SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pitch Inspection

BringOnNextSeason

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust that the findings of the investigation into today's postponement that Tom Finn has announced, will be swiftly made public as soon as the information becomes available.

369580[/snapback]

You wanna know the technicalities of the undersoil heating control system. Why -you an expert AESF?

A relative of mine who lives in London and is also a Rovers fan, has decided not to bother going to the Rovers v Pompey game on the 2nd, because of todays shambles and making the trip up for todays game.

WHY WAS THERE AN ARTICLE ON THE ROVERS SITE AT 5PM SAYING THAT THE PITCH WAS FINE AND THE GAME WOULD DEFFO GO AHEAD.

JOKE!

Language Mr K.

Edited by den

Luxury, at least you guys had the opportunity to travel a 1000 miles for the game to be postponed

We can't even get a the game on television over here, and when we do we travel from Sydney, Brisbane, Perth and Darwin to share one black and white TV screen at the Inbred Inn in Hobart.

Yep

I was the one who texted 5 live. I had set off at 2 from London, picked my friend up in Oxford, and we were 50 miles shy of Ewood when we heard about the pitch inspection.

Having booked corporate hospitality, we wanted to know what we should do (by this time I was resigned to the game being off- even though it hadn't formally been called off) but was hungry, and as I was so close (in relative terms) wanted to know if we would get fed if we turned up there. The ticket office didn't know about the inspection- for those in line it was me that told them to go and check and they then actually found out what was going on- ie the game was off!

The hospitality department said, yes- come along, the food's here. So we did. However, every few minutes during the meal we burst into quasi-hysterical giggles and said "it's a long way to come for dinner"

I got back about half an hour ago (had to drop my friend off in Oxford on the way back)

Those of you whingeing about short journies- get over it. It's just one of those things. If I can laugh, and another friend who has travelled 7000 miles to see 3 matches can cope- so can you.

However do they manage in colder countries ?

369468[/snapback]

Our season runs from April to October, that's how we manage wink.gif During Royal League, played between seasons, the pitches are bad, but playable. However if one of the more northern teams would qualify it'd be more or less unplayable.

I can not believe the bleating I am reading, in 15 years we have had THREE games called off at Ewood, this being the first one due to the cold, it happens, its part of being a football fan, the analagy of the fridge failing at Tesco sums up precisely the problem we have got at Blackburn Rovers, we are not a conveyer belt business where all products are always at maximum efficency, things go wrong you get over it. Those who have made a long journey I feel for you but its not exactly a regular occurence. Get behind the club and any floating fans get back for the rematch.

Would those telling others to "stop bleating", "get behind the club" or to "get over it" be as forgiving if they'd had to travel to another ground for this to happen? Of course not.

Whilst the fact the undersoil heating didn't work as well as should have been the case is indeed "one of those things" the *quality* of communication from the club is something that needs addressing.

As well as the reports of being told for definite the game was going ahead - surely at least some hint of a problem was known less than an hour before it was postponed? - how on earth can the club be taken seriously when the TO is still selling after Sky Sports has reported it's off?! (See sausagemandog's comments).

It's all very good for Mattyblue to try to rally the floating supporters, but I feel they are more likely to float off to the nearest local than Ewood.

rover.gif my mate lives in the shadow off the darwen end and he said at 4pm that the smoke was not coming out off the chimmey that houses the under soil heating.we were in the dun horse when it came up on ssn that the game was off,about 9pm we were in the sun and a coach load off sunderland lads were in singing and shouting,i talked to one and he said they were over the moon the game was off because they go home unbeaten and very pi$$ed tinykit.gif

My guess is the pitch was bathed in sunshine for most of the day and it was not until around 3.30 or 4.00pm that it began to freeze.

369523[/snapback]

Given the height of the stands and the height of winter sun I would doubt very much that the pitch will see any sun at all between November to March.

rover.gif my mate lives in the shadow off the darwen end and he said at 4pm that the smoke was not coming out off the chimmey that houses the under soil heating.

369630[/snapback]

Doesn't that just mean that they haven't selected a new groundsman yet? smile.gif

I was in the ground when the game was called off, and while it is annoying, perhaps it would be best if we stayed calm and objective.

No one wants a match to be postponed. Not the fans, not the players, but especially not rovers.

After the last 20 minutes of our performance at Middlesborough, I expected Rovers to destroy Sunderland last night and I am sure the players and management staff did too. Although a break does players good for fitness, it saps the confidence advantage away.

The club will lose a lot of money from this, not just catering (tough they could give the pies to Wigan who will give them us for free...), but the programs too. I am sure someone can correct me, but I believe the FA can issue a penalty for such a late postponement if the club are found to be at fault?

The point has also been made, quite rightly, that a lot of floating fans have been lost, and I expect many to push for refunds. I believe an attendance in the region of 24k was expected (at least), with a few thousand Sunderland fans. Surely a reschedule will bring that figure down to closer 18k.

I understand the general feeling of dismay as I felt it too, but finger pointing and knee jerk reactions will do no good.

I am sure the club will do its best for the disapointed fans. It is not as if this is a regular occurance - me and my mate were talking about when it happened against Wimbledon over a decade ago.

In the meantime get behind the club.

Would those telling others to "stop bleating", "get behind the club" or to "get over it" be as forgiving if they'd had to travel to another ground for this to happen? Of course not.

Yes, because as on principle I won't go to Newcastle, Sunderland or Boro (too damn far), any other ground would be nearer for me.

Some people who travel two minutes to games don't seem to realise that for others this is the furthest away ground we as supporters go to. And we do it every second week. So Modi got told it was on, and then it wasn't. Boo hoo. Was I cross, yes. Did I get over it in a couple of minutes and a text to 5 Live? Yes. Why? Because I'm a grown-up and realise these things happen (also as the replay will be later in the season it was one game I DIDN'T and now probably WON'T have to sit in sub-zero temeratures to watch.) And we'll be more rested for Wigan, which will be a more difficult game.

All good in my book

How can you blame the club? The undersoil heating was on – it was more or less fine, however if anybody goes onto the pitch then it has to be turned off.

A little insight as to how cold it was:

I left work @ 4pm. I had some dirt on my windscreen so I put my wipers on. Water came out fine, however within about 5 seconds; ice was forming on my windscreen.

I picked up my girlfriend @ 5.30 pm – It was 1 degree

When I heard it had been called off @ 6.15, it was -5

Therefore it had dropped 6 degree’s in just 45 minutes.

If the under soil heating was switched off, which it would need to be, to play the game, then it would freeze over in only a few minutes.

Club – Not to blame

Referee – Not to blame

Weather – Now there’s your answer.

Club lose out, supporters lose out – But the Club isn’t to blame.

I knew for a fact that when I came on here this morning I would see the usual moaners having a go at the club. Why? Because that’s what you do best – Moan! Vinjay & Co having a ‘go’ at the club & the walker family (who have pumped millions of pounds into the club)

I spoke to a number of sunderland fans last night who to be honest didn’t care, as one said ‘at least they got to have a few beers and a laugh’.

Proper supporters, support the club. They don’t just support for success!

They don’t moan about the club @ every opportunity!

Get a grip and support YOUR club.

If I remember rightly, from a conversation with the Rovers groundsman a few years ago, there is only a certain amount of time they can put the undersoil heating on for as the grass/turf will burn.

So, knowing what the weather was like yesterday I imagine they ground staff would have been using the undersoil heating conservatively in order not to ruin the pitch.

If I also remeber rightly, I could be wrong, but I don't think they can have it turned on during the game or for a certain time period prior to the game.

I presume the club were trying to do everything they could to get the game on, and how upset would people have been if they had been told in the afternoon there was a good chance the game was going to be off and so didn't set off for the ground, and then the pitch was alright so the game went ahead?

The club is run in a business manner, and the they had to try and do everything they could to make sure the game went ahead last night, but obviously that wasn't possible.

Just seen Hughesy's post so am probably repeating a couple of things he has already said, sorry!

Edited by The Gull

Proper supporters, support the club. They don’t just support for success!

They don’t moan about the club @ every opportunity!

Get a grip and support YOUR club.

369646[/snapback]

Well thank you for doubting my loyalty to the club. Cretin.

Having travelled 300 miles for this game, I am not happy (nor is my football hating girlfriend who had to cut short her seasonal visit to her parents!), but I don't blame the club. This is because they obviously did all they could to ensure the game went ahead, it is not i n their interest for the game to be postponed, financially and PR wise.

Peace and goodwill thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.