BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brett Emerton

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has never done anything! He is a bad version of Kevin Kibane (strong and fast but overall not up to it at this level) Thompson should have stayed during the transfer window with Emerton let go.

386802[/snapback]

hey mate, does your nick indicate your blind devotion to thommo? sure alot of us like that man... but by and large, it was pretty obvious in his displays last season and this that he's lost it... the move to wigan was good for both of us. perhaps he might rediscover his form in a new environment. as for bert, we know what he's capable of... we just have to find a way of getting him to produce it consistently.

hey mate, does your nick indicate your blind devotion to thommo? sure alot of us like that man... but by and large, it was pretty obvious in his displays last season and this that he's lost it... the move to wigan was good for both of us. perhaps he might rediscover his form in a new environment. as for bert, we know what he's capable of... we just have to find a way of getting him to produce it consistently.

386804[/snapback]

I agree thT Emmo offers more than Thompson, mainly in terms of being strong defensively.

But as for finding a way to get him to produce consistently, don't you think we have tried enough?

Bentley and Reid are ahead of him in the pecking order, he is not getting a sniff, his Rovers career has come to an end.

Oddly enough, Neill play's left back for Australia normally.

386772[/snapback]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on that - Australia tend to favour a 5-3-2/3-5-2 (same thing, with wingbacks) with Neill at centre-back and Emerton wing-back. I know Aussie fans are delighted with the way both these players perform for their country so why not try Emerton at right back and Neill in the centre?

You aren't going to play players out of position and drop others, to give one guy a game. Lucas is a right back, it's his best position. You aren't going to play him in the centre, because then you would have to drop Todd or Nelsen who are natural centre backs and who have been the main stay of our defence. If we had an injury crisis, then maybe Neill could play in the centre and Emerton at right back, but it isn't going to be a frequent line up. I think that Emerton can still be a good player to have in the squad and unless we were offered over £2 million for him, I wouldn't think about selling.

Lucas is a right back, it's his best position. You aren't going to play him in the centre, because then you would have to drop Todd or Nelsen

386894[/snapback]

I was merely trying to offer a solution to those deluded few who are slating Andy Todd.

I've had an odd thought about Emerton and his playing below his ability. If it is confidence causing him to play poorly I don't really understand why it hit him so quickly, so what I've decided is it might not be his individual confidence, but maybe something related to the team. This is probably explained poorly but perhaps he goes into his shell in a struggling side and this has meant he ends up not taking on his man and just trying to keep the ball, which he does very well. Strange as it may be but perhaps with our side flying high at the minute it would be worth sticking him back into the team and seeing what he can do.

I've had an odd thought about Emerton and his playing below his ability. If it is confidence causing him to play poorly I don't really understand why it hit him so quickly, so what I've decided is it might not be his individual confidence, but maybe something related to the team. This is probably explained poorly but perhaps he goes into his shell in a struggling side and this has meant he ends up not taking on his man and just trying to keep the ball, which he does very well. Strange as it may be but perhaps with our side flying high at the minute it would be worth sticking him back into the team and seeing what he can do.

386951[/snapback]

So quickly? Did I miss the last 3 years of Emerton being woeful interspersed with the odd good game? Emerton has never, in my opinion, lived up to the hype that surrounded him when he was bought. If there's a blid alley to run into, that's where Bert could too often be found. His crossing was never particularly good, and I still remember his efforts at corners, which were so bad that the job was removed from him as soon as it decently could be.

I always thought of him, Thommo and Reidy as much of a muchness. Sometimes adequate, mostly terrible. Reidy, however has improved by leaps and bounds over the past year, where Thommo (now gone) was injured and Bert blew cold and colder. I don't think Reid's the answer on the right wing, but I'm sure, beyond certainty that Bert isn't.

Im inclined to agree with Eddie here, but who do you take out of a winning team, to take a risk with. Maybe we need to accept Emerton is not an out and out winger and plays better when in a more defensive capacity like the role he plays for Aus.

I believe he had one of the highest assist rates in the league, and that was when we started putting him down. Emerton is not a bad player, hes not an out and out winger, I think Rovers fans want to compare him t Ripley in his prime or Duff.

He just isn't that sort of player

Edited by Seggie

• 1 year later...

Some people still want a right back though. I don't get it. The general rule is if you have an attacking right back he will have defensive lapses, as Emerton does. I'd rather that than play with an average defensive full back. Emerton had a great season. I also like the way that despite coming here with a big reputation and never quite living up to it in the first 3 years he never moaned, made excuses or tried to leave. He's a good lad I think...

Some people still want a right back though. I don't get it. The general rule is if you have an attacking right back he will have defensive lapses, as Emerton does. I'd rather that than play with an average defensive full back. Emerton had a great season. I also like the way that despite coming here with a big reputation and never quite living up to it in the first 3 years he never moaned, made excuses or tried to leave. He's a good lad I think...

We can't afford to lose him. He is so versatile, able to play right wing, right back and left back (he had a full season at Feyenoord in this position). He IS the fittest player in the squad and will run in the 89th minute like he does in the 1st making him one of those "really dangerous in the last 10 minutes" players. He lacked confidence before but Hughesy and a good World Cup set him right.

the thing is, that is what some of us where saying about him anyway - it was of the opinion that he was an athlete and not a footballer (Bert#1).

People know my feelings on Bert#1 as I haven't gone quietly about it on here, however, I tip my hat and salute the guy (Bert#2)as I feel he has just had an excellent season.

May not be the best RB but has filled in well for Rovers

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Emerton, who has made 61 appearances for his country and skippered Australia’s Olympic Games team in 2000, has never been backward in coming forward.

But he chose to put Blackburn first last month by by-passing the recent friendly with Argentina after picking up a pre-season eye infection, which rubbed him out of unbeaten Rovers’ first two games of the season.

-- Emphasis added. From the article Emerton goes Dutch. I assumed he was being rested in those first two games, rather than being host to an injury.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.