SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brisa Attendance Improvement Proposal

Scotty

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'novelty' factor of being in a new stadium will ensure full houses next year.

379877[/snapback]

To be honest even if Arsenal have three or four bad seasons they are going to continue to be a massive club. They have been extremely successful in a crucial time for football, just as the game was opening up on sky, and managed to put considerable distance between themselves and the other London clubs in terms of support, although Chelsea are catching up. They now have a massive fanbase around the world and throughout the South East (huge amounts of fans in Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire which used to be a very fertile United/Liverpool area).

They should always be able to fill the stadium for Premiership games irrespective of how well they do in the league apart from, obviously, if they were relegated. Poor performaces however would massively affect the ludicrous sums that they charge for boxes. Chairmen will not view it as an ideal way to entertain clients if the games are bottom of the table scraps with unfashionable clubs.

What is interesting about this is that now the North/South wealth gap is going to be seriously exploited. Traditionally the richest clubs have been in the north (Man Utd, Liverpool) due to larger attendances but Chelsea and Arsenal are going to annihalate everybody in ticket revenue. The notion of on the field competition continues to be slowly eroded.

Well said AESF,

I do think that there is a bit of a gulf between the "big boys" who feel that they are head and shoulders above the rest of us. They are marketing themselves as global brands and, it has to be said, they don't really give a monkeys about the fans because they currently know that they have enough clout to sell out most weeks and to sell £30 replica shirts to Hong Kong teenagers (with apologies to any HK teenagers who may be reading.)

The rest of us (I'm thinking along the likes of Boro; Fulham; Charlton et al) will just have to carry on as we have done for years, boosted by Sky TV revenue (who would like to show Chelsea v Arsenal every week) and depending on local support to top up the coffers. Lets face it, no one in HK is going to be buying a Boro, Fulham, Charlton or Rovers shirt, nor paying to watch us on satellite, nor coming to the ground to watch a match.

Still, I'd rather watch Rovers knowing that the other 15,000 home fans in there were solid Rovers fans rather than a bunch of trainee accountants from Essex up on a team-bonding exercise, or a 747-load of Malaysian stockbrokers up for a reward for meeting their targets.

Over & out

What is interesting about this is that now the North/South wealth gap is going to be seriously exploited. Traditionally the richest clubs have been in the north (Man Utd, Liverpool) due to larger attendances but Chelsea and Arsenal are going to annihalate everybody in ticket revenue. The notion of on the field competition continues to be slowly eroded.

379885[/snapback]

Surely this cannot be after two full terms and a bit of a Labour govt! But then I'm sure also that I cannot recall any mines being reopened, any shipbuilding and any British car manufacturers etc etc in the last decade either.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.