BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nelsen

SAS

Losnig your best player in the summer happens, and with a bit of luck McCarthy will be an excellent replacement, losing your TWO best players is different, it was very disappointing to hear Ryan talk about Portsmouth so positively, it would be a poor decision to let him goas he is the rock our solid defence is built on. Hughes has shown he is an excellent manager, and so far he has done very well in the transfer market, but he will make mistakes, who doesn't, I trust him but he is not perfect. We must keep Nelsen.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but you don't see many top teams sell players who were integral to their success the season before. Not unless the player has either fallen out with the manager, seen to be getting on a bit or they have highlighted a replacement who is as good or better and it is partially being used to fund the move.

I don't think this interview changes that much. It looks as though he fancies the switch, but if we can match Pompey's offer or just simply reject all bids then I don't think he will be too unhappy here.

Even still, let's get talking to Chelsea over Huth and let's do it before Gallas moves to Arsenal. There is no way that Chelsea will sell both Huth and Gallas as that will leave them with only Carvalho and Terry. Huth would be the only obvious player that could replace or improve upon what we have.

Edited by tcj_jones

Shillitto, - Rovers have sold their best players ever since I began watching them. Pickering, Newton, England, Duff, Shearer all went along with a host of other top players.

It was always thought that the money recieved would strengthen the team.

IT NEVER DID. IT NEVER WILL.

True, but you don't see many top teams sell players who were integral to their success the season before. Not unless the player has either fallen out with the manager, seen to be getting on a bit or they have highlighted a replacement who is as good or better and it is partially being used to fund the move.

We can't afford to be trying to force unhappy players to stay - the Ferguson saga was a mess and we ended up getting shafted in the end.

Nobody is happy that we may lose one of the best defenders we have had at Ewood for a long time but...we rebuild and move in...that's what we all get used to when we follow a side that isn't "a top team".

We can't afford to be trying to force unhappy players to stay - the Ferguson saga was a mess and we ended up getting shafted in the end.

Nobody is happy that we may lose one of the best defenders we have had at Ewood for a long time but...we rebuild and move in...that's what we all get used to when we follow a side that isn't "a top team".

To a point, but Shillitto was saying sell Nelsen *as a business proposition*

Totally different.

Shillitto, - Rovers have sold their best players ever since I began watching them. Pickering, Newton, England, Duff, Shearer all went along with a host of other top players.

Think you are spot on there Den.

To a point, but Shillitto was saying sell Nelsen *as a business proposition*

Totally different.

Why does this story keep running though? Rovers have kept saying no...but Pompey kept coming back. ON many occasions when that happens they have recieved encouragement. Does Nelsen know that he would be offered much higher wages at Fratton rather than Ewood Park?

..that's what we all get used to when we follow a side that isn't "a top team".

Neither are Pompey - not by a long chalk. The only two possible reasons for the move are

1) We think 5m is a good fee for Nelsen. (Can't agree there in relation to the adverse effect it will have on the team)

2) Nelsen will get more money in wages by moving to Pompey. (Can't understand why we would allow that to happen)

Doesn't mean a great deal but Andy Neild in this morning's LET claims that we have rejected all three Pompey bids and are insisting he's not for sale. And that Ooijer is being lined up as a possible partner rather than replacement for Nelsen.

The vital difference now from the Pickering, Newton , England, Field, Jones, Oates, Hird, Bailey days is that we don't NEED to sell.

Uncle Jack bent over backwards to try and get Shearer to stay. And Souey couldn't wait to get Duff out of the door so he could start frittering away most of the 17m.

It's not the first time a story like this seems to keep on hanging over us like the sword of damocles...nine times out of ten it results in an unhappy end for Rovers. :(

Hope this doesn't happen (the Bellamy on-off transfer/clause thingy has left me all worried about this kind of running gossip) and Ryan stays...besides, I agree, 5million certainly is too low for Nelsen.

Good reasoning there shillito15. The difference in opinion depends on whether you are viewing it as footballing terms or business terms.

Sad to say in modern days, football clubs are being run as a business. Players being their assets.

I'm not saying I'm happy to let Nelsen leave as he had shown us what a quality player he is to warrant the fees we will receive for him. But if selling him and replacing him with two decent player who had played in the WC (Oojier and Huth). Not only we replace him with equal quality but also raise our club's profile immensely.

Like I said before, Rovers had signed their most valuable player this season in Hughes and with Williams, I can safely say our beloved club is in good hands. So am just relax and see what kind of squad we have after 1st sept. Roll it on. :rover:

Just like to add more. Personally love this article by Andy Neild :Rovers are sexy now

So much of positive vibes coming out from the club and how well we are selling ourselves now.

"We've got great facilities, I'd like to think a good manager, great coaches, good back-up from all departments at the club, and everything is geared to make players better, and that will always be an attraction for footballers."

We could have dubbed ourselves as a small Ajax in England. :D

Edited by RoverJoexx

Uncle Jack bent over backwards to try and get Shearer to stay. And Souey couldn't wait to get Duff out of the door so he could start frittering away most of the 17m.

Would I be right in thinking that;

The more transfers a manager makes in and out the bigger the house and the larger his families bank balances become?

Edited by 3rdpillar

A very good example there shillito15, using Arsenal to prove a point. But, IMO Arsenal are the exception rather then the rule regarding selling your best players for a high fee, while replacing them with cheeper players who might turn out to be stars one day.

Just my opinion.

(awaits a "sod off","stupid retard", "You numpty", "you idiot", kind a answer) <_<

No need to be so defensive, so I'll just ignore the end of your response.

In my opinion though, selling Bellamy for £6.5m and replacing him with a 28 year old European Cup winner with a impressive strike ratio at Domestic, European, and International level and another 28 year old proven Premiership striker for around £4.5m is good business. It also represents squad and team strengthening. Last summer many people said that though they were pleased with the Bellamy arrival, he was many peoples second choice to McCarthy. I hasten to add he was also Hughes' second choice.

I personally would rather have McCarthy and Roberts than just Bellamy. That's what we have. We also have £2m left over.

Ryan Nelsen is a very good player, and our best center back. We signed him for free. However, if we had the chance to replace him with a player such as Huth, who in my opinion, Jose Mourinhos' opinion, Bayern Munchens' opinion and many Premiership clubs managers' opinion is a very good player, for less money than we recieve for Nelsen, then it is something we should seriously consider. Here we have the opportunity to sign a 23 year old German International defender, who has much Premiership, Champions League, UEFA Cup and Major International experience, and who will only get better and better to replace a 28 year old New Zealand International, with no Major International experience and no previous European football experience. Further to this, it is unlikely Nelsen will get much better, if better at all.

Add to this we could also add a Dutch International defender who has played in European Championships, World Cups and Champions League/UEFA Cup as well and potentially still have money left over from the Nelsen sale.

Again, I personally would prefer Huth and Ooijer as opposed to just Nelsen.

This I suspect would still leave us with the original transfer kitty still untouched.

One thing I would like to make clear is I in no way want Nelsen to leave.

What I am trying to stress is that there is every reason for Rovers to seriously consider the scenarios I have highlighted, and that the fans shouldn't be disheartened at the prospect of this particular piece of business going ahead.

Ps. I believe there is a high possibility of Huth, Nelsen and Ooijer all playing in the same Rovers team this season, and obviously that would be the perfect scenario, unless keeping Nelsen meant we couldn't splash out on a creative midfielder. Imagine Petrov, Huth and Ooijer. Would Nelsens' departure be quite so painful then?

He shouldn't do.

I don't believe this stuff about Souness being desperate to get rid of Duff. Souey might've been blinkered in some of his decision-making but he, of all people, would've known how important Duff was to the team.

Duff almost single-handedly propelled us into the UEFA cup, when he return for the last segment of the season to score crucial goals, under Souey.

3rd pillar; pre- the Stevens Inquiry: yes.

Now, why do you think the transfer market is so sticky? It isn't being greased.

Two major problems with Shillito's analysis:

- injury prone as applied to Nelsen? I think not- his first game was 15 january 2005 since when he has started 56 games (none coming on from the subs' bench) and has been subbed just 3 times including once when he tried to play on with a broken leg. Huth, on the other hand, won't be kicking a ball before January.

- Clubs look at their finances as a whole but players (including their depreciation accounts) individually. On the basis there is no way we could recruit a replacement as good as the Admiral (we'd be elbowed out by CL clubs if any became available) and the buying club are a direct competitor, Pompey are going to have to pay way over the odds to get Rovers interested. Going up in £300K intervals every week means they will get in range when the January transfer window comes round. :P

Apart from that, den is pretty well spot on. I can only think of the sale of Bailey and purchase of McKenzie where the club strengthened playing-wise by use of the star player proceeds. Arsenal ARE different; they can click their fingers and usually players come running.

Hughes "Blackburn are sexy now" the other night is working towards correcting the perception of the club so that players might come if we click our fingers and whistle for them. :)

Edited by philipl

I think that if Pompey offer us a decent amount (£6 million+) we should sell Nelsen. Ooijer is coming in, Todd is fit, as is Zurab. Neill hasn't gone yet, he can cover the mddle very well and Emerton can be lodged at right back.

It would make sense for the club. We have one thread whining about attendances and the unloyal local public. We have a chance to offset the gates with this without damaging the team, but many want us to spend silly money trying for something we will never achieve. The Jack Walker days are long gone, we have to sustain ourselves and if that is retooling now and again to stay solvent so be it.

If Nelsen had been offered double what Rovers are paying at the moment, how whould he find this out ? Surely this would be classed as Tapping up a player. if this was the case then if I was JW i would allow him to leave, then sue the ass of portsmouth, claiming compensation for the transfer in excess of what we would receive now.

But the main point is HAS NELSEN SAID HE WANTS TO LEAVE ??

all i've seen is the same interview repeated over a few weeks which says its with the suits at the moment!!!

Papers make things up typical example could be:

Jurno: So I hear portsmouth are after you

RN: Yes, its with the suits at the moment, but i am not interested unless Blackburn feel like they want to sell me.

All the newspaper would take would be "Yes, its with the suits at the moment," because this sells stories. if you get what I am saying.

After worrying myself about Nelsen leaving, I remembered Steven Reid. A while ago it looked like he might leave, a premiership club had put in a bid for him and he was stalling over signing a new contract. Tottenham must be a much more attractive proposition for a Londoner than Portsmouth for a Kiwi surely?

So...hopefully the Admiral will be dropping his anchor and staying at Ewood Port for many a year...who knows...maybe he'll promoted to...ahem...Captain?

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.