BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fill The Mead Cup, Drain The Barrel

My attempt to hijack the mundane soft drinks thread failed...there hasn't been enough discussion on here about proper drink, especially with the festive season upon us...

A few question/observations...

The Thwaites draught bitter (not the Smooth or Bomber) in the West View on Revidge is on excellent form (for any potential Rev runners) ...

Where can you find out what particular pubs opening hours are?

Which regular Blackburn pub serves the latest (ie into the small hours) or earliest (how close are we to being able to sup around the clock?)

Returning victorious from last night's Boro game, I was really tempted to seek out draught ale but wasn't sure what options were available...

Why do people choose smooth, cream-flow, cold keg and wee lager over real ale (I'm not a Camra beardie, I just can't understand it, although limited consumer options and marketing has got to be a factor )

Why did Blackburn council (in conjunction with Thwaites) never market itself and its pubs as Beer Town? With Matthew Brown / Lion , Duttons / Whitbread and Thwaites and newcomers like 3Bs and BBC it would have been better than going for William Woodruff or Jessica Lofthouse country (actually, they haven't really capitalised on associated famous authors either).

Fell free to post your drink related Q / A s here thumbs-up.gif

Good thread ; I occasionally go up for a walk round the Revidge pubs . Not impressed with the Dog - it's one of those ever increasing number of pubs who only give a toss about "smooth" beer - low maintenance I suspect . Don't think they even have mild .West View is ok as is the Quarrymans (I refuse to use its new name ) . Gibralter has the real stuff but it's not looked after IMO . Same goes for the Alex .

As for non smooth ale - particularly mild - it's hard work getting pubs who know how to look after the lovely stuff and at what temperature to serve it . Even the pubs who brag about their real ale don't look after it . It doesn't help that the turnover isn't great , though ; ale needs to be kept flowing through the pipes .

Personally I hate the breweries - they should never be allowed to own both the premises and the product they sell to their houses ; it takes the pi££ out of those landlords who actually take a pride in their ale by forcing them to concentrate on the profit line determined by the owners , ie , rubbish fizzy lager and blue wkd type drinks that are an insult to our heritage . I won't even comment on the town centre.... sad.gif

Talking about heritage could get me into trouble . What is happening in Blackburn is nothing more than the systematic destruction of a way of life . Pubs are central to our culture , as the churches used to be - but they seem to be closing on a weekly basis . Not much for anyone to market or capitalise on I'm afraid , the council have other priorities - enough to drive one to drink..... unsure.gif

The West View and Gib both serve cracking pints of cask bitter. Good pubs too. In the town centre I'm very impressed by the cask bitter and mild in St. John's Tavern. Sadly there's only about half a dozen pubs in the town centre where you can get a pint of real ale - scandalous!

Neekoy, Begone, get behind me satan.

Watney's Red Barrel, starts stalled engines, cleans boat bilges, opens blocked sewers.

My Christmas tipple this year is James Squire's Pilsener (an exquisite drop), with the odd Corona. For those down under that haven't tried it, get your hands on Cooper's Vintage, strong strong ale, it keeps for years and will set you back about $90.00 per slab.

The last pub I went into before leaving for these sunny shores, was the Corporation (my last pub crawl in Blackburn), Is it still there? Used to enjoy the Royal Oak at Riley Green(?) and a pub on the road out of Blackburn past Queens Park Hospital.

Check these out:

Top Lock (Wheelton)

The Taps (Lytham)

The Royal (Great Harwood) Red Rose Brewery

The Victoria (Great Harwood) particularly hard to find with an incredible interior

The Marble Arch (Manchester)

The Black Horse (Darwen)

You won't be disappointed. wink.gif

Edited by MCMC1875

Check these out:

Top Lock (Wheelton)

The Taps (Lytham)

The Royal (Great Harwood) Red Rose Brewery

The Victoria (Great Harwood) particularly hard to find with an incredible interior

The Marble Arch (Manchester)

The Black Horse (Darwen)

You won't be disappointed. wink.gif

368636[/snapback]

You can add The Knott Bar, just by Deansgate Locks to that list as well - it's owned by the Marble group and sells the same beers. Very close to the Metrolink as well, so it's a handy pub for Old Trafford football & cricket trips !

Edited by percy

As for non smooth ale - particularly mild - it's hard work getting pubs who know how to look after the lovely stuff and at what temperature to serve it . Even the pubs who brag about their real ale don't look after it . It doesn't help that the turnover isn't great , though ; ale needs to be kept flowing through the pipes .

368583[/snapback]

Too blooming right. There is nothing better than a decent pint of mild. It's getting hard to find.

Especially when the mega-keggaries are intent on selling something blue in a bottle

with a wedge of lime stuffed in the neck.

20 years ago The Buck Inn in Clitheroe used to sell a beautiful pint of Thwaites Best Mild.

It's a f*****g disco now.

There is nothing better than a decent pint of mild.  It's getting hard to find.

368782[/snapback]

Very true Colin. The Postal Order in Blackburn used to have it till a year or so ago, don't think they have any Thwaites' these days sad.gif . But on the plus side, they usually have Black Cat on, which is one of Moorhouse's better ales (even if it is from Burnley).

Try 'The Station Inn' Helmshore. It serves a beautiful pint and has many varities of bitters, lagers, stout, even mild. Also the Robin Hood also in Helmshore (feelin' a pub crawl on the way me thinks).

Edited by EIEIEIO

• 6 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.