BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers 3 West Ham 2

Why is everyone slagging off Emerton again? He looked decent from the highlights and provided some telling crosses. He Cant try and go past another player every time he gets the ball!, If he did that it would most likely lead to the opposition snatching the ball away and counter attacking. Most of the time when he passes back or side ways its because 2 or 3 players are closing in on him, he isnt Ronaldinho people!.

Edited by todd_could_take_tyson

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I was probably the only person who felt the Todd handball decision was correct. I thought the sending off was harsh but it was a handball. How many on here think we should have had a penalty for this week's "handball?" If Todd's was accidental then so was this one - a very dodgy decision. I'n not complaining but it does back up my point that had the Todd decsion been an Everton player we would have been demanding at least a booking. Mind you we had a much clearer shout for a penalty in the first half.

366230[/snapback]

I'm not sure anyone was arguing that it was handball - the ball clearly strikes Todds arm and therefore prevents Beattie a run on goal - a free-kick was rightly awarded.

What most people, myself included, thought was that for it to warrant a red card the ref has to be 100% certain that it was intentional and after having seen numerous replays from all different angles and at all different speeds I can't honestly say whether it was intentional or not, so how the ref could be sure I don't know.

Under Mr Halseys rules Repka could have been sent off today. He jumped with his arms fully outstretched and the ball hit one of them. A clear penalty, but if it had not done so the ball would have travelled into the Wham 6-yard box where we had a couple of players waiting. A possible goal-scoring opportunity. I'm not saying he should have been sent off, or even booked, I do think it was a penalty though and I think Todd was very hard done to.

Anyone else felt Carroll would have been sent off for his lunge, if he played for us?

366162[/snapback]

Don't necessarily agree with the conspiracy theory, but do feel that Carroll was very lucky. Pedersen carried on after the whistle as he obviously hadn't heard it, however Carroll was able to see that the game had stopped and went out, IMO, to 'do' Morten. I sit in the DE and you could see Carroll getting more and more frustrated after we had gone 3-2 up at what he saw as our time-wasting. I believe that he went out to hurt Pedersen in that challenge as a kind of revenge for what he may have seen as more time-wasting.

emerton had another terrible game i thought,. he totally lacked confidence going forward and then buggered it up trying to go back on himself, i know every so often he shines in a game but he just isn't consistent enough. hughes should seriously be considering a replacement for him soon (ie january transfer window)

Why is everyone slagging off Emerton again? He looked decent from the highlights and provided some telling crosses. He Cant try and go past another player every time he gets the ball!, If he did that it would most likely lead to the opposition snatching the ball away and counter attacking.  Most of the time when he passes back or side ways its because 2 or 3 players are closing in on him, he isnt Ronaldinho people!.

366373[/snapback]

Hughes obviously thought he ws having a cracker as well..... ph34r.gif

Regarding Repka's 'handball, looking at the replay from behind him he was clearly pushing one of our players in the back (believe it was Bert) and then raised both his arms when the ball hit his left arm. Very clever and leading to people's doubts imo.

As for Carroll's attack on Morten, I said last week that I had noticed opposition players seem to have a bit of a vendetta on him, a kick here, a punch there, an elbow, even a head and they've mostly been getting away with it. Poor lad must be black and blue after a match!

Pardew is beginning to irritate me profusely and hopefully we won't see any more of the blighter this season thumbs-up.gif

Regarding  Repka's 'handball, looking at the replay from behind him he was clearly pushing one of our players in the back (believe it was Bert) and then raised both his arms when the ball hit his left arm.  Very clever and leading to people's doubts imo.

fairplay we have had a few pens this season, keep them rolling in!!

have to say i thought it was a pen, then if that decision was against us i may have a different opinion tongue.gif

As for Carroll's attack on Morten, I said last week that I had noticed opposition players seem to have a bit of a vendetta on him, a kick here, a punch there, an elbow, even a head and they've mostly been getting away with it.  Poor lad must be black and blue after a match!

carroll was wound up a treat, pedersen will hurt them more by playing footy!! let our bully boys sort em out!!

lehmann was a bit lucky aswell on his elbow on scott parker, he just jumped in to him, lost a tooth n all.

Pardew is beginning to irritate me profusely and hopefully we won't see any more of the blighter this season  thumbs-up.gif

366405[/snapback]

unless we have to go down south in the cup i hope not either the flash cottney #######

I saw the highlights of the game on Football First. Some our defending was dreadful and it was surprising, considering how well Zurab has done since he joined. I thought that our penalty was a bit soft and I would have been annoyed if one like that had been given against us. The second and third goals were great finishes, which was good to see, from players that I haven't rated.

Now seen the goals- Zurab and Reid were worse than pathetic on West Ham's second- that was attrocious.

But not as bad as West Ham's defending against Shefki. They should have formed a guard of honour- at least they would have conceded with dignity!

As for the penalty. What is the fuss about?- it's blatant.

A long throw in so what is this garbage about ball to hand? The ball was in trajectory for a very long time unlike Todd's decision last week. Repka first of all fouls Bentley by preventing Bentley from getting a jump for the ball then puts his arm out to wait forit to be hit. The Rovers crowd and the two players close by immediately appeal for the pen and it was a certain goal if Repka hadn't handled as the ball was going directly to Savage two yards from the goal.

The press coverage is full of sympathy for West Ham this morning. Absolute rubbish!

The press coverage is full of sympathy for West Ham this morning. Absolute rubbish!

366436[/snapback]

Was actually surprised by the positive spin on Rovers from the Sunday Express blink.gif Not seen this morning's papers etc yet, but as we were playing a London side, I can only imagine.

It was a definite penalty especially form were i was sat in the Riverside, the ball was going goalwards until it hit Repka's hand, another Rovers player i think it was Savage made a move for the ball - penalty no doubt about it.

I thought we had a shout for a couple more penalties that the ref didnt give so West Ham can count themselves fortunate it wasnt more.

Two games now we've comeback from being a goal or two down, which must give the team a lot of encouragement for future games aswell as giving the Rovers faithful plenty of hope - the players are giving their all which is what we all want to see and with a bit of luck they can go very far.

A very Northern mind with a very Southern interpretation.

Repka's handball. He's jumping with his arms pulled back as the ball hits him. It was obviously not deliberate, indeed it was obvious he was trying to make sure his arms were not raised in any way that could be construed as intentional hand ball. He didn't get booked for deliberate hand ball which is a bookable offence and the only reason to award a penalty for the ball hitting the hand. And yet Mike Riley booked nine players in that game, including later, Repka.

That example is supporting the hypothesis that referees are biased and potentially corrupt. Maddening, isn't it, that he never mentions all those other games where we get ripped off, nor bothered defending us when the referees had us marked down as a dirty team and acted accordingly?

Edited by James No. 7

Having blagged a free ticket I was dead chuffed to see my winning streak continue, the second half being the most entertaing I've seen for a while.

We took two complete novices to the game with us, hoping that they'd be converted to the Blackburn cause, and at half time I was so embarrassed that they'd witnessed such a shocking display, I was convinced they'd be put off rovers and football for life. The first half started well enough the first 5 minutes or so we showed some really nice passing football, but after which we fizzled out. Our defence was woeful and struggled to cope: Zurab looked the most uncomfortable I've seen him all season, Neill clearly isn't a cb and Reid had no positional sense whatsoever. Gray didn't exactly cover himself with glory either. The west ham goal capped off what was a pretty dismal display.

The second half however saw rovers true grit and determination, and dare I say attacking class show. The pen was a pen, albeit a soft one, but a foul is still a foul and if it's in the penalty area then the consequence is a penalty. Bit worried to see Dickov take it what with his record but he did the business. For the second Dickov showed a bit of class and why we persevere with him, with a great finish. Was rather chuffed to get involved in the darwin end celebrations too.

As for the second goal we let in what terrible marking, especially Gray and Zurab. Was not happy at all; a new left back and the return of one of our comanding centre backs is vastly needed.

I was a tad suprised when Emerton came off, his first half was absolutely shocking but he seemed to be getting into the game when he came off. However the sub was spot on, and Kuqi to me caused all sorts of problems even before he scored. As for his goal, it was a pretty decent finish, showing he has a bit more about him, and Dailly duely deserves the assist as he repaid a bit of his stupidly high transfer fee with his floundering about. On the subject of substituions I though Hughes got it spot on, the Axe adding steel when needed and Jansen doing the job of running down the clock.

It really could have finished 4-3 and probably should have. Still on balance rovers deserved the win. Savage's free kicks were very hit and miss, two excellent ones but a fair few which were absolute rubbish, more consistency is needed or give them to MGP. Bentley after an anonymous first half did well in the second, both as a link up striker and right midfielder, very encouraging. Brad seemed to command his area well, and made a good save, which from the darwin end I thought had gone in, late on.

All in all encouraging that we can score without Bellamy and our resiliance is still intact. However, we need to get the defence sorted out. Come back Nelsen and Todd.

As for the penalty. What is the fuss about?- it's blatant.

A long throw in so what is this garbage about ball to hand?

366436[/snapback]

Oh come on, if that had been given against us there would have been a barrage of the usual "everyone hates Rovers" messages/threads. It was a soft penalty, but we've had bad luck this season (Zura against Liverpool) so we deserved a break.

I'd certainly be annoyed if I was a West Ham fan though, and so would you. No-one would concede that as a stone-wall penalty had it been given against us.

Anyone else felt Carroll would have been sent off for his lunge, if he played for us?

I can remember this happening though it was a few years ago when I was back in college. I once saw on MOTD the whistle be blown for offside, then the last defender took out the striker who carried on running with the ball after the whistle for whatever reason. That player got sent off even though the whistle had gone before the foul because he was the last defender. Think it was Villa or Coventry playing though I can definately remember it happening. Carroll should have been sent off, as he did go out to injure Pederson. If he'd have punched him after the whistle had gone he'd have been off, not sure how much difference there is to how he took him out with absolutely no intent of going for the ball.

Well I am please that we have finally won from coming behind for the first time in years and also pleased that we got revenge on the hammers.

I was impressed with Brad and Savage, and Brad would have knocked him out no problem.

Savage is getting on my tits lately with his antics, but then it is Sav I suppose.

Nice to see Dickov getting some goals for us to.

My impression at the time was that Savage played them onside for their second goal as he appeared to be the deepest player back in our left back position.

I will never be a Dickov fan but I thought he played well on Saturday. In retrospect, the other thing I remember about his performance was his lack of moaning-maybe there is a link here.

Good job that second goal went in in hindsight. And a salutory lesson to all I hope.

Savage tried desperately to save it with his hand but failed. If he had succeeded in stopping the goal he would have been sent off and incurred a 3 match suspension, WHU would probably have scored the penalty and with 10 men we would not have scored the winner and quite possibly could have been beaten.

And our many detractors in the press and media would have had another mud slinging field day.

Good job that second goal went in in hindsight.  And a salutory lesson to all I hope.

Savage tried desperately to save it with his hand but failed.  If he had succeeded in stopping the goal he would have been sent off and incurred a 3 match suspension, WHU would probably have scored the penalty and with 10 men we would not have scored the winner and quite possibly could have been beaten. 

And our many detractors in the press and media would have had another mud slinging field day.

366805[/snapback]

One match suspension. ph34r.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.