif

Edited by des

What?  Savage was NOT in the right.

If you lunge at the ball like he did then you have to take charge of the situation and clear the ball, you can't make it look like you're putting in every effort to stretch for the ball then pull away at the last second.  It's a basic rule of defending.

366292[/snapback]

Well Sav had every right to have a go at Brad. And letting in 9 goals in 4 games suggests why.

never rated players before but have to this time

Freidel-7

Reid-5

neill-7

Zurab-6

Gray-6

Emerton-6

Savage-8

Tugay-6

Pedersen-7

AXE-7

Bentley-6

Dickov-8

kuqi-7

Dailly 10 ******STAR MAN****************

Edited by chris

A good game that we win however a couple of points.

We were luck with the pen, his hands were down and the ball hit him so a luckly pen, do we will take each of every one of them.

As for sav and brad, if has a defender you go for a ball in the box then you go for it, even if the kepper shouts you clear your lines and talk about it later after the match.

The first half  after watching it on match of the day we should of been two or three up, still three points will do nicely. rolleyes.gif

366303[/snapback]

That is the poorest English I have ever come accross.

Yesterday certainly was a game of two halves.

I thought Dickov ran himself into the ground and thoroughly deserved a couple of goals.

Bentley is looking better and better. But needs to contribute week in week out for 90 mins.

However, I think the biggest pat on the back must go to Lucas Neill. Played out of position with a makeshift right back and you could argue the other centre back didn't turn up either and he coped admirably.

I have quietly thought to myself for a while he coud captain us one day and yesterday he confirmed what a good team player he is.

An entertaining afternoon indeed.

Lucas did a good job in the center but we missed his attacking runs I thought. Reid couldn't match his determination going forward. Brett Emerton should have a chat with Neill about how to go FORWARD, everytime he's on the ball he cuts inside and holds up play. Lucas keeps going, watch and learn Brett.

Its a bloody internet mb, who gives a flying f**k how good/bad someones spelling is, so long it can be understood. It flippin annoys me when people go on about that.

366354[/snapback]

best today...matey!!!! i biggrin.gif jeees peeeps should lighten up tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.