BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Are You Involved In The World Cup?

Agree with you on everything but the strength of the England team compared to 1990. I don'y think we would be able to beat this England side even with Mattaus, Voller and Klinnsmann a la 1990. Barnes was awful for England and i don't remember Waddle being much cop either. England have a chance providing they don't rely on Beckham.

I am very scared  that the swedes will beat the English, the English heavily underestimte Scandinavians - that would leave us with the liklihood of a DE/ENG tie in the last 16 yes? Dont see us getting through that even if we had the whole of Germany in the ground.

366684[/snapback]

It just occured to me that the current England defence is also much better than the 1990 one. Two out of Rio, Sol and Terry (although as Ferdinand has been terrible recently it has to be Campbell and that @#/? Terry), with Neville and Cole as the full backs.

The 1990 lineup was Butcher, Walker, Pierce, Parker. Not bad, Pierce particularly was a quality player, but I would take the current lot to be honest.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the hysteria that is displayed on these pages every other year carries not a hint of any of those things?

I prefer to say nothing when/if England go out.

366809[/snapback]

Are you tryind to tar all with the same brush Matt? There may be some on here that go over the top but most are quite grounded I think. Yet other national supporters term all England fans as way too demanding. Some are definitely but this time we have as good a chance as any* IF things go our way/the team gels etc etc. Don't think that is 'hysteria' and I'd suggest that is the view of most of the reasoned posters on here.

*Apart from Brazil of course. Can't remember a major tournament were one team has seemed to be such heavy favourites before.

joey big nose - Regarding the 1990 defence. Des Walker really was excellent at that time, just about the fastest thing on two legs! It wasn't until a few years later when he left for Italy that his career seemed to go into a bit of a decline. The goalkeeper hasn't been mentioned but even at that stage of his career Peter Shilton was head and shoulders in quality above anyone we may field between the sticks.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

• 3 weeks later...
Too bad they got Japan and Brazil and Croatia all against them.

369741[/snapback]

I have Australia as the only non-traditional World Cup nation to survive the Group stage.

Croatia are very poor from what I've seen of them and I would guess that Japan and Australia are about the same level but the Aussies will make physical strength tell.

It is possible one of the other two will get lucky against Brasil and nick a point changing the second place qualification if its tight but the Aussies should be very disappointed with themselves if they don't make the last sixteen.

I have Australia as the only non-traditional World Cup nation to survive the Group stage.

Croatia are very poor from what I've seen of them and I would guess that Japan and Australia are about the same level but the Aussies will make physical strength tell.

It is possible one of the other two will get lucky against Brasil and nick a point changing the second place qualification if its tight but the Aussies should be very disappointed with themselves if they don't make the last sixteen.

369750[/snapback]

You have more optimism than I. You know Viduka is going to have a stinker against Crotia. After all, it was touch and go weather he would play for their national team many years back. He seemingly wanted to. Not saying it will be deliberate, but he's going to be a easy target for sledging during that game should he play.

I don't think Australia will go through. I am going to keep my feet firmly on the ground, and be happy that they are in the finals after nearly 40 years.

369750[/snapback]

I hope you're right as I'll be here in German soaking up the atmosphere outside the ground after the FFA stuffed up the allocating the tickets. mad.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.