BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers So Called Club Shop. Problems Anyone?

It will happen sooner or later, PB. Enough is enough; no reason why a fan or group of fans shouldn't take the initiative and start producing some Rovers stuff to sell. You might even get some local shops to take some of the goods.

I was in ASDA at Middlebrook recently, they've a whole section full of Wanderer's stuff.

Copyright violations?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which of these would constitute a copyright violation if i were to set up a shop:

The use of the club crest

The use of 'arte et labore'

The use of blue and white halved

The use of player names

The use of chants

The use of the word 'rover'

A picture drawn of any part of the ground or players

A photograph of any part of the ground or players

A model of the ground

Anything I may have forgotten....

Which of these would constitute a copyright violation if i were to set up a shop:

The use of player names

The use of chants

A model of the ground

Club crest would almost certainly be.

'arte et labore' is in the context of a football item, though I imagine you could set up 'Arte et labore painters' with no problem

Blue & white halved - don't know. A color itself (in the US at least) can be copyrighted, but you can't stop someone from painting their house burnt orange and white (common here in University of Texas country). I would say you could likely not duplicate club items, but I don't know that making, say, a blue and white halved dress shirt would constitute a violation

Player names - I don't know what the situation is with that in the UK. In the US player names are licensed by the players' union for the individual sport, and you have to have an agreement with the union to use names on merchandise.

Chants - Depends. Chelsea's "Blue Is The Color" was released on LP in the 70s with the players singing it. That's a fairly clear copyright. I don't know that any of our chants ever hit that level of entrenched copyright.

Rover - I doubt it.

Drawing of players - see above

Drawing/model of ground - probably, but I don't know UK copyright law that well

The use of player names

The use of chants

A model of the ground

only the Crest, I checked it with a good lawyer when she came home tonight. ;)

Just been to Ossy Mills. The little Accy Stanley booth they have is great, but got me thinking of our own shop.

While the booth sells all kinds of Stanley related bits and pieces, as well as FM2007 for just £20, ours is really just another sports store.

I miss the tacky old stuff (Rovers badge on anything saleable). I never feel enthused by anything I see in the shop these days.

Barbara and Co used to sell more prized, collectable stuff from the ticket office in the Nuttall Street Stand!

:brfc:B)

does anyone out there fancy a punt with a business enterprise selling Rovers goodies?

we can donate a share (5%?) of the profits to brfcs and sell carstickers, mini kits, badges 70's retro "silk" scarfes, and even bob hats for the old un's like Den.

Edited by preston blue

does anyone out there fancy a punt with a business enterprise selling Rovers goodies?

we can donate a share (5%?) of the profits to brfcs and sell carstickers, mini kits, badges 70's retro "silk" scarfes, and even bob hats for the old un's like Den.

Internet or high street PB?

:brfc:B)

Preston Blue, that is where my post was leading. I am going to do a little research over the next few weeks - sourcing, and things. Sick of the club shop being crap, and I intend to do something about it...

PS - cheers for the legal advice drift, pb and mcmc!

Edited by Wolverine

• 2 weeks later...

I went in to buy some Christmas presents and was astonished at how cheap and nasty it was. It's as though the Rovers gear is an afterthought and the quality of the rest of the merchandise is reminiscent of Oobidoo.

Why are the club paying two executives obscenely high wages when most business activities are farmed out...........and even when that's done the result is so embarrassing? Needless to say I purchased nothing.

Edited by Wiggy

I went online earlier this month to get my parents christmas presents. What a load of crap available. :angry: Living in Spain it's easier to order stuff online for my parents than send stuff from over here. I ended up going onto Amazon and getting them dvd's rather than stuff from the club shop. I am back in the uk for the Arsenal game (at home) and whereas I used to look forward to spending my hard earned euros in there I hate going in now. It's like visiting a Primark store. Cheap goods usually all over the floor :angry::angry:

Well that just sucks a fat one. I am planing on taking a trip to England all the way from the USA just to see the rovers in action and was planing on asking on staying out there for at least 2 weeks and planing on spending quite a bit of money on Rovers merchandise well ok lets be honest a LOT of money, and now that i here this it bums me right the F out. I have seen other club shops on the channel and i see the kinda of things they have at the grounds like there teams home jeresys and kits geting players numbers put on them and the array of home team merchandise seems out of this world. Well i hope that this is problum is taken care of when i go to see them because i would hate to go to see the mighty Rovers kick ass and them come home with not a Rover badge or nic-nac to show for it. :brfc:

The most dangerous thing about this is the perception fans can receive.

It seems as if the club can't be bothered anymore. It's too much hassle running a club shop and they won't make as much money. There is damage to the image of Rovers being a well-run club when the 'club shop'* seems so poor. This Sports Soccer is giving out a negative image of the club and it seems that Rovers can't do anything to improve the situation.

* - Now, because the store is in front of the Blackburn End, on Rovers grounds and the club has spent years building up the location as a retail outlet...it remains the club shop. Nothing to do with Rovers? Wrong...they are making money from it still aren't they? Not having scarves or hats is just pathetic...what are this Sport World lot playing at?

I can provide the website space for sales.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.