BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also notice that Stanley have decided to ban drums from next season.  I hope other clubs follow thier lead rover.gif

405249[/snapback]

Thats to stop the hill trolls from the east heeding their call and swamping the general public

Woops!

Anyway, Oxford has now replaced St Helen's as the largest town/city in europe without a league football team and I think Accy have just become the smallest English town (ignoring Berwick-upon-Tweed) with a football league team.

I have to say seeing Accy come back and Oxford go out is utterly surreal.

I have to say seeing Accy come back and Oxford go out is utterly surreal.

405558[/snapback]

Perhaps one of my second teams Southport (I was born there) can do the same next season to repair the injustice when they failed to get re-election despite finishing fourth from bottom. Unfortunately the team that replaced them were Wigan so it could be a few years yet...

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Quality vid this, Eric Whalley is the Brian Potter of football. Great bloke.

And cracking third goal too.

To all those that doubted what I and others have been trying to get them to understand about the excitement, atmosphere and sheer feeling of belonging attached to lower league football:- Just watch this vid clip!!

That is absolutely typical of the feeling you get from watching any of the teams I mentioned earlier on the Rovers Sold thread earlier today. And I would go so far as to say it is absolutely typical of virtually any lower or non-league game.

Edited by Fife Rover

There is no doubt that League 2, Scottish Premier and Unibond level football is cracking good entertainment. As was watching Rovers in Div 2 and Div 3 of old (I rewatched that Chelsea v Rovers game from 76/7 posted on the Youtube thread which reminded me just what a good player Tony Parkes was).

However, Premiership football is astonishing for the speed and skill and even quite mundane EPL games have the capacity for leaving me sitting open mouthed at the levels of ball control that all the clubs except Watford have shown themselves capable of when building moves out of defence through midfield. It is a different world and as the viewing figures suggest, just about the best in the world.

I see some Bundesliga most weeks which is quite slow and lacking in physical pressure in comparisson with the EPL but the crowd atmosphere is much better most. Really bad Spanish and Italian games are off the scale for awfulness and there are quite a lot of them.

That coverage of Accy Stanley beating Macclesfield didn't make me think anything other than why were they wasting their time watching that stuff rather than getting down to Ewood?

Edited by philipl

That coverage of Accy Stanley beating Macclesfield didn't make me think anything other than why were they wasting their time watching that stuff rather than getting down to Ewood?

Think you talk a lot of sense at times but that is just a nonsense attitude. Why don't we all just pack up and start watching the big 4? If your only reason for watching football is to see a team that could win stuff then that's missing the whole point. It is the very same attitude of all the so called Man U fans in towns all over the country that don't watch a local team as they don't see the point either. Luckily there are thousands of others that enjoy seeing their local team and keep football what it is in the local leagues.

Why not sack off the bottom three leagues and just have big franchises in each city? Sadly Blackburn will have to as well but we can at least see us winning stuff if we go and watch the Manchester All Stars can't we?

Think you talk a lot of sense at times but that is just a nonsense attitude. Why don't we all just pack up and start watching the big 4? If your only reason for watching football is to see a team that could win stuff then that's missing the whole point. It is the very same attitude of all the so called Man U fans in towns all over the country that don't watch a local team as they don't see the point either. Luckily there are thousands of others that enjoy seeing their local team and keep football what it is in the local leagues.

Why not sack off the bottom three leagues and just have big franchises in each city? Sadly Blackburn will have to as well but we can at least see us winning stuff if we go and watch the Manchester All Stars can't we?

As ever, a rant given without actually reading what Phillipl had to say. The point he was making was that the football played at Ewood was much more entertaining than the do or die "lump it" stuff played in the lower leagues. Having watched League 2 quite a number of times this season, Phillip is absolutely right. Lower league football is not about skill it's about 20 not very good players (with the odd two who might make it at a higher level) passing a ball neither quickly nor accurately, around a muddy field. If they had jumpers for goalposts you wouldn't be surprised.

I suspect people are (again) harking back to the old days when football was "for the masses" and you could "go to the game, stand up, have a pie and a pint and have change from sixpence". I experienced that only a couple of times at Ayr United. I have no desire to do so again (in fact after those occasions insisted we went into the stand where you could sit and enjoy the game. Oh and- being 5 foot 4- SEE!). Like it or not, football is now about entetainment, and people who go to football want to see high quality entertainment. I suspect that's why some of us were so annoyed- even given the result- at the Charlton game, as our team so obviously under-achieved given what they're capable of. Even saying that, the product at Charlton/Blackburn was 1000% better skill wise than the second division.

Enjoy lower and non-league football if you like exploring your working class roots and wwandering down memory lane, but if you enjoy skill and entertainment, it's the Premiership every time. Yes, even Bolton!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.