BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wigan Athletic (0-3) Rovers

cn174

Interesting that all the predictions of Wigan collapsing once they lost their games against the big boys were well wide of the mark. They seem to be on track for their 4th win in a row at WHU and are still quite a way ahead of us in the league.

Underestimate this outfit at your peril. If we can lose away to Villa and Fulham, we can certainly lose at Wigan, who I think will expose some weaknesses in pace in our team. However, we have the benefit of another major failure of judgement of many on this board - Kuqi and Dickov - to partner Bellers and super-sub up front, so I now think we can score at least 2 in every game

2-2 Bellamy, Kuqi

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(i)Just as a matter of history, Wigan is/are known as pie eaters because in the 1920s the miners were forced back to work after a strike and thus had to eat "humble pie." Here you go.

here

(ii)Dave Whelan's offer is absolutely nothing but an excuse for the Wigan supporters to sing

"Who ate all the pies?

Who ate all the pies?

You fat @#/?s

You fat @#/?s

You ate all the pies."

A nice bit of red cabbage as a side accompanyment would be a lovely touch. Or maybe a gherkin

(iii) If Wigan play against us like they did against West Ham we are in trouble. Mind you we haven't got West Ham's defence, so onward and upward my fellow travellers.

Back to back wins for Wigan against two mid-to-top half teams in Man City and West Ham. The second game was even more impressive as it was away.

Theyll be dangerous on Saturday, but if we keep our concentration we can hurt their defence on the break with Bellamy.

It will be difficult. Away draw wouldnt be the worst result...

Here's an interesting one- Wigan's five defeats on the run were against the top five sides. So if we beat them, does that make us top six?

I agree that Wigan looked very dangerous at West Ham. However, I would back our defence over the Hammers' injury-hit back line.

All this is adding up to a cracker on the JJB's undersoil heated surface. Here's hoping the failure of such systems in small Lancastrian towns don't run in threes!

I have been very confident about this one for ages. I've no real justification for this or anything - I simply have a feeling that we'll win this one.

Roberts especially seems to score goals where the centrebacks have made an error due to his pressure. He is quick enough to expose errors high up the pitch and give himself a one on one. It has happened against Man City and West Ham in the last week alone, and there have been more. Ryan Nelsen will be a different story for him, but I worry about Zura. The general consensus amongst those that have seen a lot more of him than us is that he's a very good footballer but struggles under a physical threat.

Like I say, I just have a feeling that we'll win there. But the important battle is between Zura and their front two.

Just 350 tickets left according to Lee on the official site!!!

369689[/snapback]

I imagine they'll get snapped up when people are returning their Sunderland tickets.

Increase in average attendance for them, decrease for us.

Roberts was lucky not to get a second yellow yesterday  sad.gif

369678[/snapback]

2nd yellow ? it should have been a straight red.

From the highlights I have seen of Wigan recently our success will depend on Nelsen and Todd/Zura. If we can keep Camara and Roberts quiet I feel that we have enough up front to worry Wigan.

I am actually more optimistic playing this fixture away. The onus will be on Wigan to attack - from what I have seen a lot of their success has been hitting teams on the counter using the pace of their front two.

When you look at their stats they rarely seem to have the most possession - but obviously use what little possession they have to good affect.

Having Reid playing instead of Tugay may actually work to our advantage as he does add some badly needed pace to the centre of midfield.

I am going to go with my heart - and a 2-1 win to Rovers. However, given Wigans current form a draw must be considered a good result at this stage of the season

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.