BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Vs Man Utd. 1st Leg

bob fleming

Carling / Worthington / Milk / Coca-Cola / Rumbelows / Khyber Café / League Cup Semi Final 1st Leg, Ewood Park.

I was going to do a bit of an interview with a Manchester United fan for this but I only know one decent one and I haven’t seen Terry for ages. So I ain’t bothering with that lot. You can probably guess what they’d say anyway.

Here we go again then, following QPR at home we have a re run of the Semi Final from 2002/03. Except this time we’re at home first. A good thing or a bad thing?

Well, if last time was anything to go by then maybe a good thing. We went to Manchester United Plc (as they were romantically known as back then when they were happy) and drew 1-1. David Thompson scored as I’m sure most of you will remember. I seem to recall we did rather well and we were optimistic going into the second leg at home. It wasn’t to be. Andrew Cole opened the scoring for us and whilst I don’t like giving them any credit, they were better than us and scored three. Whatever. Bah!

Anyway, times have changed since then. We’re rather good at this moment in time and we’re on a cracking run. I fancy our chances at home against almost anyone at the moment. United are in crisis I read the other week, they’ve fallen all the way down the league, as far as second. At the time or writing they’re still in the FA Cup as well. Has Ferguson resigned yet?

Since season 2001/02 when we returned from that dark place where burnley play their games (no, not t’turf: Division 2, aka Division 1, aka The Championship) our league record against the Red Scum reads as follows:

Played 9. Won 3. Drawn 3. Lost 3.

Lest we forget our last game against them saw us leave Old Trafford victorious for the 1st time in 300 years thanks to two goals from Morten Gamst Pedersen Tra La La La La.

So what have we learnt from this very brief history lesson? Jack Diddley Squat mate that’s what. On their day they’ll beat us, on our day we’ll beat them.

Will Rio lose his concentration and start playing with his comedy syrup? Will Scholes remain invisible as he has been for much of this season? Will Christine injure herself doing her 800th step over in the first half hour? Will Fat Wayne just pack it in for a couple of games?

Perhaps more importantly: will big Shefki put his boots on the right feet? Will Savage avoid being booked in the opening 5 minutes? Will MGP produce another fantastic goal when it matters? Will Bellamy start and finish the entire game?

Perhaps even more importantly than that, will we get a decent ref?

Who knows? All I know is that I hope we sell out and the Blackburn public get right behind the team. The team deserves our support now for the effort and consistency that they’ve shown, as does Mark Hughes. The last couple of seasons have been pretty dire – a great night next Wednesday and a great night in Trafford on the 25th will see us return to Cardiff (again, but for the last time) and will go a long way to erasing some of those memories.

Make no mistake these are great times for Rovers and the future looks bright. Let’s have it!

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it goes against common thinking but playing at home first is actually better for us in this one.

They don't have to win it at our place to progress, maybe happy with a draw. Then who knows at Old Trafford? Got a result once there already, and pressure would be all on them.

I know it goes against common thinking but playing at home first is actually better for us in this one.

They don't have to win it at our place to progress, maybe happy with a draw. Then who knows at Old Trafford? Got a result once there already, and pressure would be all on them.

371718[/snapback]

Totally agree.

I always think home first is best, so you aren't stuck in two minds what to do, which you can be depending on what happened in the away leg.

Always best to be certain at home.

I reckon 2-2, which may not be good enough.

Booked six tickets by phone today for the Jack Walker, only two of us Rovers, and for 3 who’ve never been Ewood before.....Come On You Blues!!!!! tinykit.gif

371864[/snapback]

We got three extras and may be getting a couple more yet. this is a game to take people along to.

I think we'll manage 29000. We had 19200 Rovers for Portsmouth so we should keep those, add 2000 on the home support plus 8000 or so from Essex.

......thanks bob

We certainly should get close to a sell out!

The Glazers have let the RFW into the sweet shop and he's scoffed the lot all at one go- he's spent the annual £12m transfer allowance by the 8th January!

I know very little about their two new defensive signings. Hopefully they will have less than happy debuts but I cannot imagine that the Rovers' task has got any easier.

Rovers 1 Mancs 2

...but Bob's preview was a classic!

I think we should get 1-0 at ewood and hopefully leave old trafford 0-0

but here's hoping we have the form just need rooney to have a bad day maybe someone can take coleen shopping on the day run up the credit card bill get him stressed then we're laughing rio just tell him it's there's a party after the game all party essentials available(if you know what i mean) his mind will wonder.

EARY EASY EASY

i hope

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.