BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

What are your thoughts on him? I believe:

1- Good player with bags of pace but.....

2-Not enough confidence in his own ability.

It is obvious he is potentially a great player but he needs to believe that. He seems like hes nervous as to how the fans will react if he f""ks up. In his first game(v Wolves 5-1). he was sensational. Great skill and loads of confidence. If he reproduced this he could be the man to lead us to europe.

I have a bad memory, in 03-04 did he do well??? What did he play like. My memory is blank from then, yet I remember all of the season before.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Boro commentators credited Emerton for wrecking the Boro wing back system yesterday. His work rate and speed up and down the flank meant that they could not overlap and effectively nullified McLaren's game plan. Nice move by Sparky and well done Bert.

Now keep it up!!!

I'm sure there is more potential there, but he's never really been crap IMO. Statistics do not lie. And his stats since he has been at the club have been decent.

He gets a lot of stick because people expect him to be something he is not. Just like the recent MGP-bashing. Fans of Rovers have been spoiled with great out-and-out flare wingers in the past, and expect every new wide man to be like that. The traditional winger as we remember them in Ripley and Wilcox are becoming a thing of the past.

He is inconsistent to the point of driving people insane! Some days he looks like a world beater, then other days the game passes him by. I have always liked him and have never given him some of the stick that he gets. I'd rather have him in the side than not.

The side looks stronger with him in, he is strong and quick with plenty of ability.

BUT he reminds me of Brian Clough's assessment of Glenn Hoddle (this is not exact but the gist of the quote is right) "He (Hoddle) is not a naturally quick player but he is so good because thinks quick and he has the first yard is in his head'.

Think about it. Cos our Brett's the bloody opposite! sad.gif

And that cannot be coached.

i hope emo signs another contract with us. the way he has played recently makes it perfectly obvious that he is an impact player. we keep it tight across the middle and control the game, then if we have played well enough to earn a lead in the game, bring the guy on and allow him the space and freedom to run all over the park and stretch that tired defence and/or midfield. the substitution of bellamy yesterday was a masterstroke and timed to perfection. his brains and quickness totally stretched their back 4 at a point in the game when they were starting to come back at us. i would start tommo on the right instead of brett and keep him on the bench....cause tommo aint gonna be able to out pace any of the opposition.

He was quite good on the left yesterday, best game from him in ages, but mostly cause he worked hard and tracked back so much and won the ball alot too. He seemed more willing to run with the ball too.

But Im sure good ol' Emo will be back on Wednesday.

369126[/snapback]

I thought he would play on the left... wink.gif

I'm not a fan of Emerton's and despite yesterday's great cross for Kuqi's first; I'm still to be convinced.

How Boro weren't awarded a penalty after Emo's clumsy challenge in the first half is a mystery to all but Uriah Rennie.

Emo has failed to deliver a decent performance on far too many occasions and I think that Sparky should reward Thommo with a new contract and have him as our 1st choice right winger.

I hope I'm made to eat my words about Emerton but after two and half years of his lacklustre performances, I'm not choking yet.

Go Rovers!! tinykit.gif

I think that Sparky should reward Thommo with a new contract and have him as our 1st choice right winger.

369182[/snapback]

On what basis exactly? Two appaling performances (west ham home and boro away) on the right hand side of midfield! Im not sayin Emerton is a world beater, but i think if he is left on the right then Thommo can play in the centre which i think is his best position.

He has performed better since he's come under pressure from Bentley playing in his role. He doesn't drift out of position like Thomson. But his position, like left back, has a number of people who can play it, without anyone doing it totally effectively. I think there must be better players "out there" for both positions.

i honestly used to love watching emo play for feyenoord back in the tommasson v hoojdonk kalou era and that was one hell of a different emerton, i maybe easy to convince when it comes to performances but i believe that we can still get the best out of him if he is given a good run in the team.

thompson is good but in my opinion not better than emerton at a wing position, it has to be in the player and thommo is a natural central midfielder, we all remember him leaving neill gasping for breathe or resorting to harsh challenges because he couldnt keep up with the gap left by thompson drifting into the centre before his injuries.... emerton has played right back and wing and he is suited for the position, and definitly better then bentley in my opinion

I can't believe that people think Emerton is quick. His lack of pace is one of his problems, if not the main problem. He does his 'little snake to the left, snake to the right' bit when he's on the ball because he's just plain not quick enough to get past the full back.

I can't believe that people think Emerton is quick. His lack of pace is one of his problems, if not the main problem. He does his 'little snake to the left, snake to the right' bit when he's on the ball because he's just plain not quick enough to get past the full back.

369378[/snapback]

You should've quit when you were ahead.....which was at no point during that post. He's not lightning, I'll grant you that, but he's very quick - more than enough acceleration and top end speed to get past a full back.

His problem? He's an athlete playing football, he simply doesn't have a footballing brain. The skill is there (trapping the ball, crossing, dribbling, passing), but his though process is always a second or so behind the defender.

On what basis exactly? Two appaling performances (west ham home and boro away) on the right hand side of midfield! Im not sayin Emerton is a world beater, but i think if he is left on the right then Thommo can play in the centre which i think is his best position.

369190[/snapback]

not only that brfc - but lets not forget that tommo has been out injured more times than he has been fit in the last two seasons. before offering the guy a new contract we need to see if he can get some kind of good football back together and stay injury free.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.