BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen

SAS

As Nelsen has until January 17th to appeal it's fair to say that The Sun are talking a load of tosh and that is merely speculation on their part. Lua Lua has also been charged for a bit of ref-calling.

371357[/snapback]

From The Press (Christchurch, NZ) 7th January:

Nelsen unfazed by 'media bungle'

Ryan Nelsen says he has learned another valuable lesson this week in the dog-eat-dog world of the English Premier League.

“Just don’t talk to the British Press,” said the All Whites skipper after being charged by the Football Association for making comments about referee Mark Halsey after Blackburn’s loss to Everton on December 20 (sic, should be 3rd).

Nelsen told a reporter Halsey had “a nice track record” of dismissing Blackburn players after he sent off Rovers captain Andy Todd against Everton and Georgia defender Zurab Khizanishvili at Liverpool in October.

“For some reason he likes giving red cards to us,” Nelsen was quoted as saying.

The New Zealander does not deny making the comments but said he was led into it by a British reporter. “I guess I was a bit naïve. I was just having a laugh with a reporter and made a few sarcastic comments. If you had heard me say it, it was not bad at all, but if you put it down in print, it suddenly sounds quite different.”

Nelsen said his Blackburn club was not too concerned about the charge and did not expect to be suspended. “I don’t think it’s a major. It happens all the time to a lot of players and managers.”

Here

Edited by Steptoe

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people complain so much when clearly his words were taken out of context.

How bored are the F.A sitting in there office watching footage of previos games to eventually catch someone speeking out of terms.

It's like the police hiding behind a bush with a speed camera there gonna get someone eventually it's all about the benjamins

After all, the guys on the other side of the desk at the hearing will have moments over a oint they are probably mighty glad never saw the light of day in print.

372211[/snapback]

Oint? Do you mean 'pint' or 'joint'? wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Nice to see that the FA are sticking to their rules of not upsetting the Moan Utd applecart!!!

Fergie and Rooney NOT to be charged following their comments about Steve Bennett's performance on Saturday.

Did anyone else see this coming???

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=35...nel=premiership

375293[/snapback]

"Bury", "Head" and "Sand" are three words that spring to mind.

Typical FA attitude. If it's not in the refs report, it didn't happen.

Ryan on Fulham Target Simon Elliot and on US Soccer Chatrooms

"Simon played for a crap team (Columbus Crew) in the States and still stood out enough to be picked. New Zealand should celebrate that instead of bagging the guy."

• 4 weeks later...

Glenn Keeley put our poor performances at the back against West Brom and Everton in part to the fact that Nelsen and Todd are both only 6 ft tall. Coming up against 6 ft++ strikers puts them at a disadvantage.

Anyone know what happened to Nelsen's charge from the FA for speaking the truth?

Edited by philipl

Todd's 5'10" at best. Nelsen looks over 6', but it's hard to tell without physically standing next to him. Both are physically well build players, however, so that excuse by Mr Keeley doesn't wash with me. They're not going to be knocked off the ball by Campbell or Beattie, but what they failed to do was time their jumps and display basic communication skills between themselves and Friedel (the West Brom goal especially highlights this, though the entire Everton game is a pretty good example of how not to defend).

Todd's 5'10" at best. Nelsen looks over 6', but it's hard to tell without physically standing next to him. Both are physically well build players, however, so that excuse by Mr Keeley doesn't wash with me. They're not going to be knocked off the ball by Campbell or Beattie, but what they failed to do was time their jumps and display basic communication skills between themselves and Friedel (the West Brom goal especially highlights this, though the entire Everton game is a pretty good example of how not to defend).

384478[/snapback]

From the BBC website they are: -

Todd 1.78m 5' 10"

Nelsen 1.80m 5' 11"

Khizanishvili 1.85m 6' 1"

Interesting, and Nelsen is just 77kg according to rovers.co.uk.

Todd less than 75 kg, while the 185 cm tall Zura is 80 kg.

I thought it was the other way around, with Nelsen at least 185cm.. oh well smile.gif

I disagree with you though, exiledrover, to a certain extent anyway. We tend to struggle with powerful and tall strikers, such as Campbell, Beattie and for that matter - van Nistelrooy. I don't know whether Zura could've done a better job alongside Nelsen with his alleged height, but I'm certainly uncomfortable with Todd against animals like Campbell.

Edited by herbergeehh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Perhaps the FA should be encouraged to look at the messageboards themselves and see the opinions of those who were there before they charge managers or players for telling the truth. The officials last night were very poor, equally for both clubs. Dowd didn't look like he knew what he was doing (or like he cared enough about getting things right) for large parts of the game and the players weren't clear what would be given as a foul and what wouldn't. It led to a poor game that satisfied nobody, not managers, players or fans. We did play poorly as we have much of the time recently, and didn't deserve more than a point if that, but some of the poor play by both sides was due to total lack of confidence in the officials. Good refs create an atmosphere where even when they get things wrong, and most of them do some of the time, the players feel that most of the time things will be done properly and they can get on and play their game.

• 4 weeks later...
Not related to the FA charges, but didn't think it was worth another thread.

Nelsen unlikely for Malaysia

Also not worth another thread, and certainly not related to those FA charges, but Ryan has been named by the fans to DC United's all-decade team:

From The Washington Post: "Eight players from the club's all-decade team, as well as former coach Bruce Arena, will be honored before tonight's match. Current players Olsen, Jaime Moreno, Christian Gomez and Nick Rimando will be joined by Marco Etcheverry, Raul Diaz Arce, Jeff Agoos and John Harkes. Ryan Nelsen, Carlos Llamosa and Eddie Pope are unable to attend."

Ryan won't be there, but I shall, wearing my Blackburn Nelsen shirt.

It will be a good day. Rovers on television here at noon, and then the DC United match in the evening, preceeded by the the honors for Nelsen and the others.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.