Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen

SAS

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Listening to that interview, its clear from Nelsens voice and answers, something is happening, either he wants to go, or rovers are willing to sell.

A real shame, and it looks like its all about the money (well, when isn't it?).

But, Nelsen has two years left of his current contract I believe, so Rovers are in a solid position. If we want him to stay, he will stay no doubt about that.

Does nobody understand the business aspect of football at all?

Rovers sign Nelsen for free. We have reportedly turned down a £5m bid.

So let's say Nelsen is sold for £6m, that is a £6m profit, on a 28 year old player who has injury problems, and no matter what you might say with your 'Blue and White shades' on, a player who is highly replacable.

It is common sense. Look at Arsenal, it's how they've run their ship for the past decade...

Petit, Overmars and Anelka were all bought for combined fees of around £7.5m.

They were sold for combined fees of £53.5m.

They were then replaced by Gilberto, Pires and Henry for combined fees of £19.5m.

Obviously we are talking a different level of player and club stature here, but for arguments sake, we sign Bellamy and Nelsen for combined fees of £3.75m..

We then sell the two players for fees of £12.5m..

The replacements so far would be Roberts, McCarthy and Jeffers, combined fees of around £4.5m. I believe we could then sign Ooijer and Huth for combined fees of around £5m.

This leaves Rovers £3m up, with a stronger and deeper squad (In my opinion) which also doesn't include two injury prone players.

Adding this £3m extra to the transfer funds we already had, plus any income we seem like we might get for Emerton, it could leave Rovers with a deeper squad, which has a larger spread of quality in comparisions to last seasons, with potentially £10m or so spendable money, which could obviously be used for one or two special players, or three or four more good quality Premiership players.

This, with no questions ask, leaves us a much stronger team and squad, and represents great player trading by Rovers.

It's the way football works, and when done properly, ala Arsenal, leads to great success both on and off the pitch. Obviously to do this you need a good board and a good manager..

I feel Rovers are lucky enough to have both.

Pretty vague interview with regards to his future. In that I mean that Nelsen appears quite excited about the Pompey prospect. It seems that we (BRFC) have not spoken to him about his future.

Presenter could not stop going on about the Portsmouth move as if it would be a dream come true.

Interesting at the end, a decision will be made next week, hopefully not when we confirm the signing of our defender giving the green light for Nelsen to leave.

Sorry shilito, in theory your words might be encouraging, but in practice its not like that.

Sell your best players, and you will fall backwards, unless you replace them by BETTER players, not by MORE players.

The best case to point was after Duff and Dunn left and the players we replaced them with.

At the time, none of the gloom that we are now dishing out on those choices was being reported by any Roverite. We all were happy with Souness who was king. We had our best squad in a long time. We signed a player with a big reputation in Europe for only 2 million, etc...

But in retrospect all his transfers that summer failed and we fell backwards cause our starting line-up was weakened. The only success may have been Reid and that only paid dividends last season!

Yes but that is why it is important to have a good manager.

In the examples I have given Anelka, who was a world class young striker who had just banged in 20 plus goals for Arsenal was sold and replaced with a winger flop who was rotting in Juventus' reserves.

Overmars was a world class winger who was replaced with a French World Cup squad substitute (Pires) who couldn't get in the team due to the previously mentioned flop, and had only ever proven himself in a less superior league with Marseille.

Petit was a world class defensive midfielder who kept Vieira out of that team and was replaced with a Brazilian who only shot to fame due to Emersons' injury just prior to that World Cup. And let's not forget at first Petit was actually replaced for a season with Ray Parlour in the centre, a Right Winger who was hardly renowned for his ball winning capabilities in the engine room.

Trust must be put into the manager, who in all the above cases was proven 100% correct.

Imagine the Arsenal fans uproar prior to the campaigns when all these pieces of business took place.

Furthermore, ask them now how they feel about those pieces of business.

A very good example there shillito15, using Arsenal to prove a point. But, IMO Arsenal are the exception rather then the rule regarding selling your best players for a high fee, while replacing them with cheeper players who might turn out to be stars one day.

Just my opinion.

(awaits a "sod off","stupid retard", "You numpty", "you idiot", kind a answer) <_<

A very good example there shillito15, using Arsenal to prove a point. But, IMO Arsenal are the exception rather then the rule regarding selling your best players for a high fee, while replacing them with cheeper players who might turn out to be stars one day.

Just my opinion.

(awaits a "sod off","stupid retard", "You numpty", "you idiot", kind a answer) <_<

how do Pompey have so much money all of a sudden ?

they may have the sugar daddy and the money but attracting players has been difficult if you read the trash in the papers, they are linked to about 10 new players a day and keep getting rejected apart from campbell.

I apologise for posting this as more than one post, but the awful internet connection that I am on limits the size of what I am able to post.

Shillito, in the end you might be right, but until Hughes shows himself to be as good in the transfer market as Wenger then I will have my doubts as to whether or not that should be a tactic we should follow. Wenger is probably in a class of his own when it comes to finding players from around Europe who are able to find their feet at his club despite previous failures or looking unimpressive in the past.

Hughes has shown that he is pretty good at finding players at good prices, Nelsen, Bellamy and even Mokoena are proof of that, but he is still yet to really be tested in the transfer market. Now comes the time when he has to maintain the high standards he has set, it isn't easy to continue to find these cheap players who can keep a club in the top 6 in the Premiership. I would like to think that he could do it, but if Nelsen leaves, especially with a good chance that Neill might leave as well, it puts a strain on any manager to have to replace 3 of his best players in a single summer, especially for a club like us. At the moment I am pretty optimistic about the upcoming season, as long as we don't lose anymore of our key players and we are able to bring in about 3 more I will be very happy.

If we want to look at managers to follow, Wenger, despite being brilliant, isn't the plan to take in my opinion. You look at the majority of clubs their success has come from building a squad over a period of time and continually improving it while hanging out to the key players. Even at Arsenal this has been the case, it is only when some of those players were seen as being past it that they were moved on. It is fine to take advantage of a good opportunity to turn a profit, but you can't do it every time to present itself. Arsenal didn't sell Henry this season even when there was a reputed offer of 50 million. That would have represented a huge financial gain, the largest in history, but they knew that the player was more important than the money.

It is only in situations when you can identify players to fill the gap at a lower cost that you should take the money, I don't see that many quality centre backs of 28 or less, on relatively low wages who will come in and perform the way that Nelsen has for us. Huth is a possibilty, but there are still doubts about how good he is, I don't have many Chelsea friends who think highly of him. Distin would be the one I would turn to, but with Pompey bidding 4 million for him it would seem unlikely that we would be able to get him, he must also be on higher wages than Nelsen, even if we offer him an improved deal.

You look at the majority of clubs their success has come from building a squad over a period of time and continually improving it while hanging out to the key players.

Partly true but remember that the top teams manage to keep on to their success by replacing their best players when need be. It's not necessarily the selling of the players that is the problem but who is brought in.

It's just that bit more difficult for a club like Rovers as we can't afford many mistakes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.