BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Newell To Meet Fa

Hang on !

Mike Newell is a Football League manager.

He spoke out about his concerns regarding transfers which (given his managerial experience) must have taken place amongst Football League teams.

Why is the inquiry, therefore, only restricted to The Premiership which, presumeably, Newell has no knowledge of ?

There may have been purchases/loans involving Premiership teams and those from the lower leagues, but he is suggesting that the 'bung culture' soley involves top tier clubs.

The last words of Newell on that interview: "Don't you think its interesting that certain agents do repeat deals with certain Managers?"

Under Souness we did seem to be linked with a lot of French African players offered by an agent called Willie MacKay.

Don't think we bought any, but it is interesting to note that Mr.MacKay was again dealing with Souness at Newcastle, (comment on one of their messageboards was along the lines of 'are they related?'.....).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under Souness we did seem to be linked with a lot of French African players offered by an agent called Willie MacKay.

Don't think we bought any, but it is interesting to note that Mr.MacKay was again dealing with Souness at Newcastle, (comment on one of their messageboards was along the lines of 'are they related?'.....).

388794[/snapback]

Wasn't Lucien Metomo was almost signed for something in the region of £7m...?

Was it Harry Redknapp who sold Rio Ferdinand to Manchester United? I knew the players agent at the time (we both went to the same school) and I don't want to make allegations but there was something not right about that deal!

388792[/snapback]

Did you got to Lancaster Grammar? There was an agent who represented Rio Ferdinand who used to go to our school and came in to our school to do a talk on his career. It was January 2004.

He was the agent of Jamie Redknapp and very good mates with him but still said that Harry Redknapp was one of the most bent managers in the league. He also said that he'd never do transer dealings with Dave Jones because he's corrupt and only ever deals with one agent. At the time he'd just signed a client of this agent - Carl Cort for £2million in a deal he described as suspicious.

He also mentioned that Kevin Keegan and Graeme Souness were both in Willie Mackay's "back pocket." Lucien Mettomo anyone?

He also mentioned that Kevin Keegan and Graeme Souness were both in Willie Mackay's "back pocket." Lucien Mettomo anyone?

388804[/snapback]

Both former Newcastle Managers.

I would imagine that following the tightening up in financial controls that must have happened since George Graham got done, it must be more difficult to pull a bung without some club director complicity.

I think that Mettomo wasn't signed because of a problem with his knee.

He did turn up a while later at City, however (then managed by Keegan). Not sure where he is now though.

Maybe the 'executive contol' of John Williams as far as transfers go was the reason why we were always linked with these players, but hardly signed them (Mettomo, Adrian Ilie, Saloman Olembe, Kaba Diawara, Edouard Corridon, etc.).

Possibly such restraints weren't in place at Newcastle where the unleashed Souness spent £8m on Boumsong (from the MacKay) stable........

MacKay does appear to be squeaky clean, though.

If McKay is clean, then I guess Souness trusts him too much when it comes to finding players. It wouldn't surprise me if Harry Redknapp is bent, there is just something about him that suggests it. It's one of those feelings that you get sometimes.

Is it just me or do you get the feeling that the older managers such as Ferguson (renowned for his avarice), Redknapp etc. feel more corrupt than the younger managers such as Hughes, Moyes and so on. I'm probably wrong but that is the impression that I get.

Did you got to Lancaster Grammar? There was an agent who represented Rio Ferdinand who used to go to our school and came in to our school to do a talk on his career. It was January 2004.

He was the agent of Jamie Redknapp and very good mates with him but still said that Harry Redknapp was one of the most bent managers in the league. He also said that he'd never do transer dealings with Dave Jones because he's corrupt and only ever deals with one agent. At the time he'd just signed a client of this agent - Carl Cort for £2million in a deal he described as suspicious.

388804[/snapback]

On the subject of Harry redknapp......... Read the book "Broken Dreams" by Tom Bower. Good old Harry my arse!

I think that Mettomo wasn't signed because of a problem with his knee.

He did turn up a while later at City, however (then managed by Keegan). Not sure where he is now though.

Maybe the 'executive contol' of John Williams as far as transfers go was the reason why we were always linked with these players, but hardly signed them (Mettomo, Adrian Ilie, Saloman Olembe, Kaba Diawara, Edouard Corridon, etc.).

Possibly such restraints weren't in place at Newcastle where the unleashed Souness spent £8m on Boumsong (from the MacKay) stable........

MacKay does appear to be squeaky clean, though.

388819[/snapback]

Lets be fair here, Boumsong was rated as one of the finest defensive prospects in Europe.

The more suprising thing was he went to Rangers in the first place.

Souness' record was bizarre- in terms of getting high quality players on the cheap few can hold a candle to him: Dickov, Tugay, Pedersen, Thompson, Friedel, Niell and Stead were all excellent purchases for relatively low fees.

Similarly at Newcastle Emre, Solano and Parker all seem to have been excellent value for money buys.

But then he makes some extrodinary blunders with the high transfer fees. Of the Rovers and Newcastle big buys I would only say Owen and Cole look like they could justify the cost, and he managed to force out Cole in the end too essentially wasting some of that money.

Edited by joey_big_nose

• 8 months later...

Not only does Mike Newell want bungs out of the game...but he reckons they can take their women with them!

NEWELL BLAST FOR FEMALE OFFICIALS

"She should not be here. I know that sounds sexist, but I am sexist, so I am not going to be anything other than that.

"We have a problem in this country with political correctness"

Sounds like he would enjoy contributing to the ICBINF forum on here! Could even advertise it. Coming soon to a messageboard near you...Newell's views on the death penalty, global warming and those pesky fake emails doing the rounds! :)

Not well said and I don't want to be branded as part of the pc "problem" by saying this, but his reaction was childish and offensive to women, he should be ashamed and should release an apology. Whether or not the official had made a mistake doesn't justify saying that women have no part in football. We as Blackburn fans know that a good number of mistakes are made by male officials. Sad to see someone who had been carving a good name for himself as a manager make such a fool of himself.

Eddie predictably takes the alternative view...... what a suprise. :rolleyes:

Look (I dont want to be sexist either ;) ) but there are about 30 million males in this country. Is it too difficult to find a few dozen blokes that can referee a bloody kickabout? Newell is quite right and just like Uriah Rennies meteoric rise to the Premiership refereeing list it is pure tokenism.

Well at least with women refs you dont get.

72 mins: Hilarious scenes. The ball very gently hits referee Mark Clattenberg in a, shall we say, unfortunate area and he dramatically collapses. It seems the awkward movement gave him cramp and he gets a quick massage from the physio - on his calf muscles, before you ask. Thierry Henry can barely disguise his amusement.

BBC - Newell faces FA inquiry on 'sexism'

PC gone mad? Or just an oversensitive, as usual, Football Association?

I dont think this can be classed as a 'PC' issue, it's is sexism, no other way of looking at it. Newell is just asking for a kicking from the FA. If he wanted to question the involvement of Women in officiating he could have done it in a way that actually had a structured argument and a less provocative vocabulary. Instead he came accross as a bigot.

The broader issue of should women officiate is tricky- as it is a man's competition in terms of players you can ask why should women officiate. If the theory of equality was taken to the logical extreme you could say that Women should be allowed to compete on the pitch (might actually happen one day...).

What I hardly think is true is that a woman is going to be inherantly worse as an official merely from being a woman.

I think Newell has been quite insensitive & thoroughly sexist with his remarks.

Alas, i fear one question has been overlooked on this matter though....if this woman was running the line at a football match, who was making her husbands tea? :huh:

<_<

I agree with every word he's said. Women get fast-tracked to the top. I've a mate who's a referee (shameful admission), and he when they had to do a fitness test - there was a girl who failed it comfortably - but they let her through as she was a woman.

Get back to the kitchen and make me some pie!

I think woman refs should get a chance but you cant fast track them. Unfortunetly, if a male football player disagrees with a decision then i'm sure some things may come out, which were not meant to be said! I think this was a case of Newell being upset at a decision and he thought a man would judge it much better. His wrong of course, no known official can do a proper job as ref or linesman!

People who shout 'PC gone mad' each and every time anything happens they disagree with are just idiots looking for an excuse. No different from those who shout 'racist!' whenever someone dares speak about immigration or multiculturalism not being perfect.

As for Newell...it's just another excuse to bully officials to try and palm off any reasons to blame his own tactics. The assistant referee obviously knows the rules, her sex shouldn't need to come into it. All refs get slated for being rubbish, why when it is a women is it only her gender that matters? If she is rubbish then criticise her for that - not for being born without a large Adam's Apple!

Mike has apologised - Newell sorry for outburst. Which he should do as his remarks were made when angry and just wishing to make someone else pay for his team's loss. Things are often said in the heat of the moment that aren't fair but it takes a big man to realise when they have been unfair and to make amends.

Newell seems one of the nicer guys in football and his stand on corruption in football commanded respect. It was also interesting to note that QPR defender Marcus Bignott immediately disagreed with his original comments.

I agree with every word he's said. Women get fast-tracked to the top. I've a mate who's a referee (shameful admission), and he when they had to do a fitness test - there was a girl who failed it comfortably - but they let her through as she was a woman.

That is fair enough, if they aren't up to it they shouldn't be allowed in. That is different from blocking them (as some on here would seem to like) solely because they don't have a meat and two veg. They shouldn't be denied a chance, if good enough, because of their gender. It's not just sexist; it's just wrong.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.