BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Moaning Managers

This just crept on me from the Sam Allerdice v Allan Green Thread.

I just thought I'd create a league table of managers who you just want to smack in the gob.

The worst are at the top. The good guys are at the bottom. Feel free to have a juggle.

(i)Jose Mourinho: Rich as Croesus still moans like a c**t whenever one of his players cripples another and vice versa. He could have 11 broken legs in the squad and still win the Premiership. You've got English as a second/third language as an excuse for the moment.

(ii)Sam Allerdyce: I am fast going off Sam. I used to think he was a good guy doing good things with a small team on a limited budget. However his past six months of unfettered moaning and griping about just everything from offsides, to the state of the pitch, to fixture congestion, onto his players going off the The Africans Nations Cup just about gets on my busoms. Shut your gob Sam.

(iii) RFW: What more can we add to the genius of RFW? If anything he has been a victim of his own success in the past. Who can ever forget the grey shirts at Southhampton & the rugby match played at The Theatre Of Nighmares two weeks before. Plus his refusal to talk to the BBC and MUFCTV.

(iv) Harry Redknapp: I was going to put Harry at about (ix) but then thought about it a bit. He left West Ham in a hissy fit, then the did the same to Portsmouth, Southampton & as he's back at Portsmouth he's having a whine about how the squad isn't just the way he left it. Plus he twitches. You watch him on telly. He's like he's got an electronic cattle prod up his rectal passage.

(v) Arsene Wenger He did not see the incident. If he had a handbag with a brick in it he would be dangerous. Quick handshake to oposing manager, then "WHAP"

(vi) Graeme Souness: That complete cow "Lady Luck" was a prominent feature in his last year or so with us. He's dropped her since he went to Newcastle and replaced her with diatrabes aimed at the ref, & moaning at injuries

(vii)Steve Bruce: Bernard Cribbins is a serial moaner from sending-offs to free kicks to penalties to throw-ins. He's learnt from the past master(see iii)

(viii) David O'Leary: Not as bad as he was at Leeds, but still prone to outbursts of self-pity and moaning about having a small squad. Then some penalties

(ix) Chris Coleman: Not bad actually. Usually calm and collected, but can get a bit angry when he sees a dubious decision.

(x) Alan Pardew (see ix)

(xi) Alan Curbishley (see ix)

(xi) Steve McLaren: (see ix) sorry, getting a bit lazy...

(xii) David Moyes "The Gargoyle" as Liverpool fans fondly know him, is usually eloquent and fair-minded and has been known in the past to admit that "the boy deseved that booking" & " I thought the sending off was a little bit harsh." That's his own players BTW

(xiii) Bryan Robson generally keeps his gob shut. He knows he's facing a hard task and has decided not to blame it on everyone else.

(xiv) Raphael Benitez: One of the most restrained and laid back managers. Most people were rather surprised by his condemnation Of Bolton last week as he usually doesn't speak out.

(xv) Stuart Pierce: How the heck Psycho does't transfer his pitch-side angst to the TV cameras & the press is beyond me, He should be there in front of the sponsors' names screaming abuse at the players, the backroom staff, the supporters, the board at MCFC, the shareholders, Manchester City Council, and everyone who didn't buy The Lurkers first record. He'll crack one day and it'll be great.

(xvi) Mark Hughes

(xvii) Martin Jol: a bit like (xiv) really. He doesn't have a tendancy to get all precious.

(xvii) Mick McCarthey: Mick is well and truely screwed so there is little point in him complaining about an offsided flag when thay have lost 5-0 again. He's resigned to his fate.

(xviii) (thats 18 BTW) Paul Jewel: Gob shut, mind open. Good bloke.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great list Col. I don't really mind any of them apart from two.

When O'Leary tilts his head to one side and starts that softly spoken Blarney I have to turn over.

Pardew... Pardew ? Looks like he models knitting patterns, that character from the 'Fast Show' which was nice. Smarmy middle class get, hate him.

One of the nicest (apart from the sparkster) has got to be Martin Jol.

372194[/snapback]

Good bloke but I think it's cause of Wigan exceeding all expectations. Maybe under pressure he might change. In the meantime he seems content to let his boss do the whingeing on his behalf.

Good bloke but I think it's cause of Wigan exceeding all expectations.  Maybe under pressure he might change.  In the meantime he seems content to let his boss do the whingeing on his behalf.

372296[/snapback]

To be honest I always liked Paul Jewell when he was at Bradford, but then again you could say that they exceeded all expectations by staying in the Premiership too. I think the top five Premiership managers I sincerely dislike are:

1) Graeme Souness - for obvious reasons, but also the way he never seems to be able to muster the slightest of smiles. Now I know there are some miserable gets out there (Sparky being one of them), but this guy takes the p!ss. Everybody hates him. Even his kids.

2) Alex Ferguson - refuse to call him 'sir'. I think he underservedly takes 100% of the credit that is given to Manchester United, when there are some other factors that have played a part in the building of his club. Off the field, he has had the backing of a couple of the most successful chief execs around - namely Peter Kenyon. On the field, he has had the luck of having the early 90's youth crop. You give any club an 18yr-old David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, Paul Scholes and Nicky Butt, and they are hardly going to be moaning about the lack of promising youth.

3) Steve Bruce - his smug little face sums up everything I feel about Brum City. He thinks he's a better manager than he really is, and the way he left Huddersfield and Crystal Palace was truly sh!te.

4) 'Arry Redknapp - his twitch, as Col says, is very very annoying. He does not seem to possess any loyalty in his managerial career - Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton must all really hate each other and for one manager to manage all four seems very bizzarre to me. He's southern aswell which never helps matters.

5) David Moyes - just because I do. He whinges, he's managed Nob End and pretty much achieved naff all, yet still seems to be regarded in the press as one of the most promising managers around. He also got 30mil for a youth player and has spent it on nothing but plasters and bandages.

Great list Col. I don't really mind any of them apart from two.

When O'Leary tilts his head to one side and starts that softly spoken Blarney I have to turn over.

Pardew... Pardew ? Looks like he models knitting patterns, that character from the 'Fast Show' which was nice. Smarmy middle class get, hate him.

One of the nicest (apart from the sparkster) has got to be Martin Jol.

372288[/snapback]

Generally agree.

Despise O'Leary, and used to hate Pardew but has always been very fair and complimentary towards Rovers.

1) Graeme Souness - for obvious reasons, but also the way he never seems to be able to muster the slightest of smiles. Now I know there are some miserable gets out there (Sparky being one of them), but this guy takes the p!ss. Everybody hates him. Even his kids.

372427[/snapback]

(my bold)

Really? And you know this how?

Edited by Shaddy

• 2 months later...

He was doing the same on Saturday, Nick. I gather that many Villa fans have now had enough of him and were chanting for O'Leary to go after an inept peformance at Goodison Park, where they lost 4-1 to Everton.

To be fair to Villa, they did put up a pretty good performance at Ewood the previous weekend, but couldn't bury their chances. It has though generally been a miserable season for Villa - humiliated against Doncaster in the League Cup, losing 3-0, and firmly positioned in the wrong half of the table all season.

Like their Midlands rivals Birmingham, Villa fans like to think of themselves as being supporters of a "massive club". While it's true that they did win the European Cup in 1982, since then they've only had two League Cup wins (in 1994 and 1996) to show for the last 24 years.

Dennis Mortimer, who played for Villa in the 1982 European Cup final win over Bayern Munich, said: "There have got to be question marks over David O'Leary and where he is going with this team. There is a lot of confusion surrounding the club and Villa could find themselves in an even more dire position than they are in now."

Mortimer has also called for Doug Ellis to quit. "Ellis should have left the club five years ago and retired to a villa in Spain to let someone else have a go. This club has become very complacent under his leadership. We lived the dream in 1981 and 1982 and since then the club has struggled to emulate those times."

One Villa fan, quoted in the press as an Independent Supporters spokesman, says that O'Leary has "run out of excuses" and has been busy this season blaming everyone else for their poor results, without wanting to take responsibility for his own mistakes.

When O'Leary was appointed at Villa Park in 2003, he said that his aim was to establish Villa as a top six club. He became the club's 10th manager in 20 years - with 'Deadly Doug' not noted for his patience as far as managers are concerned. If Villa fans continue with their protests against O'Leary, it will be interesting to see if 'Deadly Doug' pulls the trigger.

Also on the theme of moaning managers, I think the events of the last few weeks have demonstrated once again the arrogance of Jose Mourinho. His team were clearly outplayed over two legs by Barcelona, but Jose refused to acknowledge this fact. I thought Mourinho's behaviour at the Hawthorns recently was a disgrace when he refused to shake Bryan Robson's hand after the game.

This is the third time that Mourinho has refused to shake hands with an opposition manager, having pulled the same stunt against Mark Hughes last season, and also against Arsene Wenger earlier this season at Highbury. When will Mourinho learn some etiquette and manners? Or is he determined to remain a pig-headed egotist?

Mourinho was clearly guilty of hypocrisy recently when he condemned what he said was playacting by Barcelona players. A couple of weeks earlier he defended Arjen Robben's shameful playacting against Liverpool.

There was a similar hypocrisy when Mourinho condemned Rovers' tackling at Ewood Park, and later defended Michael Essien for a couple of disgraceful tackles this season.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

I thought RFW and Whinger were bad, but honestly, Mourinho is the worst of them all.

He simply cant accept that his team can lose fair and square, and he now has the galls to say everyones biased against them.

Sure, RFW and Whinger are hypocritical but Mourinho is hypocritical in a much more blatant way

Also on the theme of moaning managers, I think the events of the last few weeks have demonstrated once again the arrogance of Jose Mourinho. His team were clearly outplayed over two legs by Barcelona, but Jose refused to acknowledge this fact. I thought Mourinho's behaviour at the Hawthorns recently was a disgrace when he refused to shake Bryan Robson's hand after the game.

This is the third time that Mourinho has refused to shake hands with an opposition manager, having pulled the same stunt against Mark Hughes last season, and also against Arsene Wenger earlier this season at Highbury. When will Mourinho learn some etiquette and manners?  Or is he determined to remain a pig-headed egotist?

391912[/snapback]

No he is a pig-head with a typically familiar Latin temperamant. Charming in the extreme when everything is going well and a little whingeing sh1t throwing hissy fit tantrums when the opposite is happening. All so predictable really.

tell you what aesf he's affected the temperament of his squad too. I cannot stand John Terry nowadays, if their is a bigger big head and more aggravating ref-threatening whinger I have yet to see it. Kinell he's a half decent centre half whose slow but with decent positional sense and a good tackle on him. He's staring to believe the stupid soft puffs in the southern based press circus.

tell you what aesf he's affected the temperament of his squad too.  I cannot stand John Terry nowadays, if their is a bigger big head and more aggravating ref-threatening whinger I have yet to see it.  Kinell he's a half decent centre half whose slow but with decent positional sense and a good tackle on him.  He's staring to believe the stupid soft puffs in the southern based press circus.

391966[/snapback]

I agree that players often reflect their managers' attitude.

How many Liverpool players actually try to intimidate the referee like Terry does?

Or how many Rovers players go to ground easily ?

These are plus points that are present in Benitez and Hughes respectively, and it has rubbed on to their players

I thought Mourinho's behaviour at the Hawthorns recently was a disgrace when he refused to shake Bryan Robson's hand after the game.

391912[/snapback]

Where is your condemnation of Robson's behavior that led up to that? He was as bad as Jose is, but I don't see you, or too many other people, complaining about him.

Guess that's because he's not foreign.

What I hate is the bias from the media towards the likes of Mourinho. He moaned and moaned about the handball yesterday but because he hugged Chris Coleman, he's suddenly the most sporting bloke ever. Maybe they don't remember the time he refused to shake Mark Hughes's hand because his team outplayed them?

Robson's reaction was tempermental but not extreme. Calling him a umm...cigarette...was a little harsh, but I'm sure managers call their counterparts, the ref's, the opposition players, their own squad, their own staff, their mothers, their mother's friends, etc. worse during the course of a game. Mourinho was hilarious because he didn't start his run-up on Robson until there were about 15 stewards between them, and then only calls Robson a erm...kittycat after Robson had walked away. A Manc or not, I was hoping that Robson would stomp all over Mourinho's gob.

Mourinho has gotten considerably worse this season. His antics against Barcelona highlighted how much of a brat he is. After the sending off of Del Horno (Robben was flying around worse than Asier that game, by the way) he had the nerve to say that Barca never beat them 11 on 11. Well no sh!t, Sherlock. But they did beat you 11 on 10 when it really should have been 11 on 9. What we're seeing from Mourinho is how manager's act when they are under pressure. It is evident that he and Abramovich covet the Champ's League cup more than the Premiership. Otherwise everyone at Chelsea would be happy little campers.

• 2 weeks later...

Glenda still bitter about being sacked by Spurs and England

There was more softly-spoken Irish blarney from Mr O'Leary on Saturday night after they were thrashed 5-0 by Arsenal.

Ask O'Leary why his team have lost heavily again and he gets on-message. "I know where we need to improve and where we need to buy new players, but the situation that the club is in means that is not viable," he says.

I wonder if he's trained his parrot to recite that statement as he well as he does....

O'Leary always likes to give the impression he hasn't been able to spend a penny in the transfer market at Villa Park. He pleads poverty, but I gather he's spent £23 million on players since he arrived at the club - including such midfield gems as Djemba-Djemba and Mathieu Berson.

As with Glenn Hoddle, who upset the England squad by writing his infamous World Cup diary, O'Leary also upset the dressing room at Elland Road when he wrote a book for his own financial gain: "Leeds United On Trial". He spent over £100m at Leeds and now finds himself in the bottom five of the Premiership with Villa - who aren't completely safe from relegation yet.

Instead of pleading poverty at Villa Park, when will Mr O'Leary take responsibility for his own transfer blunders?

"Please Sir, can I have some more...."

user posted image

O'Leary's poverty pleas are becoming so tedious, I expect Chris Martin and St. Bono the Pious to launch a new series of claret and blue wristbands. He is under similar restrictions to Mark Hughes, or Big Fat Sam, and they don't bleat about how their squad is too small or how hard it is to work with no money. But then, they are both decent managers who have earned comparative success for their teams.

As Anti Smiths Euro fan (sic) said, he has actually spent a fair amount of money, and it is his fault it was blown on the likes of Djemba-Djemba when bargains like Nelsen, Bellamy and Stelios were knocking about.

Fat Sam used to love to go on about how little was at his disposal, but he doesn't seem to bother anymore. He just moans about the fact that he's a fat frog-faced (Please don't use that word again) stops him getting more glamorous jobs. Can't stand the man. Or Ferguson. And Steve Bruce is pretty damned irritating too.

Where is your condemnation of Robson's behavior that led up to that? He was as bad as Jose is, but I don't see you, or too many other people, complaining about him.

Guess that's because he's not foreign.

392018[/snapback]

I'm not sure if I missed something but as far as I could tell Robson gave them some grief about coming out of the tunnel several minutes late, which seems fair, and then things became heated on the touchline in a close game during which both teams did their fair share of dangerous tackels and spectacular dives, though Chelsea probably ended up winning on every front.

Now all of that seems to be pretty standard football stuff and at the end of most matches you'll see managers put it to the side enough to at least be able to shake hands. His failure to do so says a lot about the man, how much he thinks of himself and the lack of respect he has for his fellow managers, opposition and the history of the English game.

372194[/snapback]

Still think he keeps his "Gob shut"? biggrin.gif

As someone mentioned, he was cool and collected only coz he was exceeding expectations. However, when he feels hard done by, as in yesterdays game, he doesnt seem any better than most managers.

His comments last night may put him in a lot of hot water.....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.