BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Are You Involved In The World Cup?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True but I wouldn't like to be in this group.

GROUP C

Argentina

Ivory Coast

Serbia & Montenegro

Holland

366005[/snapback]

I know I'm biased but I feel that the U.S. group is also competing for that title.

Group E

Italy

Ghana

United States

Czech Republic

Three teams in the FIFA top 12 (though I know the rankings don't mean much), and three teams that legitimately should make the quarterfinals. Even the fourth team, Ghana, has a legitimate world class player in Michael Essien.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it--I'm very upset with the way FIFA has done this, i.e. organizing the groups by region instead of by strength. The U.S. was widely considered the best team amongst their group, and whatever group they wound up in would certainly be a good candidate for the infamous title "Group of Death." If we're honest, the U.S. had as good of a case as Mexico for a top seed, and although Czech Republic haven't performed as well as they might in past World Cups it's blatantly obvious that they're one of the top eight sides in the world.

Quite frankly I'm gutted, because I feel the World Cup for the U.S. is already over before it's began.

I know I'm biased but I feel that the U.S. group is also competing for that title.

Group E

Italy

Ghana

United States

Czech Republic

Three teams in the FIFA top 12 (though I know the rankings don't mean much), and three teams that legitimately should make the quarterfinals.  Even the fourth team, Ghana, has a legitimate world class player in Michael Essien.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it--I'm very upset with the way FIFA has done this, i.e. organizing the groups by region instead of by strength.  The U.S. was widely considered the best team amongst their group, and whatever group they wound up in would certainly be a good candidate for the infamous title "Group of Death."  If we're honest, the U.S. had as good of a case as Mexico for a top seed, and although Czech Republic haven't performed as well as they might in past World Cups it's blatantly obvious that they're one of the top eight sides in the world.

Quite frankly I'm gutted, because I feel the World Cup for the U.S. is already over before it's began.

366025[/snapback]

Philly, give it up, you're on about the U.S. nobody there gives a rats ass. It's a tough group but it will be even more remarkable when the USA get's thru, you watch, they'll do it.

Philly, give it up, you're on about the U.S. nobody there gives a rats ass.  It's a tough group but it will be even more remarkable when the USA get's thru, you watch, they'll do it.

366027[/snapback]

S'truth. Italy can be had. The problem is that the number two coming out of that group plays the likely winner of Brazil's group. So we had better take the group. There's just no way. hpwever, to sneak into the higher levels of the Cup. Gotta take 'em all on and win. Even the Germans admit we should have been the winners against them last go-round. So play them early or play them later...they've all got to be played.

My other national team is, of course, England (Lancashire ancestors).

AESF - The actions of FIFA will lead to a global event which can be viewed by the whole world with excitement. Even the countries who aren't there can dream about next time. It isn't about PC it's about being a REAL World Cup!!! This is a World Cup. Your version would just be the Champions League for national teams. Elitist, boring and aloof. It would turn off millions.

As for - "What is so terrible or shameful about having 3 European teams in one group?". Nothing at all...but it's just boring that's all. We already have that in the qualifiers for both the Euros and the World Cup as well the European Championship finals. You want that again??? Where is a sleepy smilie when I need one? I'd go to sleep if the World Cup was the same all over again. It isn't though, it is a special event. Partly because of the way it is organised and which you disagree with.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Is the World Cup about having the 32 best teams on show or is it about a politically correct "global" event where we have to ensure a sufficiently high "quota" of African and Asian teams?

366012[/snapback]

Bit of both...but thinking that wanting it to be a global World Cup (notice the word 'World' there, not 'Continental' or 'Provincial') means it is PC is just being silly. Playing the 'PC card' at every opportunity is like others playing the 'racist' card whenever someone mentions immigration. Just flash it out and pretend there is some sort of conspiracy.

Teams from all over the world is good for the World Cup.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Its a double edged sword.

Even if there were no quotas and only the "best" qualified, would it really have the feel of the "World Cup" if it consisted of, lets say for arguments sake, of 30 European teams and Brazil and Argentina?

I think the balance is almost right at the moment. Maybe 1 or 2 up or down from one or two places.

I thought that Australia's worst possible draw would be Brazil, Holland, Japan and Australia.

We will really struggle in that group. Last time we made it to the world cup we didn't score a goal. Let's try and improve on that benchmark.. and take it from there.

In the last world cup, only half of the teams in the QF and semis were from Europe.

This time Europe's representation is almost half of all teams in the Cup.

Maybe the rest of the world are not so bad after all? wink.gif

In fact if you make a list of the 32 strongest sides in the world right now, i doubt there would be more than 20 European teams in it.

Group E

Italy

Ghana

United States

Czech Republic

Three teams in the FIFA top 12 (though I know the rankings don't mean much), and three teams that legitimately should make the quarterfinals.  Even the fourth team, Ghana, has a legitimate world class player in Michael Essien.

I've said it before but I'll repeat it--I'm very upset with the way FIFA has done this, i.e. organizing the groups by region instead of by strength.  The U.S. was widely considered the best team amongst their group, and whatever group they wound up in would certainly be a good candidate for the infamous title "Group of Death."  If we're honest, the U.S. had as good of a case as Mexico for a top seed, and although Czech Republic haven't performed as well as they might in past World Cups it's blatantly obvious that they're one of the top eight sides in the world.

366025[/snapback]

Fair enough points Philly but you have to beat them sometime. If USA have a legit case to be ahead of Mexico as first seeds then progressing from that group is the ideal way to show it. The Czechs and the Ghanaians are beatable, and Italy are still a bit of an enigma. It's the group of death though certainly, I'll give you that.

As for England, they should be very happy with that one. All beatable (although Sweden are invincible against us) which is all you can ask for at this stage. Avoided some of the more traditionally powerful 2nd seeds.

And AESF, give it a rest. You're nearly as predictable as Vinjay. I like the world cup format because every region is represented and you get to know a bit more about those unknown entities. I'd personally have taken a team off Africa and given one more to South America but I don't want another European Championships because we get to watch one of those every four years as well.

No, it still has to be scheduled. It was agreed between both countries to play a friendly, unless both teams would have been in the same group.

Match will probably be played in Eindhoven (20 miles from here)

365999[/snapback]

From SBS website "The Socceroos have already lined up a game against coach Guus Hiddink's native country the Netherlands in Rotterdam on June 4"

I'm going to this for sure..

There is also mention further down of a freindly against England! biggrin.gif

"The Socceroos could play England in London in a friendly to help prepare for next year's World Cup in Germany.

Football Australia chief executive John O'Neill said he is negotiating with England officials about the match, which could be held at the new Wembley Stadium."

So our three friendlies (maybe) and first three games of the WC are...

South Korea (TBC) in Australia (was announced at least one in Oz)

England (TBC) in London

Holland - June 4th - Rotterdam

Japan - June 13th - Kaiserslautern (1st Game of WC)

Brazil - June 18th - Munich (2nd Game of WC)

Croatia - June 22nd - Stuttgart (3rd Game of WC)

Looks very good... Im hoping to see at least 4! cool.gifcool.gif

Edited by AussieinUk

Sorry I stuck this in a different post first, hope this is a better one!

predictions anyone? odds with an accululator bet on these results?

Group A

Germany 9pts

Pland 6pts

Costa Rica 3pts

Equador 0pts

Group B

England 9pts

Sweden 4pts

Paraguay 2pts

Trin' & Tob' 1pt

Group C

Arentina 7pts

Holland 7pts

Ivory Coast 3pts

S & M 0pts

Group D

Mexico 7pts

Portugal 6pts

Angola 3pts

Iran 1pt

Group E

Czech Republic 9pts

USA 4pts

Italy 4pts

Ghana 0pts

Group F

Brasil 9pts

Austraila 4pts

Japan 2pts

Croatia 2pts

Group G

France 7pts

South Korea 6pts

Switzaland 4pts

Togo 0pts

Group H

Spain 9pts

Tunisia 6pts

Ukraine 3pts

Suadi Arabia 0pts

last 16

Germany Vs Sweden 2-0

Argentina Vs Portugal 2-1

Czech Republic Vs Austrailia 1-0

France Vs Spain 1-2

England Vs Poland 2-0

Mexico Vs Holland 0-1

Tunisia Vs South Korea 0-2

Brasil Vs USA 2-0

Quarter Finals

Germany Vs Argentina 2-1

Czech Republic Vs Spain 0-1

England Vs Holland 1-1 (3-2 et)

South Korea Vs Brasil 2-0

Semi Finals

Germany Vs Spain 1-0

England Vs Brasil 2-2 (2-2 et Brasil win 4-3 on penalties)

3rd/4th place play off

England Vs Spain 2-1

Final

Gremany Vs Brasil 1-2

This post has been edited by Rovers Air Force: Today, 13:09

AESF - The actions of FIFA will lead to a global event which can be viewed by the whole world with excitement. Even the countries who aren't there can dream about next time. It isn't about PC it's about being a REAL World Cup!!! This is a World Cup. Your version would just be the Champions League for national teams. Elitist, boring and aloof. It would turn off millions.

366030[/snapback]

I'll have to go against my mate AESF on this one . The draw may well have been boring and longwinded but there can't be many who wouldn't prefer a group with representatives from all over the world in it . This represents a bit of variety and a true test against the differing "flavours" of footballing - who wouldn't prefer to watch Norway (for eg) v Togo rather than against Denmark ?

Yes , EUFA are being biased towards the emerging teams but in the interests of entertainment and the long term future of the game , in this case (only !) positive discrimination is acceptable ..... unsure.giftinykit.gif

RAF

germany are not that really too good a team I can see the Polish beating them making the Germany v England game the most important match int eh first knockout round.

My semi finalists

England

Brazil

Argentina

Spain

366161[/snapback]

Don't forget home team advantage!!! got South Korea a long way too!

Yes Germany have been a sack off sh1te for a while but they always bring out the goods in the world cup!

So our three friendlies (maybe) and first three games of the WC are...

South Korea (TBC) in Australia (was announced at least one in Oz)

England (TBC) in London

Holland - June 4th - Rotterdam

Japan - June 13th - Kaiserslautern (1st Game of WC)

Brazil - June 18th - Munich (2nd Game of WC)

Croatia - June 22nd - Stuttgart (3rd Game of WC)

Looks very good... Im hoping to see at least 4! cool.gif  cool.gif

366059[/snapback]

I don't think South Korea will go to Australia. The team has a 6 week tour in Jan and Feb planned for training camps and tournaments in UAE, Saudi, Hong Kong and the USA. The clubs are not happy about it and want it reduced. Can't see them going to Australia as well.

I'd personally have taken a team off Africa and given one more to South America but I don't want another European Championships because we get to watch one of those every four years as well.

366054[/snapback]

With Australia moving to Asia from Oceania next season, you'll essentially have one more South American team anyway at the expense of 'Oceania'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.