BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Accrington Stanley

As ever, a rant given without actually reading what Phillipl had to say. The point he was making was that the football played at Ewood was much more entertaining than the do or die "lump it" stuff played in the lower leagues. Having watched League 2 quite a number of times this season, Phillip is absolutely right. Lower league football is not about skill it's about 20 not very good players (with the odd two who might make it at a higher level) passing a ball neither quickly nor accurately, around a muddy field. If they had jumpers for goalposts you wouldn't be surprised.

I suspect people are (again) harking back to the old days when football was "for the masses" and you could "go to the game, stand up, have a pie and a pint and have change from sixpence". I experienced that only a couple of times at Ayr United. I have no desire to do so again (in fact after those occasions insisted we went into the stand where you could sit and enjoy the game. Oh and- being 5 foot 4- SEE!). Like it or not, football is now about entetainment, and people who go to football want to see high quality entertainment. I suspect that's why some of us were so annoyed- even given the result- at the Charlton game, as our team so obviously under-achieved given what they're capable of. Even saying that, the product at Charlton/Blackburn was 1000% better skill wise than the second division.

Enjoy lower and non-league football if you like exploring your working class roots and wwandering down memory lane, but if you enjoy skill and entertainment, it's the Premiership every time. Yes, even Bolton!

As ever a holier than thou superior attitude that cannot understand how anyone can have a different view to them. Rather if they have a different view it is plain wrong. Believe it or not, and i'm sure not in your case. People go to football for a large number of reasons and the skill and entertainment is not always the main one. If it was then how could you explain how so many lower division clubs can still pull in sizeable crowds.

I understand what Phillip is saying and agree the skill is miles better but it isn't just about that. You are missing my point or as usual ignoring one you don't agree with. If you go off the argument that you should watch Rovers over Stanley as the entertainment is better, then you have to go with the view why not watch Man U cos they are miles better than us, like it or not it's true at the moment.

Most football fans don't sit there and pick a club based on who is most entertaining at the moment or which centre forward has nicest legs.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most football fans don't sit there and pick a club based on who is most entertaining at the moment or which centre forward has nicest legs.

Why not? :o;)

I used to enjoy watching our village team, the dog and I used to trot down to the village green of a Sunday morning until one sad day a fight developed between the teams and they got ditched out of the league :(

Think they lost the fight too.......

There is no doubt that League 2, Scottish Premier and Unibond level football is cracking good entertainment. As was watching Rovers in Div 2 and Div 3 of old (I rewatched that Chelsea v Rovers game from 76/7 posted on the Youtube thread which reminded me just what a good player Tony Parkes was).

However, Premiership football is astonishing for the speed and skill and even quite mundane EPL games have the capacity for leaving me sitting open mouthed at the levels of ball control that all the clubs except Watford have shown themselves capable of when building moves out of defence through midfield. It is a different world and as the viewing figures suggest, just about the best in the world.

I see some Bundesliga most weeks which is quite slow and lacking in physical pressure in comparisson with the EPL but the crowd atmosphere is much better most. Really bad Spanish and Italian games are off the scale for awfulness and there are quite a lot of them.

That coverage of Accy Stanley beating Macclesfield didn't make me think anything other than why were they wasting their time watching that stuff rather than getting down to Ewood?

I've been on Stanley games a few times this season and been richly entertained. FORTH top scorers in league 2! You wont get Tugay technique but you'll get your money's worth.

I wouldn't ever go to Stanley before Rovers but let's not disparage those that do. Stanley is as dear to some as Rovers are to us.

That coverage of Accy Stanley beating Macclesfield didn't make me think anything other than why were they wasting their time watching that stuff rather than getting down to Ewood?

In the league of tripe posted on here, the above belongs in the West Bromwich and District Sunday Methodist League (thank you Barry).

Any true football fan loves the non-league stuff.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.