BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers Vs Man Utd. 1st Leg

bob fleming

I roared with a mixture of amusement and frustration as Kuqi, with a clear sight of goal, thumped the ball straight ahead of him and out of play-absolutely awful.

373635[/snapback]

I think we all felt the same way.

The man is not a footballer in any sense of the word. He's a bloody good athlete, don't get me wrong, but he is a woeful footballer and would get laughed at abroad where technique is of even higher important.

He's a decent sub to bring on just to disrupt the defence, but he's never going to be (or rather, never should be) a regular start. Ever.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

about the Savage incident, what it should have been was a Red for Smith, and yellos for Rooney and Savage.

However, given refereeing bias over the past few weeks, it could very easily have been a red for Savage with a routine slaughtering by next day's papaers, and only a yellow for Smith.

Stiles' decision was fair more or less

Point number one

Man Uniteds away support is without doubt the best in the country, loads of people, all singing, loads of different amusing and original songs, puts the home crowds to shame.

Point number two

Credit to Rovers, United were at full strength and we still contained them, indeed in the first half we dominated.

Roll on Old Trafford.

Looking back on the refs performance I thought he only really got the Dickov booking totally wrong.

He was actually almost fair - though I still felt United got more than their share of 50/50 decisions.

As for the Smith / Savage / Rooney incident - it was possibly the best way to deal with it. However - Smiths challenge was a red card offence, Savage's reaction (though justified) would have also been a red card offence for some referees - as would Rooney's reaction to Savage putting him in a head lock.

The one thing that was missed (mainly by the linesman who was directly in line with it) was Ferdinands two handed push in the back of Bellamy - and absolutely certain penalty (though you could debate whether in the box or not).

Overall a draw was a fair result - giving us plenty to play for. I wonder how much of our second half performance was due to them being fresher than us (after resting virtually their entire team at the weekend).

As said by somebody else previously - we desperately need a striker to support Bellamy. Kuqi works very hard for the team - but the number of times United attacks were set up by his bad control was a joke.

I think the reason Manure had so much ball in the second half was due to all the yellow cards the ref gave us. He managed to sway the game their way in a very subtle manner, taking the tackling ability away from us for fear of a second yellow and sending off.

How did Smith escape with just a yellow after his disgraceful lunge?

Yes the ref was scared of another Fergie tongue lashing.

Overall I'm happy with the draw and pleased it's still all to play for at OT. smile.gif

another fiddle!!!if there were thousands of empty seats i couldnt see em....and the blackburn end was shocking tonight,about 50 singing and getting behind the team the rest just sat on there hands aprt from 10 mins in 2nd half...it was a semi and the people didnt care...

373649[/snapback]

Sorry Abs but fron the JW Upper you couild see the BBE Upper was only 35% to 40% and the BBE Lower had big gaps at the lower corners.

The JW was full at my end but empty nearer to the Darwen End as was the Riverside.

But the performance should, I hope, enduce more to turn up.

After watching the game slightly delayed (was out for the first half) god bless skyplus and the fast forward button.

United were the better side, however they are not infallible. We have a 30% - 40% chance of winning ot OT. United were the better team last night (mainly from the 2nd half showing) but I dont really remember them forcing Brad into too many saves.

Some Points

1) Goal aside - was MGP on the pitch 2nd half?

2) Bentley? Is it just me or would McAteer do a better job?

3) Kuqi should only be allowed on the pitch after 60minutes.

4) Bad tackle on Savage, but I think the yellows all round were fair.

5) Man Utd fans are not the best away fans in the league, just loud.

6) Still cant see us winning at OT, maybe we can draw 2-2

Sorry Abs but fron the JW Upper you couild see the BBE Upper was only 35% to 40% and the BBE Lower had big gaps at the lower corners.

The JW was full at my end but empty nearer to the Darwen End as was the Riverside.

But the performance should, I hope, enduce more to turn up.

373705[/snapback]

There's no way there was 6500 empty seats, a couple of thou at the most wink.gif

I really can't see why Sparky left Kuqi on for so long yesterday. Not only is his fitness very poor, his technique is very poor in some areas. On his day he is a good player but when he has a slightly bad game, he really lets the side down. Kuqi should of been off before we even brought Reid and Bert on, he was nackered.

Dickov could be the man to support Bellamy until we can get a Bellers a partner of near or equal quality of himself.

I feel that Dickov in a way sets the tone for the side, when the side see's him chasing sown after ball, even lost causes in some cases, i feel it lifts the side and they start to give that extra 5/10%.

If you look at the Yellow card timings, the four to either side were handed out at roughly the same time- our first yellow was to Bellamy which was a stupid one. Savage's was stupid as well, Tugay had it coming and Dickov was extremely harsh but he had been warned and it looked bad even though he missed Neville with the challenge he got booked for!

So you can hardly claim the Yellows were preventing us from tackling- none of the defenders got booked.

As for the penalty- it was a nailed on penalty inside the area. I don't know what the UK coverage was like, but even the United-loving Sky coverage we got in Malta replayed the incident twice and said something to the effect of "it was a clear firm two handed push, in the area (silent gulp)". The linesman missed it all ends up and I think the prospect of eleven snarling reds in his face might have helped his myopia.

That said, the Rovers crowd missed it as well as there was very little noise from them about the decision.

One final comment, Bentley was superb in the first half. The first time I thought there was a good case for signing him permanently. The second half reminded me why not though.

Edited by philipl

Good game last night; both teams were up for it and United showed us a lot of respect with the team they put out. Although we didnt create much, the fight was there. However, I was disappointed with a number of things;

1.) Played too deep and gave United time and room in midfield to get a foothold in the game - why were we not right in there faces and our midfield on the half way line? like at Old Trafford? E.g. there was one occassion in the second half when Giggs got the ball just to the left of the centre circle and not one Rovers player was within 20 yards of him - poor for a home side.

2.) Kuqi was goosed - why didnt he get subbed at half time? He works hard but if he has time to think his ability shows through - or lack of it should I say. Given a split second on the ball and he does a good move/scores.

3.) Our distribution from defence was appalling? we must have given them the ball over 20 times last night, just in the first half. We cant afford to do that with the likes of Ronaldo/Rooney picking up the pieces.

4.) Having said all this - United didnt have many more shots on goal than us.

5.) How annoying are the Man United ''fans''? Singing nursery rhymes all night! Do they not realise that the mixture of Devon, Cockney, Manc (2 of them), Norfolk etc accents make it almost impossible for us to understand what they are singing?

One final comment, Bentley was superb in the first half. The first time I thought there was a good case for signing him permanently. The second half reminded me why not though.

373713[/snapback]

Totally agree, but to be fair to the guy, none of the attacking players would be worth signing based on second half performance, we simply weren't in that match second half.

I thought the referee did Ok. I think Smith should of gone because he jumped in with intent to hurt savage. The ref also gave some frustrating decisions like the booking for Dickov – but overall he let the game go on and didn’t stop it for too many little things. Infact if we have the same refereeing in the 2nd leg then maybe rovers will get a little stuck into them. I also think it showed how much we have improved by the side that Ferguson put out – I think he knew only too well that if he put a few kids out then we may well of put the tie beyond them.

I thought we did well because in the 2nd half were well below our best and I thought on the night; 3 people had an off night – Tugay, Kuqi & Bentley. In the 2nd leg I would prefer somebody else on the right as I haven’t been too impressed with Bentley so far. Except for the game at Bolton & maybe in parts of the 1st half last night I don’t really think he has done too much.

The ban for Bellamy @ Newcastle isn’t a bad thing either – Gives him 11 days rest between Bolton & United away so that should work in his favour.

Also between now and the next game we face Bolton & Newcastle where as United face Man City – Burton & then Liverpool on the Sunday – so it gives us an extra day rest and also they face a really tough game.

Rovers to the final! Keep the faith!!

But didn't Bellamy get a yellow when Van Der Saar collided with one of his own players?

373678[/snapback]

Yes he did and giving the foul against Kuqi was a weak decision by Stiles. BUT Bellamy's was obviously for dissent which is his own fault entirely. Stupid to miss the Mags game for such a ridiculous loss of self control. He deserves a right old bollocking from the rest of the team and the manager.

Yes he did and giving the foul against Kuqi was a weak decision by Stiles. BUT Bellamy's was obviously for dissent which is his own fault entirely.  Stupid to miss the Mags game for such a ridiculous loss of self control.  He deserves a right old bollocking from the rest of the team and the manager.

373722[/snapback]

Yes, it was for dissent.

It's a strange law that one, every single player has a go at the ref during every match that's played, yet very few are cautioned.

I think the difference must obviously be in the content and the direction that the dissent takes.

One snippet that nobody has mentioned yet re:discipline is the 'spectacle' sign that Ferdinand made to the linesman near the end when he missed giving an offside against us. Most players in most leagues in this country would have had a yellow for that.

Regarding Bellamy's booking, my Mrs said that it was mentioned on the tv last night, that Bellamy wasn't allowed to play against Newc anyway. They had it written into his contract.

Anyone else hear that?

373734[/snapback]

Becky said that.

But it would be unlawful, Rovers can choose not to play him - a la Savage last season.

But for all Birminghams bluster they could never enforce a clause in a contract to that effect.

I think the difference must obviously be in the content and the direction that the dissent takes. 

373731[/snapback]

You see players effing and blinding at refs every week, never getting booked.

Do the refs only hear it from players they want to hear it from?

Did Bellamy say more than just swearing at the ref, what terrible words could he have used? Cheat ! or maybe Biased !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.