BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pitch Inspection

BringOnNextSeason

Im not doubting anybodys loyalty and i can understand people with a long journey to be annoyed, but be annoyed with the weather, not the club.

They get enough stick

369664[/snapback]

OK, but you didn't travel 200 miles did you? After been told the game was on.

I am not doubting for one second that the weather caused the game to be off. However, the club should have communicated better that's the issue. Many people rang the club only an hour before it was off. Somebody somewhere will have known something wasn't quite right and it is the clubs duty to make sure everyone knows about it so if there is idiots like me that make a 200 mile round trip they can at least stand a chance of turning round half way there when they ring up to see if the game is on.

Game off because of weather.

Me annoyed because of Rovers poor communication.

I think that's the issue.

Edited by Martin

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isnt worth bickering between us over.

I didn't travel 200 miles fair enough - i only travelled about ten.

But that means I fully agreewith the fact the pitch was playable in the afternoon but not by 6. We walked from Manxman area to Ewood and it is no embelishment to say it was f**king FREEZING. I don't need a thermometer to tell me that... The path I walked was rock solid so I think it is totally believable that the pitch was playable til then.

Communication from Rovers could only come afterthe game has been postponed so you cant criticise them for not telling peoplesooner. They may have been slow with the reasons, but do you really expect any of the media to go into any detail about why rovers match is postponed?

Its easy to criticise.

You wanna know the technicalities of the undersoil heating control system. Why -you an expert AESF?

369601[/snapback]

Well if AESF doesn't want to know , I certainly do !

For example , does it work to -8 degrees (as someone said earlier) or not ?

Was it working last night when the temp was way above that ?

Is the system useless if the game is to be played at freezing temperatures ?

Did nobody bother to check the system the previous night when (or if) it was switched on , and the temperature was below zero ?

If we aren't given an adequate explanation then people are entitled to assume that games can no longer be played at below zero temperature and they will take a look at the weather forecast before buying tickets .

A lot of people on here are scared witless at criticising the club in any way . Now if the heating system failed late in the day then that's fair enough - a technical error .

Now that just leaves the usual shambolic procedure of getting information out to the public in good time - which AESF likened to the Parkes fiasco . Here it seems the club have no excuse at all . A few Geordies and our Jan may have been pacified by a meal and a few drinks but I bet there are plenty who aren't as forgiving .

And I for one have been to scores of games were the temperature has been colder than it was last night !!

Rovers followed the procedures, did everything by the book in getting the game played but the temperatures were dropping as nightime came, unfortunately these things happen.

As for communication what happened to radio Lancashire sport last night, when i tuned in at about 6.15pm all that was on was music when i expected to hear someone talkig about the nights football.

What people seem to want is confirmation from the club that the system simply broke down due to machanical failure..... shyte happens and there is nothing much the club can do about that,we're all adult enough to agree on that point.

If thats not the case then what the hell did happen?.....all the other Prem games that did go ahead last night seemed to have been played on perfectly good pitches under the same freezing weather conditions!

ROLL ON SATURDAY!!

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

except Bolton (which im guessing has USH)

Anyone else think (other than RAF Rover) that its quite handy that we havent had to play this game and therefore the players get a good rest before the (much harder) game against Wigan?

I don't think that , Flopsy . I'd have preferred to play them while we're in form and they're not . And won't Tugay now have to miss the Wigan game ? I'd have preferred him to miss yesterday's game (if you see what I mean ... blink.gif )

Oh and Bolton's heating failed . At least they admitted it ... smile.gif

Just been down to Ewood for my cup tickets and a member of the Ticket Office staff was saying that the biggest dissapointment was that last nights attendance would heve been far and away the largest at Ewood all season.

Don't know if he was taking the mickey, but he said the game would have been close to a sell out!

sad.gif

Like Jan I travelled 300 miles and was in corporate hospitality..

I had just got the starters when game called off...so it was a long way for dinner!

Its nobodys fault...these things happen but a shame the big crowd did not see a big win!

I'll be back for Pompey though!

Won't bother quoting all your post Hughesy but well said.

Anyone else on here who went to the game at Cambridge a few year's ago that was called off at half time due to a frozen pitch? Now that was effin cold and frustrating, but it is just all part of being a football fan.

Worst thing about that was that we went all the way back when it was replayed and lost!

What's all this rubbish about people phoned an hour before? So what, At 5.15 the game WAS still ON. at 6.15 it was off.

The referee didnt check the pitch until 6pm - Rovers cant communicate anything until his decision has been made.

It was all over sky sports, which has a huge audiance - what else do you want them to do? Phone each person individually?? Dont be daft!

I am not doubting for one second that the weather caused the game to be off. However, the club should have communicated better that's the issue. Many people rang the club only an hour before it was off.

Me annoyed because of Rovers poor communication.

I think that's the issue.

369668[/snapback]

What's all this rubbish about people phoned an hour before? So what, At 5.15 the game WAS still ON. at 6.15 it was off.

The referee didnt check the pitch until 6pm - Rovers cant communicate anything until his decision has been made.

It was all over sky sports, which has a huge audiance - what else do you want them to do? Phone each person individually?? Dont be daft!

369716[/snapback]

Perhaps broadcast the fact it was off via the radio.

Or is Sky Sports beamed direct into moving cars over there?

369716[/snapback]

Or perhaps the fact they didn't even suggest that there was any sort of issue, or the fact that they didn't say there was a pitch inspection, or the fact that not everyone relies on sky sports, or as SAR says don't have it in their cars, is the issue?

Oh but sorry, I'm daft and not a loyal supporter in your mind.

As far as rovers were concerned it was fine to play on.

When a drop in temperature occured between 5 - 6 they had a pitch inspection, just after 6.

I think the club did pretty much all they could in the circumstances

369722[/snapback]

Hughesy.

It wasn't fine at 5pm.

It was like an ice rink.

As said earlier, I watched Friedal skating around on it in his boots. If anyone thought that pitch was fit at 5pm they really should be looking for different groundstaff (and I dont think they are.)

Actual phone call

"is the game on"

"yes"

Better phoen call

"is the game on"

"yes, but there is a pitch inspection at 6pm"

Edited by stuwilky

Anyone else on here who went to the game at Cambridge a few year's ago that was called off at half time due to a frozen pitch? Now that was effin cold and frustrating, but it is just all part of being a football fan. Quote from mjs

I did, we hired a car in Blackburn for the trip, picked everyone up around lunch, M62 closed after a massive pile up in freezing fog, the fog started to clear when we got south of Nottingham, several times we nearly turned back but soldiered on, knowing we were going to arrive late, made it to the Abbey Stadium for half time just as the crowd started to leave, found a pub on the outskirts of Cambridge with a Guinness promotion on to cheer ourselves up. Another day off work for the rearranged came later that season, again hired a car, just for two this time, all for a 2:0 defeat…..ah well, one of those events you look back on, laugh and tinged with a bit of fondness I must admit smile.gif

Edited by Derbyshire Blue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.