BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds a fair idea IHB.  Suppose to some extent it'll depend on how often our and Stanley's games are on the same day, but maybe something along the lines of Stanley ST holders get a discount for Rovers tickets, or the opportunity to get in to a couple of Rovers games for free?  Might be worth BRISA suggesting something to the club?

380209[/snapback]

What a good idea - don't suppose anyone will take any ntice of it

• 4 weeks later...

rover.gif the reality off stanley coming in the football league is now upon us.can any stanlyites remenber who was at home on the saturday the same time as stanley,ROVERS or bumley.i have a nagging feeling it was bumley,aka the bob lord hatred,he refused to help stanley out because he thought the stanley fans would watch bumley.

the gates off both teams are bound to be affected,if only by 50/100 it still costs our club money My Webpage tinykit.gif

Come on Stanley!!!!

Them progressing from the Conference to League 2 will not affect our gates. No Rovers regular will ever stop going to Ewood because Stanley got promoted, only neutral fans might do that and I very much doubt that: why would a neutral fan want to see League 2 above Premiership?! And besides, how many neutral fans ever go to Ewood? None!

it would cost about £15 i reckon to watch them next year

and you can buy tickets for that price at ewood

i know which football id rather watch

and its not hoofball

386803[/snapback]

Good point. It's up to the Rovers to get that point across properly with their marketing.

Especially with the newly self styled "Accrington Stanley Evening Telegraph" promoting Stanley's cause. mad.gif

Much ado about nothing,their imminent promotion WILL NOT affect our gates to any vast extent.

Stanley managed a gate of 1,900 yesterday,wonder why it was down so much from the 3,000 midweek...................

Waggles,Rovers fans will not abandon Ewood for the interlink express stadium....get a grip fella!!

Burnley is another matter though!! laugh.gif

GOOD LUCK 'OWD REDS!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

My mums hubby is a dingle fan (yes i am embarrassed sad.gif ) but has actually started to watch Stanley on a regular basis. He`s from Accy originally but has supported the six-toes all his life. He`s started going on the Stanley with a couple of his mates this last year & says "anything is better than watching the crap served up ont turd" & "at least Stanley are showing some ambition".

I dearly want to take the p1ss out of him, but i have decided to actively encourage his support of Stanley.....in the hope Bumley lose him for good! cool.gif

I wonder if Stanley would do a Tranmere of old........& play their home games on a Friday night?

My mums hubby is a dingle fan (yes i am embarrassed  sad.gif ) but has actually started to watch Stanley on a regular basis. He`s from Accy originally but has supported the six-toes all his life. He`s started going on the Stanley with a couple of his mates this last year & says "anything is better than watching the crap served up ont turd" & "at least Stanley are showing some ambition".

I dearly want to take the p1ss out of him, but i have decided to actively encourage his support of Stanley.....in the hope Bumley lose him for good!  cool.gif

I wonder if Stanley would do a Tranmere of old........& play their home games on a Friday night?

387070[/snapback]

rover.gif there rest's my case stanleh will take support off both bumley and us,how many is the? tinykit.gif

I went to watch Stanley away twice last year, despite being a Darrener. Enjoyed both games.

My mate used to watch Rovers regularly in the 70s but then didn't watch footy at all other than a few non league games at Darwen & Stanley. At one of the above mentioned away games, there were me and my mate sat next to another ex Rovers fan and his mate who also turned out to be an ex Rovers supporter. So four of us in a line and three of us were ex Rovers fans.

Those who say we won't lose fans to Stanley are wrong, even though the numbers may be relatively small.

Is there any correlation between Stanley coming into the Conference and our falling gates? Obviously they wouldn't have taken that many fans off us but maybe a few hundred is possible. This is also at a time when Rovers need all the fans they can get. sad.gif

Improving TV revenue (not unreasonable to expect more of our games on TV next season if we finish in a good position as Sky name the games they will show for the first few months of a season before it even kicks off) and the place we finish (prize money) is all well and good but losing fans will partly cut into whatever cash we gain from a better placing.

Stanley coming up to the league, as seems inevitable, may see them tempting a few fans. Not loads but a few the club could still do with at Ewood. tinykit.gif

Since we play so few home games on a Saturday afternoon it probably won't make much difference. I may go down myself when Rovers don't have a game.

Rovers fans will NOT stop supporting Rovers just because a Stanley ticket is a few quid cheaper (particularly considering the difference in quality and entertainment). They may attend the odd match when Rovers aren't playing due to internationals and what not. It's like suggesting that we'll lose fans to Burnley if they ever win promotion! I beginning to have doubts about some of you lot but Rovers is in my blood, I love them and I would never stop supporting them, particular in favour of another club, even if Stanley were infact three leagues above us!

They're called "Dads", unless of course he isn't.

387074[/snapback]

SAR...Jeez you're bright.

Give this man a doctorate.

That`s why he`s so well respected on this board dry.gif

In the very early 60's when Stanley were still in the League, I used to go along to the old Peel Park ground and watch them if Rovers were away. There was never a full ground and the average I estimate at about 5000 to 7000 max. This was in the days when both Burnley and Rovers were doing well in the First Division and Stanley were doing well in the 3rd Div. In fact at the time both Rovers and Burnley played in front of average gates of about 30,000+. Even in the season before Stanley went broke they only just missed out on promotion to the 2nd Div, but in spite of this there was no noticeable effect on the gates at either Burnley or Rovers.

So in the light of all this I think some people are getting rather excited about nothing that matters, and I say "Good luck to Stanley; hope you get back to the League, and well done so far. Keep it up."

Edited by Fife Rover

Rovers fans will NOT stop supporting Rovers just because a Stanley ticket is a few quid cheaper (particularly considering the difference in quality and entertainment). They may attend the odd match when Rovers aren't playing due to internationals and what not. It's like suggesting that we'll lose fans to Burnley if they ever win promotion! I beginning to have doubts about some of you lot but Rovers is in my blood, I love them and I would never stop supporting them, particular in favour of another club, even if Stanley were infact three leagues above us!

387570[/snapback]

Personally I think this is being a bit naive. I no a few lads from ossy/accy area who are rovers fans at heart but refuse to pay £30 to get on ewood. (ie they are kind of fans who go on ewood a few games a season and big away games) Recently, with stanleys resergence, they have started watching their home town team more than rovers. They may never stop supporting rovers but could potentially choose to go and watch stanley instead.

In same respects what if darwen ever became a pro club again (never gonna happen!). I reckon many darwen folk would stop watching rovers because ultimately darwen is their home town team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.